TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
AboveAverage484

Favorite Beer...

Shiner is a decent, affordably-priced lager, but little more than that. They have a light beer that's arguably better than any light beer I've ever had, but that's not saying much.

I like Dos Equis okay. I prefer the amber to the regular lager, but really, I never drink it unless I'm eating at a Mexican restaurant, where it goes great with the cuisine.

Shiner Hefeweizen (Hef-ay-vite-zen) is a classic unfiltered Bavarian-style wheat brew. Once poured into a glass, the distinctively cloudy Shiner Hefeweizen delivers a fresh, satisfying flavor from start to finish.

Follow these step-by-step directions to

POUR YOURSELF AN OUT OF BOTTLE EXPERIENCE™

1. POUR half of the bottle into a glass.

2. ROUSE the yeast by swirling the bottle and pouring what's left into the glass.

3. ENJOY this unfiltered brew with a generous wedge of lemon.

Top honors include:

May, 2005

Australian International Beer Awards

Silver Medal, Shiner Hefeweizen, Specialty Wheat Beer

Silver Medal, Shiner Hefeweizen, Specialty Beer Brewed with Honey

May, 2004

Australian International Beer Awards

Gold Medal, Shiner Hefeweizen, Specialty Wheat Beer

Silver Medal, Shiner Hefeweizen, Specialty Beer Brewed with Honey

June 18, 2002

World Beer Cup

Gold Award, Shiner Hefeweizen, Specialty Honey Lager or Ale

Bronze Award, Shiner Hefeweizen, American-Style Wheat Beer

www.shiner.com

Hefeweizen.gif

I've read about the Hefeweizen, but it's not available over here. The only ones I can get in town are the Bock (which I was discussing in my initial post), Light and Blonde. I didn't much like the Blonde.

I do most my beer shopping at select Jax Liquors locations (there's several here, but only a third of them have a good selection), World Market and Broudie's. The last of those is a liquor store out at the beach; they also have a couple of locations in St. Augustine, but neither are quite as up to snuff as the one here. Occasionally, I'll find something a little left-of-center at Publix, but that doesn't happen very often.

Hmm, well I've found a natural foods store called Wild Oats over in Miami Beach, so I think I might do some beer shopping there as well, if you found some things at World Market. I'm going there anyways on Sunday.

What lagers do you like?

Not the biggest lager fan, unless you want to talk about bocks, like Celebrator and Spaten. Oh, and Oktoberfest/marzen-styles, too, like Paulaner or Avery's the Kaiser. Of your basic lagers, Harp is the only one I drink with any regularity.

I had this beer in Arizona last year at the Redskins/Cardinals tailgate, you added a slice of orange to your beer, the way you would add lime to Dos Equis. I forgot what it was called, but damn it was good. We had an entire keg of that and MGD, and you can imagine which keg ran out first.

I had this beer in Arizona last year at the Redskins/Cardinals tailgate, you added a slice of orange to your beer, the way you would add lime to Dos Equis. I forgot what it was called, but damn it was good. We had an entire keg of that and MGD, and you can imagine which keg ran out first.

I would imagine that was Blue Moon.

When that was the case, Natty Ice was my beer of choice for a couple of years in college. Then I discovered Beast Ice tasted better, and then I discovered I could get a great buzz for $2 worth of Steel Reserve.

Natural Ice is the worst beer on the planet.

I'd imagine you haven't had Laker beer. Thats basically sludge with alcohol. Or buzz beer, Weed and alcohol in a drink

I had a beer that was called Rock & Roll Beer once. It was the only beer I've ever had that wasn't skunked but still undrinkable.

I've been really digging microbrews lately. Iron Hill by me has a bourbon aged porter that is strong and tasty.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I find I can get bombed on Red Stripe without vomiting, which is more than I can say for any other beer.

Sapporo

Stella

Asahi

Ruination if I'm in the mood for beer so hoppy it makes my ass clench

Carta Blanca is the best Mexican beer, but I can only find it in restaurants up here.

I've never gotten the Red Stripe thing. I think the only people who like it have been down to Jamaica, and it was the only beer available or something. It tastes much too watery for my tastes.

Oh...I had Presidente in the Dominican Republic, and that was a much better beer than Red Stripe.

I've never gotten the Red Stripe thing. I think the only people who like it have been down to Jamaica

On the plus side, you and 3 drunk buddies can form a terrible jug band!

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Jamaica was actually where I first drank it. It cost less than a dollar per bottle from the guy on the bike with the cooler.

miller high life. they don't sell it here. but when i went to vegas i capitalized on the 12 for 6 dollar deal. like, really. thats insane. why dont canada sell miller high life? or saskatchewan...

Guest Vitamin X

I've gotten into Anchor Steam lately. Now I'm becoming a beer snob.

Miller High Life is what got me started and used to drinking beer. That, and Rolling Rock. Then I moved on to Heineken and other assorted lagers (I still love a good Heiny).

Guiness is probably the most overrated and overhyped beer there is.

Miller High Life is what got me started and used to drinking beer. That, and Rolling Rock. Then I moved on to Heineken and other assorted lagers (I still love a good Heiny).

Probably because people think they are beer connoisseurs by drinking a dark beer, even though it's mediocre compared to the more elite darks.

Guinness is such a light and easy beer to drink. The "liquid bread" reputation it has is ridiculous; I could drink several of them in a row, but it wouldn't be the best way of getting drunk (since it only has about 4% alcohol).

Probably because people think they are beer connoisseurs by drinking a dark beer, even though it's mediocre compared to the more elite darks.

There's a tendency among some beer snobs to dismiss Guinness. Based on beer review websites I've read, most of the criticism seems arbitrary. I guess it's that Guinness is usually the "best" beer you'll find at anyway halfway decent bar, so it's built a rep as being high class or whatever, which your more high-falutin' types bristle at, since they prefer their dark beers to come in stone bottles from a tiny region located in southwest Belgium.

For me, Guinness is a reliable good beer, one I know I can get at about any bar I find myself in. It's reassuring, really.

Keiths for me. Failing that, Amsterdam Blonde - which I used to hate, but it grew on me when it was all that was available at my local watering hole.