TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Special K

Kristin Hersh

Does anyone else really, really dig her?

She has the crazy ass lyrics, a voice that usually sounds like a Pall-Mall chain-smoking aunt.Yet she can reach high, keening beautiful pitches.

If nothing else, she is unique. Her earliest album, she literally sounds like a crazy person, almost talking in toungues. Now, in 50' Wave, she sounds like a heavy metal god. She ain't a bad guitarist either.

I dig her lyrics, voice and melodies. Anyway, discuss. I think she's one of the most overlooked female rockers of our decade. Seen her live. It's weird to hear her thank a crowd in that warm, nice voice and then lock into 'GOlden Ocean' wher she sounds like and an emphysima patient in her death throes, but in a good way.

Kristin Hersh suffered from an illness which made her hallucinate badly back in her Throwing Muses days. You can particularly hear it on those first few albums like you pointed out. Much as I like the Muses i've not got around to getting anything else she's done, and she's been one prolific songwriter in the last decade or so. I'm pretty sure i'd like 50ft Wave as well. Do you know what her solo stuff is like?

No, but I'm pretty sure she writes all the stuff for 50ft wave.

You should really check out Golden Ocean (the only full 50ft album so far). It rocks incredibly hard.