TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

NHL 2006 Off-Season...

They'll get bigger offers, but 2 soon to be free agents for a player of Malkin's caliber, not happening. Malkin is like a better Keith Primeau, because Primeau is the only guy I can think of that really compares to him.

I fail to see how this is a bad move for Kessel. He would have been the big fish in the pond in Minnesota, yes. He would have competed for a National Title, yes. But if his dream is to play in the NHL, isn't he making the right decision? He's going to start getting paid, get to play with and against world class players and start his career. Win-win for both parties. Rumors had the Bruins looking to trade Brad Stuart to get a second line winger since there's really nobody on the market that can step in and play on the second line. Kessel is a rookie, yes, but he's arguably the best offensive talent from the draft and has the skills to jump into big boy hockey. Awesome move for the Bruins as well as it solidifies a lot for them:

Sturm-Bergeron-Boyes

Kessel-Savard-Murray

Axelsson-Primeau-Donovan

rookie-rookie-rookie

Chara-Mara

B. Stuart-Alberts

M. Stuart-Jurcina

The Bruins are looking much improved, especially defensively. I'd argue that they have one of the top three defenses in the East.

No way they deal Rask AND M. Stuart unless they're getting something absolutely phenomenal.

Their trade chips are Alberts, Jurcina, Rask (only if something very, very good is coming back), Brad Stuart and Sturm.

I'll probably have to agree on M. Stuart, max. I think B. Stuart is more valuable, but since he's facing FA status in a year, he's be more likely to be moved. If they can re-up him for decent money, though .....

I think that's their plan right now. Chiarelli will likely feel out for an extension for fair money. If Stuart is intent on testing the market (he's one of, if not the best UFA defenseman available next offseason), I think he'll be moved and fetch a good return.

And at this point, as good of a prospect as Rask is, the team really doesn't need him. Hannu should (hopefuly) be the #1 for the forseeable future, and Thomas is a decent back-up that's signed for the next 3 years. If they need to package Rask in with other pieces (such as Alberts or Jurcina) to fill a void, they should.

Rask likely won't be over for about 2-3 years though, so they're shooting themselves in the foot. Rask is widely regarded as one of the best goaltending prospects in the NHL and is only 19 years old. Unless they're getting back a very, VERY good forward, I don't move him. At all.

And as little as I like Sturm as a player, he just fit too well with B&B to move him right now. There's no one ready to slide in and play on that top line. I'd hate to see them break it up.

It all has to do with money. Sturm's in a contract year as well. If he's going to want too much, they won't hesitate to shop him as well.

Agreed. That spells freakin trouble. The Bruins are a team to watch if this is true (and even if it doesn't happen).

Some guy on gamefaqs said Malkin was in Montreal. And there was a trade being discussed: Malkin to the Habs for Ryder, Souray and Aebischer.

Take that for what its worth.

That rumor was dispelled for the joke it was yesterday.

You know who came up with it? PJ F'in Stock...

No they don't. Which is why I said, if there was someone else (meaning either of those two), I would consider the trade as legit.

Right now, its hot watery steam. And you are right. There's no way Malkin's leaving town, but I do believe the Penguins are probably gonna get some serious offers heading their way.

Nothing that will be worth trading him for though. This wait has been far far too long, he will be on Mellon Arena ice opening night, and I can't wait.

Crosby/Malkin down the middle...

:D

They'll get bigger offers, but 2 soon to be free agents for a player of Malkin's caliber, not happening. Malkin is like a better Keith Primeau, because Primeau is the only guy I can think of that really compares to him.

How does Malkin compare to Primeau in any relevant way?

As an aside, Malkin put up huge numbers in the Russian Elite League. Forty-seven points in the regular season, including 21 goals, in 46 games are great numbers, especially when you compare those numbers to some NHL'ers that were playing in the league last season (Datsyuk 47gp, 15g, 20a, 35pts) (Kovalchuk 53gp, 19g, 22a, 41pts). To top it off he put up 15 points in 10 playoff games. The best part though is that Malkin led the league with a +28. Granted, the league had more top end stars last year but I don't think the league as a whole was significantly better than in previous years. I don't think he will be as impressive to the casual fan as a Datsyuk, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin, or Crosby. However, he is definetly ready to play and will make an impact.

Compare these numbers from the 04-05 Russian Elite League

Alex Ovechkin 37gp, 13g, 13a, 26pts, +26

Evgeny Malkin 52 gp, 12g, 20a, 32pts, +21

Now, keep this in mind. While he looks to stack up relatively well numbers wise with Ovechkin (obviously Alex played fewer games), Malkin is a year younger than Ovechkin. And at 18, 19, 20, etc., those are very big developmental years.

A better example would be taking Ovechkin's numbers from the year before (53gp, 13g, 11a, 24pts, +7) when he would have been Malkin's age and comparing them to Malkin's 04-05 season. Also keep in mind that those 03-04 numbers weren't against the NHL'ers that Malking competed against the next years in 04-05.

