TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Adam

Announcers

Right. Well, bottom line, I'm kinda sick of writing the three man commentary team that we have currently. There are only so many Cole/Coach is gay, Coach is an idiot, Caboose kills Coach gags we can do before the team becomes slightly stale. So, I decided to bring this up for discussion. Now, Tony has tried to do something different with having Tony Schiavone and Jesse Ventura for Syndicated, and I like that idea. But, considering the current landscape of wrestling, who, in fact, are the two best commentators today?

Simple. Play by Play is obviously Joey Styles. He can shill without being a retard, and he calls the moves. As for Color Commentary, well, I challenge you to find me a better color commentator in the last five years than Paul Heyman's run in 2001 next to JR. So, its simple. Styles and Heyman for HeldDown.

Didn't we decide sometime last year to drop either Coach or Caboose from the booth?

Anyway, I don't know how much support the change will get, but I'm for it. Hell, I'm for just about everything. The 3 man team is hard to write for.

While I'm open to suggestion, I don't think taking people's real life resumes into consideration matters for the OAOAST. We could make Lee Marshall a Rhodes Scholar and Bastion Booger a member of the Swedish Ski Team if we so desire.

Personally, I like having a face/heel announce team (like Tony/Ventura) because you can play them off each other during a match. It worked fairly well during the Civil War angle since Coach was for the Upstarts and Caboose was for the Originals, but now I think dropping either of them and either putting Coach in the heel role or turning Caboose into one would be the best way.

Either that or we can rip off the SWF and use some old OAOAST guys :P

I don't know about you, Zack, but when I write for a character I've seen in real life, I tend to focus on what they'd actually say, with a few random jokes thrown in. That said, I'd have a lot more fun writing with different people, because Cole and Coach annoy the shit out of me, and picturing them announcing HeldDown makes me want to cry.

Not Styles and Heyman, unless you want bitter anti-ECW sentiments every match I write. And every promo I write.

We need commentators with flaws so we can include jokes. If all the commentators do is call the action it'll be a chore to write matches. So there needs to be a conflict team. I like the idea of Tony and Jesse as Syndicated regulars (even though I didn't use them at Syndicated. Doi!), no problems there.

What we did at the SWF (Oh, the SWF is SOOOOO great, blah blah) was have guest commentators each week. One fixed, with his partner changed up each week. Trouble is writing old characters is tough if you don't know them. Hell, I've never wrote Caboose with an English twang, ever (partly because even though I'm English I'm terrible at it) and I don't know anything about his character. But we could try that for a month, one (or two) fixed commentators with a different old OAOAST veteran in the seat each week. I'd like Cole along with a heel, ala early Cole and Tazz or Cole and JBL.

We could have some fun with that. Having Cole and a heel. Hell, whenever someone wants a break, they could do an injury angle and put them in the commentary booth.

Stephen Joseph!

Seriously. He always did want to do commentary.

But yeah, KC perfectly described my problem with the current team -- I don't know their characters. Caboose is the toughest. He's been funny at times and serious.

Well, I know when we can, in storyline form, actually implement new announcers. I just want us to decide who they are. Perhaps run a poll in HD with the following choices...

- Cole and Coach

- Styles and Heyman

- Cole and Tazz

- Cole and Heyman

- Styles and Tazz

- Styles and an OAOAST Heel, whose identity changes along with angles

- Cole and an OAOAST Heel, whose identity changes along with angles

- Two former OAOAST Superstars

Sign in to follow this