TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hadley

What happened to the UK PPVs?

Guest Hadley

Why did the WWE stop holding UK-only ppvs? I know they were essentially glorified house shows, but it still gave fans in the UK something to look forward to. While we're at it, are any of the UK ppvs any good? I have Insurextion 2000 and 2001, both good shows (2001 is better IMO) but nothing outstanding,,are any of the others good?

My guess is since now they regularly are going to tour Britain with RAW shows being taped over there now, they don't need those UK only PPVs....

The first one, One Night Only, was great. But after that, they pretty much became house shows aired on PPV. After the brand extension and before the brand exclusive PPVs, they became brand-only house shows aired on PPV.

Although Insurexxion in May 2003 is famous to me for Kevin Nash actually executing a drop toe hold in his World Title match against Triple H.

Guest Kimaster1976

I dont think it would have been profitable to do UK only PPV's. Why would we pay money to see a house show on TV when we got all the other PPV's for free anyway in England.

Guest Doombiscuit

I don't know why they don't run them any more but I'm glad they don't. They were alomost always inconsequential story line wise and poor in match quality. In short nothing but a glorified house show. At least now they tape Raw and Smackdown here they're not saying such a big "fuck you" to UK fans. Interestingly whilst business seems to rise and fall in the US WWE has enjoyed consistent support in the UK for about 15 years. Maybe it decided the UK only PPVs weren't the best way to keepo

a loyal fan base

Guest jm29195

One Night Only is widely acknowledged as the best UK PPV- it had great matches with Owen/Vader, Bret/Taker, and HBK/Bulldog

No Mercy 99 was awful and has no redeeming qualities, unless you want to see what I think is Foley's worst ever match out of curiosity- Foley/Gunn

Rebellion 99 was pretty good, with decent Rock/HHH, and Road Dogg/Jericho matches, and a Kane/Big Show match that was better than expected IIRC

Insurextion 2000 had the first ever Benoit/Angle PPV match. and also decent efforts from Hardys/E&C, and Eddie/Jericho

Rebellion 2000 has Taker/Benoit which I have never seen before or since

Insurxtion 2001 has Benoit/Angle 2/3 falls, a cracking Jericho/Regal match, and Taker beating HHH and Austin in a handicap match

Rebellion 2001 has Angle/Jericho, and Rock/Austin, plus the best Edge/Christian match (in a cage)

Insurextion 2002 had Eddie/RVD, Austin/Big Show, HHH/Taker (where the ring breaks), and Bradshaw/XPac which was better than expected

Rebellion 2002 had Mysterio/Taijiri/Noble, Edge/Lesnar & Heyman, and Angle/Benoit v. Los Guerreros

Insurextion 2003 had a suprisingly entertainng Nash/HHH match but that was about it....

Disagreed. Taker/Bret is one of Taker's best ever matches. The match is basic, which is why you could see it as slow, but it goes by really quickly. It's a strong match. Bulldog/Shawn is good, but not great. Owen/Vader is very good, especially considering it's less than 10 minutes.

Don't buy into the "One Night Only" hype. Taker/Bret is kinda slow with a shitty (but unavoidable) finish, Bulldog/HBK is OK.

At least don't expect to see some blowaway show.

agreed

I have only seen rebellion 01 on the fanatix ppv series and they clipped out two matches(ddp-scotty? and hurricane vs somebody i think). but austin-rock, edge-christian, and angle-jericho are great matches and Angles backstage antics with austin and the alliance are gold too (we're like the knights of the round table!)

I have only seen rebellion 01 on the fanatix ppv series and they clipped out two matches(ddp-scotty? and hurricane vs somebody i think). but austin-rock, edge-christian, and angle-jericho are great matches and Angles backstage antics with austin and the alliance are gold too (we're like the knights of the round table!)

DDP vs. Big Show and Hurricane vs. Scotty. DDP/Show is about as good as you would expect, but Scotty/Hurricane was a good one (though I am a Hurricane/Helms mark, so I might be biased, lol...)

Guest J0bber
One Night Only is widely acknowledged as the best UK PPV- it had great matches with Owen/Vader, Bret/Taker, and HBK/Bulldog

No Mercy 99 was awful and has no redeeming qualities, unless you want to see what I think is Foley's worst ever match out of curiosity- Foley/Gunn

Rebellion 99 was pretty good, with decent Rock/HHH, and Road Dogg/Jericho matches, and a Kane/Big Show match that was better than expected IIRC

Insurextion 2000 had the first ever Benoit/Angle PPV match. and also decent efforts from Hardys/E&C, and Eddie/Jericho

Rebellion 2000 has Taker/Benoit which I have never seen before or since

Insurxtion 2001 has Benoit/Angle 2/3 falls, a cracking Jericho/Regal match, and Taker beating HHH and Austin in a handicap match

Rebellion 2001 has Angle/Jericho, and Rock/Austin, plus the best Edge/Christian match (in a cage)

Insurextion 2002 had Eddie/RVD, Austin/Big Show, HHH/Taker (where the ring breaks), and Bradshaw/XPac which was better than expected

Rebellion 2002 had Mysterio/Taijiri/Noble, Edge/Lesnar & Heyman, and Angle/Benoit v. Los Guerreros

Insurextion 2003 had a suprisingly entertainng Nash/HHH match but that was about it....

What about Mayhem in Manchester just after WM 14 or Capital Carnage in December 1998?

Guest jm29195
What about Mayhem in Manchester just after WM 14 or Capital Carnage in December 1998?

Mayhem in Manchester was a house show that they released on VHS, there wasn't anything notable on it, apart from Taker wrestling in street clothes in the main event because he had lost his luggage.....

I forgot about Capital Carnage but it's shite anway- Edge v. Tiger Ali Singh, Headbangers v. Animal/Droz on PPV? Argh!

Guest JumpinJackFlash

Wasn't Hardys/Edge and Christian Ladder Match at No Mercy 99?

Wasn't Hardys/Edge and Christian Ladder Match at No Mercy 99?

He's talking about the UK PPV called No Mercy.

Guest Felonies!

Those VHS releases were shit. The video quality was poor, the lighting was bad, and the commentary was just overdubbed.

Rebellion 01 and 02 were pretty good PPVs IMO. I liked Insurrextion 2003, which featured the best Christian / Booker and Nash / HHH matches out of those two boring feuds.