For some more number fun, their WJC history:

Ovechkin 18gp, 18g, 7a, 25pts

Malkin 18gp, 8g, 17a, 25pts

Malkin put up 6pts in the Olympics whereas Ovechkin put up 5 pts, and they each put up 9 in the World Championships (Malkin 5 goals, Ovechkin 11 goals between the two tourneys). Keep in mind that Malkin is a year younger.

Just a whole bunch of numbers to have fun with.

Malkin should be unlike most stars we are used to seeing come out of Russia (the Bure, Kovalchuk, Ovechkin) in that we will likely play the role more often of setup man. That's not say that he's not capable of scoring goals but he's shown a tendency to be a pass first shoot second type of player.

When looking at comparison's, don't think of Keith Primeau. The closest comparison would probably be Eric Staal, with Malkin being more mature in the defensive zone (keep in mind that Staal and Malkin are only two years apart in age and Malkin's defensive maturity at such a young age is rare). There are others in that category such as Thornton, Spezza, and Lecalvier that share a lot of similar qualities as well.

In playing style defensively and their size, they compare. Obviously Malkin is better offensively, but the way they play is similar. Staal is the other guy that compares well to Malkin, as Malkin is a great two way player while Staal is on his way to that status. He's not as flashy as people would expect from someone with his hype, but he does the more important things that teams need in order to win.

I only said Primeau because he was the only guy I could think of that has Malkin's size, leadership quality and defensive ability while being able to play a good offense. Malkin is better now than Primeau has ever been.

No they don't. Which is why I said, if there was someone else (meaning either of those two), I would consider the trade as legit.

Right now, its hot watery steam. And you are right. There's no way Malkin's leaving town, but I do believe the Penguins are probably gonna get some serious offers heading their way.

Nothing that will be worth trading him for though. This wait has been far far too long, he will be on Mellon Arena ice opening night, and I can't wait.

Crosby/Malkin down the middle...

:D

While they might've waited forever, if you the right deal comes along, Malkin would be like any other player and be gone. But you are right, the right deal won't come along and he'll be there. And I really wonder how well Crosby and Malkin will do, especially paired up.

Hm... I thought it was 60ish points. But isn't this same stat line for the league with only single assists? Just curious.

The Habs offer is hysterical. Yes plz i'd like to trade a franchise talent for a bunch of mediocre players that we don't need thx.

I wouldn't even take Samsonov for him. Malkin's part of the team's future, while the Habs players probably wouldn't even be enough to vault the Pens into the playoffs. That would be the dumbest trade in the history of hockey. The only think that could possibly lure Malkin away from the Pens is a litany of first round draft picks, and even then, it would be a tough decision.

Some scouts have said that Malkin compares favorably to Lemieux in each's stage of development. No chance in hell they'd trade that potential for friggin' Aebischer.

Hm... I thought it was 60ish points. But isn't this same stat line for the league with only single assists? Just curious.

Those are the 04/05 numbers compared to Ovechkin.

In O5/06 he put up 46gp, 21g, 26a, 47pts plus 15pts in 10 playoff games, so in theory 62 points in 56 games.

In playing style defensively and their size, they compare. Obviously Malkin is better offensively, but the way they play is similar. Staal is the other guy that compares well to Malkin, as Malkin is a great two way player while Staal is on his way to that status. He's not as flashy as people would expect from someone with his hype, but he does the more important things that teams need in order to win.

I only said Primeau because he was the only guy I could think of that has Malkin's size, leadership quality and defensive ability while being able to play a good offense. Malkin is better now than Primeau has ever been.

Staal is a good prospect don't get me wrong, but he is not on Malkin's level nor he will he ever get to that level. Malkin is better offesively and defensively and on the PK and PP as well. Malkin is just a much much better prospect and overall player than Staal is.

Once Staal gets to the big club, which I don't expect to be until next year at the earliest more than likely he is going to move to wing, as it would be foolish to waste him on the 3rd line.

Staal is a good prospect don't get me wrong, but he is not on Malkin's level nor he will he ever get to that level. Malkin is better offesively and defensively and on the PK and PP as well. Malkin is just a much much better prospect and overall player than Staal is.

Once Staal gets to the big club, which I don't expect to be until next year at the earliest more than likely he is going to move to wing, as it would be foolish to waste him on the 3rd line.

Umm, there is hockey outside of Pittsburgh, and I was actually referencing Jordan's older brother Eric, who himself seems to be a decent player.

Umm, there is hockey outside of Pittsburgh, and I was actually referencing Jordan's older brother Eric, who himself seems to be a decent player.

Sorry. I didn't read the whole thead, and was simply going off of King's quote.

My apologies.

:cheers:

http://www.caneshockey.com/news/news.asp?articleid=1595

Cory Stillman out three to four months.

