TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

John Lennon - Imagine

Guest Felonies!

I'm still trying to figure out the Radiohead barb.

i dont hate paul mccartneys solo stuff. i just hate him.

What was your reasoning behind this again? I think you've been over it, I just don't remember. I prefer McCartney's songwriting to Lennon's, but I don't hate Lennon.

Hey Slayer, I assume you're named after the band, so I was kind of curious what you'd think about this.

One of my friends is a metalhead and he plays guitar in a metal band. He recently "lost his Slayer virginity" and the concert seemed to really bother him. He's been to tons of concernts before, but he said this one was pretty different. Some of the things he cited:

-Some guy was wearing a "JESUS WAS A FUCKING CUNT" shirt and everyone around him kept screaming that all night

-An image of a "rotting Jesus head" on the front of the drum riser

-Guitar amps stacked in the shape of an inverted cross

-A video of a man shooting innocent people in the back of the head and stacking them up played (real footage)

-Video of the WTC on 9/11 played and he said about half the crowd cheered & made devil horns

My Mom was there, but she was really in to The Monkees and The Archies and didn't care one way or the other about John Lennon or Bob Dylan, so maybe he's on to something.

mccartney happily became a cartoon character in the 80's. he became less about music & more about being a jolly good guy. whenever anything tragic in the world happens he sorta pops outta nowhere as the universe's spokesman of happy to cheer us all up. being nice is fine. but having to witness it is sickening. and the music...does he even make music anymore?

yes i know he sorta does, but it sucks. i haven't heard it, but i know it does.

I used to hate Paul McCartney (well, I still sorta do, but anyway), as I get older I can accept that his post-Beatles work—particularly McCartney and Ram—had its moments. I think I've talked about this here before, but much of the ire you people (myself included) would direct at Paul was due to him not dying/being murdered years ago. John Lennon became something of a martyr back in 1980; for that, he's unassailable, an idol. Nevermind that what solo work he produced was as spotty as Paul's. Nevermind John, by many accounts, was an egomaniacal asshole. His life was taken from him. That was enough to get him on license plates.

john seemed angrier than paul. for whatever reason angry people don't annoy me as much as happy people. like, would john lennon have done the whole amos & andy bit with michael jackson? no, but paul did. for money. and he came across as a total douche. then mike burned him.

how is your mom indicative of the appeal of the beatles & bob dylan? you moron.

Maybe I should put more emoticons into my posts so you would better get the jist of what I'm saying. Obviously, I'm waaaaaay too cerebral for you. :wub:

Edit: I hope that my "wub" emoticon puts forth the intended humor of my previous statement.

john seemed angrier than paul. for whatever reason angry people don't annoy me as much as happy people. like, would john lennon have done the whole amos & andy bit with michael jackson? no, but paul did. for money. and he came across as a total douche. then mike burned him.

Had Lennon lived and continued on his path of self-important douchebaggery, generally incapable of producing work as good as he thinks he himself is, I'd despise as much as I do McCartney.

i agree. the thing i hate about lennon as he is considered a wonderfully devout family man; america's political consciousness. but really he was a philanderous junkie. he was a prick. he was an egomaniac. thats the thing about lennon/mccarthey. (in that order). but for whatever reason, the whole happy-go-lucky mccarney bothers me more. until december. when everyone cries over lennon dying. every december. then we get lennon christmas music.

Lennon wasn't much of a family man, what, with his "lost weekend" and not associating with his son for the entire 1960s. He was pretty politically concious, if a little overly idealistic. His murder certainly did alot for his reputation, but not as much as Kurt Cobain's suicide did for him.

no. i am talking about late 70's retirement stay-at-home dad with sean. he's not much better than julian. he was seen totally different from the whole julian debacle. in reality, he was kicking heroin. during his retirement, right?

As I recall, he was kicking heroin when he was "retired" during like...75-79 or so. The story that got out was the he was being a "house husband", baking bread and whatnot. I learned that when I was doing my 6th grade Social Studies report on John Lennon. I got an A. It was neat. I got to mention "Woman Is the Nigger of the World" in it.

Guest Felonies!

Fair criticism of Paul McCartney being too happy and smiley. I wish he could've committed himself to some darker and more introspective work, since "Eleanor Rigby," "For No One," and "Yesterday" are always considered top Beatles songs and are far from the usual happy poppy Paul songs, but he must've felt there was enough dark introspective stuff out there already, I guess.

"had to be there"

Like any of us were? Dumb statement.

Maybe, but I still dislike most of their music, regardless

Both Lennon and McCartney's solo material can be condensed into compilations.

Favourite Lennon solo songs? The inane stuff like 'Whatever Gets You Thru The Night'; 'Watching The Wheels'; 'Nobody Told Me'.

Geez the fact that I like Band on the Run probably won't score points...

But I love that album, and the title song, cause it's like 3 songs with different tempos that shouldn't fit together and yet it does.

Just a goofy storyteller's song that I love everytime I hear it.

As for Lennon- Love Cold Turkey, Working Class Hero, Jealous Guy, Watching the Wheels

George forever smokes them both though, "When We Was Fab" HA!