TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

WWE News and Notes

And wasn't D-X just a midcard comedy act? I highly doubt they had a whole lot to do with WWE winning the ratings war.

I'm assuming you weren't around in 1998, but DX was just as hot of a ratings commodity as Stone Cold Steve Austin was and 2nd to only Austin in merchandising.

Merchandise I can believe, but I doubt they drew as high ratings as Austin-McMahon.

They were part of the initial resurgence in ratings. Nitro was still beating them in the ratings but anyone could see that the tide was shifting. Stone Cold was hot but so was DX when it came to seeing that the WWF was shifting gears into a more adult, less family entertainment, focus. The HHH-HBK version of DX were at the top of the card against Stone Cold for Wrestlemania XIV and were all over the media with the Mike Tyson involvement. HBK was then out and HHH brought in X Pac and I believe that segment was a ratings winner. From there, they became a babyface faction with the New Age Outlaws joining. I can understand them being labelled mid-card but I imagine those segments where they invaded WCW did some good ratings and were just as important as Austin-McMahon in getting people to see what was wrong with WCW programming and sticking with Raw when flipping channels.

What WCW Invasion? Standing outside their arena and walking into CNN's building?

Austin-McMahon was the draw and main course, D-X was an appetizer.

Yeah, that WCW invasion. It was when a lot of people started switching over to Raw because Nitro was getting predictible. DX talked shit on WCW's product on national television and made them look like a joke. They were both important in the tide changing. There were a bunch of elements. Austin was positioned at the top. DX were important. Vince McMahon's heel character. The three faces of Foley. The seeds were planted for all of that by Stone Cold and the HBK/HHH/Chyna version of DX leading into Wrestlemania XIV. That is when you started seeing DX t-shirts, hearing 'suck it', etc. in schools and bars. Nobody is saying that the HHH/X Pac/NAO version of DX drew more ratings than Austin-McMahon but they probably did close numbers merchandise wise and contributed to a hot period for the product.

Hey HTQ, what is the "craziest contract clause ever" that Dave was referring to in his Observer preview this week? I've look all through the newsletter and I can't find it.

Hey HTQ, what is the "craziest contract clause ever" that Dave was referring to in his Observer preview this week? I've look all through the newsletter and I can't find it.

It's in the UFC section, so I'll also C&P this part into the MMA folder.

Tito Ortiz's current UFC contract includes a stipulation where, after his third fight, he gets a three three-minute round boxing match with Dana White.