Cory Stillman -- Eric Staal -- Erik Cole

Andrew Ladd -- Rod Brind'Amour -- Justin Williams

Ray Whitney -- Trevor Letowski -- Scott Walker

Craig Adams -- Kevyn Adams -- Chad LaRose

Those were the projected lines for this season, so there will need to be quite a few moves made.

Andrew Ladd may be brought up to the first-line with Staal and Cole, a move the team wanted to eventually make anyway. Ray Whitney would move up to the second-line, Craig Adams to the third-line, and either Patrick Dwyer or Shane Willis would be brought in for the fourth-line.

Personally, I would move Erik Cole back to the left wing and bring Scott Walker up to be the first-line right winger. Then, Chad LaRose would move up to the third-line and either Dwyer or Willis would be brought in for the fourth-line.

Frantisek Kaberle may also miss some time this season with shoulder problems.

Losing Stillman isn't their problem. Losing Ward is, IMO.

Aaron Ward was a tough player, but I think Glen Wesley showed just as much endurance as Ward throughout the playoffs. Mike Commodore can lay some nice hits on players and isn't afraid to block shots, Bret Hedican and Frantisek Kaberle are both talented offensive defensemen, Niclas Wallin and Oleg Tverdovsky are both decent at what they do, the team seems to love what Anton Babchuk brings to the table, and we have a few talented prospects that will be added to the roster in the next few years.

Good. The throwbacks are really nice, even if they're basically the same as the current ones. Only took them 5 years of mockerey before they realized that the bear was ugly as shit.

Good. The throwbacks are really nice, even if they're basically the same as the current ones. Only took them 5 years of mockerey before they realized that the bear was ugly as shit.

The colours weren't that bad, I thought, it was that the bear was just too, well, not cartoony, but Junior B-ish.

I'm glad either way, the black that I saw Cam Neely and Ray Bourque and Chris Nilan(and my dad saw Espo and Orr in) are about as classic as a jersey gets.

http://bostonbruins.com/pressbox/pressreleases.asp?ID=1761

Chiarelli strikes again!

For the first time in...a while at least, the team is set before training camp. No holdouts. No bargaining.

Bergeron is set for 5/23.75 (4.75 cap hit), which is more than I thought it would have been, but it's still a five year contract for a talent like that, which will end up being a steal in two years.

Max is a happy boy. Huzzah.

You beat me by 18 minutes, but you can breath easy Max...and to a lesser extent Nskie, who may have disappeared. More than likely, I figure he tracked down Bergeron and cajoled him into re-signing.

Boston's officially back in the playoffs this year. I don't think it's unforseeable that all five Northeastern teams get into the playoffs this year. Probably not, but it's not a stretch, either.

You beat me by 18 minutes, but you can breath easy Max...and to a lesser extent Nskie, who may have disappeared. More than likely, I figure he tracked down Bergeron and cajoled him into re-signing.

Boston's officially back in the playoffs this year. I don't think it's unforseeable that all five Northeastern teams get into the playoffs this year. Probably not, but it's not a stretch, either.

You have that much faith in Hannu Toivonen's progression to think he can carry the Bruins' to a playoff berth?

You have that much faith in Hannu Toivonen's progression to think he can carry the Bruins' to a playoff berth?

All he has to do is pick up where he left off last season. Behind a defense that no longer includes Brian Leetch or Hal Gill. I'd say he has a pretty good chance.

*edit: I realize that a lot can change between now and opening night. I also realize that Kessel may not start on the second line. This is exclusively for comparison.

Last season's opening night lines:

Isbister-Thornton-Murray

Samsonov-Bergeron-McEachern

Axelsson-Boyes-Fitzgerald

Leahy-Green-Orr

Leetch-Moran

Dallman-Gill

Slegr-Alberts

Holy shit dude. Out of those 18 players, 5 are left on the team this season. The high turnover directly shows how fucking terrible the team was from the get go last season. Isbister on the first line? McEachern starting? Fitzgerald finishing for Boyes? Boyes as a defensive center? Ian Moran? Awful.

PROJECTED Opening Night lines

Sturm-Bergeron-Boyes

Kessel-Savard-Murray

Axelsson-Primeau-Donovan

Kalus/Karsums/Krejki/Walter/Mowers/Stastny/Tenkrat/Hoggan/Brookbank...basically whoever makes the team.

Chara-B. Stuart

Mara-Jurcina

Alberts-M. Stuart

York/Dempsey...extra defensemen.

Outside of the clusterfuck on the fourth line, this team is looking very, very good...at least on paper. I realize that a player the caliber of Thornton cannot be easily replaced, but Bergeron locked into a five year contract is definitely a start.

Not exclusively.

But, if Ottawa can be knocked down three or four places thanks to one man's departure ( which seems pretty likely), then, logically, the same's arrival should bump Boston up three or four places.

Like I said, I'm not holding my breath, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me, either.