TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

NHL 2006 Off-Season...

Carter, while not the best at either, sounds like the perfect fit of what you just described. Couldn't that have been Bertuzzi?(who, it's quite blatant NEEDS to be replaced somehow).

They have no cap room. Luongo's contract with what the Sedins got closed that hole up quickly. I don't even know if they have the money to sign Linden.

They have no cap room. Luongo's contract with what the Sedins got closed that hole up quickly. I don't even know if they have the money to sign Linden.

Yeah, I realised Bertuzzi wasn't coming back, or Carter for that matter. But there has to be a poor man's version somewhere for Vancouver to at least attempt to stop the bleeding.

Bob Gainey got his contract signed up to 2010.

Dissapointed that Bulis left, but I was not expecting him to produce the same numbers again this year.

Hopefully Garth Murray and Andrei Kotolyshin are ready to be brought up.

Yeah, I realised Bertuzzi wasn't coming back, or Carter for that matter. But there has to be a poor man's version somewhere for Vancouver to at least attempt to stop the bleeding.

They traded for Tayler Pyatt, a 6'4 8th overall pick from 1999. Guy is an underachiever, but so was Bertuzzi when he was acquired. Pyatt is a LW though, so he won't be with the Sedins. He might get a shot with Morrison and Naslund.

The sad thing about the Canucks is they have like 4 million left to sign like 10 players. This is why Bulis and Chouinard were odd signings, and even the trade for Pyatt. That's ~3.5 mil for what could end up as a bunch of 3rd/4th liners.

They traded for Tayler Pyatt, a 6'4 8th overall pick from 1999. Guy is an underachiever, but so was Bertuzzi when he was acquired. Pyatt is a LW though, so he won't be with the Sedins. He might get a shot with Morrison and Naslund.

The sad thing about the Canucks is they have like 4 million left to sign like 10 players. This is why Bulis and Chouinard were odd signings, and even the trade for Pyatt. That's ~3.5 mil for what could end up as a bunch of 3rd/4th liners.

Just out of curioisty, what was the trade? Bert and Mccabe for Linden? NYI = Cleveland Indians in Major League

Just out of curioisty, what was the trade? Bert and Mccabe for Linden? NYI = Cleveland Indians in Major League

New York Islanders traded Todd Bertuzzi, Bryan McCabe and 3rd round selection (Jarkko Ruutu) in 1998 to the Vancouver Canucks for Trevor Linden.

I actually didn't even know that Ruutu was involved...that is such a ridiculously lopsided trade. Especially since Linden ended up right back with the Canucks. After looking into McCabe a bit more, they actually ended up trading him for a pick, which was again traded and used to acquire the 3rd overall pick in the 1999 draft.

Who did the Canucks take there?

*dramatic pause*

Henrik Sedin.

Oddly enough, Pyatt was taken 8th in the same draft. In more bizarre news, the Canucks actually had the players who went 22 and 23 on their team last season, Maxime Ouellet and Steve Mccarthy.

And, looking even further down the list, the Canucks had the 40th overall pick, that they used on Alex Auld. Auld and Bertuzzi eventually brought Luongo to town. So, in one of the most ridiculously lopsided trade ever:

To NYI:

Trevor Linden

To VAN

(Todd Bertuzzi)Roberto Luongo

Jarkko Ruutu

Henrik Sedin

Trevor Linden (he eventually rejoined the Canucks anyways)

Thats fucked up.

I was on TSN.ca and in 1971 Montreal picked Guy Lafleur, the second pick was Marcel Dionne.

In 1979, Montreal picked Doug Wickenheiser first overall. The second pick was Dennis Savard, eight pick was a defenceman named Paul Coffey.

Ok, I knew that trade to get Linden was bad, but I didn't really stop to think about how bad until now.

How in the hell do the Islanders even win games when they do shit like that is a wonder to me.

Ok, I knew that trade to get Linden was bad, but I didn't really stop to think about how bad until now.

How in the hell do the Islanders even win games when they do shit like that is a wonder to me.

The Boston Globe had a write up of the players that the Isles have drafted and traded away in the Mad Mike Milbury era. It's insane the talent that that team HAD and traded away in lopsided deals: Redden, Chara, McCabe, Bertuzzi, Luongo, Kasparaitis, the pick that became Jason Spezza, Berard, Jokinen ... and that's just of the top of my head.

Other than Blackhawks fans (and Bruins fans) no one can complain about their team without considering what life would be like to be a NYI fan.

(and, btw, I dig the avatar, max)

(and, btw, I dig the avatar, max)

grazi.

Hemsky signed a 6 year deal with the Oil. I've heard at about 4 million per. That's an absolute steal for a talent like that.

What's sad about trading all those players away is that they were still able to make the playoffs a few times.

Surprised this hasn't been mentioned yet, but Scott Gomez was awarded $5 mil in arbitration. He's gone -- I don't think Jersey can even consider taking that on with the cap problems they already have.

Sens signed Chris Kelly to a 1-year deal and Chris Neil for three years.

Considering it wasn't 7m, like most though, someone will be willing to take him.

Just who is the question. I'm not sure anyone has the cap space to take him on right now besides well, Edmonton, and frankly we ain't taking someone like Gomez.

Especially not after we busted out the money for Hemsky (but that's over 6 years, which is a steal).

Gomez to Phoenix is a rumour I've heard. I can't believe he wanted $7 mil -- you'd better be a top-10 player in the league for that kind of money, and he's definitely not that.

Also, the Red Wings signed Danny Markov, and Jay Bouwmeester got 2 years, $4.35 million from the arbitrator.

I'm intrigued by Markov, who has lots of potential...and has for about six years now.

Gomez to Phoenix scares me. That's already my darkhorse team this year.

Any news on Briere and Buffalo? I know arbitrator said 5 mil. Didn't Buffalo have 48 hours to decide(which would be in a few hours).

The New Jersey Devils will live with Scott Gomez's $5 million US salary, at least for the time being. Team president and general manager Lou Lamoriello told Toronto's FAN 590 Radio that he will accept the arbitrator's ruling and sign the forward to the one-year contract awarded on Tuesday. The signing would put the team over the $44 million US salary cap, and spark possible trade talks to get the Devils back under budget.

-TSN

The signing would put the team over the $44 million US salary cap, and spark possible trade talks to get the Devils back under budget.

*Is still confused by the CBA. They have to do this by when? First game of the year? First game of THEIR schedule? Opening of training camp? Playoffs?

The Devils are allowed to be at 48 million until the regular season starts, but they can't go over that number. They have to trade someone before signing Gionta. Buffalo can wait to decide on Briere until 48 hours after their last arbitration meeting, and their last one is on August 8th.

Verrrry interesting. The Devils look like they're willing to sacrifice any realistic chance of winning the Cup next season to keep their team intact. Once Mogilny comes off the books at the end of the season, they'll have a little more flexibility.

Buffalo signed Jason Pominville 3 years 3.1 million and Tony Lydman 4 years 11.5 million.

After the Briere award...I think they finally realized they need to sign their guys before they get to their hearing. Lydman's was scheduled for today.

I know this is a little late, but Redbaron you know nothing about hockey. It's cool you like Montreal but seriously... you'd want KEN FUCKING KLEE to play defense and make Francis Boullion play forward... GENIUS!

Nathan Dempsey signed with Boston. I feel bad for anyone that will have to watch him, even if he plays in Providence.

Where does everyone think the goalies will end up?

Either Nabokov or Toskala may be moved.

Giguere will likely be moved.

Legace still doesn't have a team.

St. Louis would likely be interested in any of them, but who else is in need of a goaltender?