TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sandman9000

Sports Announcers You Don't Want To Stab

I'll start, you follow.

Other than myself, Gary Thorne. Just wasn't the same for this year's NHL Finals without Thorne speaking 100MPH.

He also refuses to use one of those headsets when calling baseball, for whatever reason, but I've called baseball like that before and it works fairly well.

Now you add. ADD!

EDIT: Forget to add this in earlier. Explain your choices. I haven't heard of some of these people, and I want to know as to why their good. No LISTMANIA~! in my thread.

Guest Felonies!

Pat Hughes

Ron Santo

Bob Uecker

Bill Walton

Steve Levy

Jay Mariotti

Steve Stone

Mike Emrick. Hate to say it Sandy, but he was much better than Thorne at keeping up with the pace of the playoffs without butchering numerous foreign names. Probably the best hockey broadcaster the league has right now, American or Canadian.

Jerry Remy walks the line between excellent commentator and complete screw-off. Either way, he's gold.

Vin Scully is the only reason I watch Dodger games. If Scully's not broadcasting, I'll watch something else.

Dave O'Brien/Dan Schulman as far as generic play-by-play guys go are pretty good. They're both very good no matter if they're calling professional sports or women's softball.

Sean McDonough. Got shafted out of the pbp seat on NESN broadcasts. Still the only reason I'll even give a fuck about college sports. Grew up with him behind the mike with Bob Montgomery for Red Sox games on WSBK-38.

edit- added a few names.

Vin Scully

Brad Nessler

Keith Jackson (I hate that he had to fucking retire)

Pat Summerall (Ditto)

Mike Emrick

Jim Hughson

Bob Miller

John Davidson

Dick Vitale

Marv Albert

Garry Galley

for some reason I like Dick Enberg

I'll add more later in a different post as they come to me. One thing's for certain, baseball announcers are the ones that can be the most annoying.

Guest Felonies!
How is Uecker when he's playing it straight?

I enjoy him. Calls the game by himself, does a much better job than the Brewers TV guys, specifically their color guy.

I'll start, you follow.

Other than myself, Gary Thorne. Just wasn't the same for this year's NHL Finals without Thorne speaking 100MPH.

He also refuses to use one of those headsets when calling baseball, for whatever reason, but I've called baseball like that before and it works fairly well.

Now you add. ADD!

I would have to agree. It was great to hear him announce the NCAA hockey championship game, just like old times. He and Clement had good chemistry.

Tommy Hutton

Dickie V (I don't find him that annoying, maybe because I'm an ACC homer myself)

Peter Gammons

and soon to be... Tony Kornheiser. He will be the greatest announcer ever.

Is Gammons an announcer or an analyst? There's a slight difference. I can't think of any games that Gammons has sat in the booth for (minus the Future's game).

Gammons is an analyist.

Also, edited this in, but explain your choices. I haven't heard of all of these guys, so I want to know as to why their good and shouldn't be stabbed. No LISTMANIA~! here.

I'll also add Gus Johnson for now. He's been great during the NCAA tournament the past couple years, and he has a very commanding voice for a person his size (he looks tiny on the telemavision). He also adds enough excitement at the right times, too. I'll take him over Jim Nantz in a heartbeat.

Jim Nantz

Announcer I want to stab multiple times.

Really? I despise Tirico, actually......Can we agree on neutralism for NBC golf guy Dan Hicks?

He's OK. I don't want to stab him, so I guess so.

As long as we're talking about golf guys, I'll throw in David Feherty, Verne Lundquist, Ian Baker-Finch and Nick Faldo. Fuck the PGA for dropping ABC from their TV deal.

Jim Nantz

Really? I despise Tirico, actually......Can we agree on neutralism for NBC golf guy Dan Hicks?

As long as we're talking about golf guys, I'll throw in David Feherty, Verne Lundquist, Ian Baker-Finch and Nick Faldo. Fuck the PGA for dropping ABC from their TV deal.

You'll throw those guys in as your stabees? Good Lord. Well, Finch is fair game, (but im not sure if I'd stab him quite yet). But, you think Feherty < McCord?

See my signature for more on Lunqvist, by the way, who now has a call from the 21st century that will be remember for quite a while with Tiger's chip-in on 16 last April.

EDIT: I thought I had the "Maybe....YES SIR!" on there. Coupled with my hatred of Tiger....maybe you're onto something.

Vin Scully

Doc Emrick

John Davidson & Sam Rosen

Dickie V

Gary Cohen, Ron Darling & I'M Keith Hernandez!~

Bill Raftery

Troy Aikman even though I wanted to stab him as a player

Dan Fouts

Jay Bilas

Brad Nessler

Bill Walton

Mike Tirico & Tom Tolbert

The Irish dude who does soccer for ESPN

The Spanish dude who does soccer for Channel 41, you know the one who shouts GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOALLLLLLLLLLL

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLL!

Jim Nantz

You'll throw those guys in as your stabees? Good Lord. Well, Finch is fair game, (but im not sure if I'd stab him quite yet). But, you think Feherty < McCord?

See my signature for more on Lunqvist, by the way, who now has a call from the 21st century that will be remember for quite a while with Tiger's chip-in on 16 last April.

Uh, no, I actually like those guys.

Funny you should mention the chip-in on 16...I actually just finished watching this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-60BgDPHpw0

One of the greatest calls I've ever heard.

I like the entire YES broadcast team for the most part. Michael Kay and Jim Kaat being the two best. Bobby Murcer is a nice third piece, but when he is forced to do play-by-play, which I can't remember him doing for at least a year, he is pretty bad. Ken Singleton is also a very good regular. Then they have some rotating recently retired players in Paul O'Neill, Al Leiter, and John Flahrety who do a nice job.

The general booth is Kay/Kaat/Murcer. Kay is pretty much there for every game, but when he isn't, I feel that the overall broadcast suffers without him. Maybe it is because he is the only one who actually has a background in the field, since every other one of his co-anchors are ex-players. He did radio with John Sterling (who I don't really like too much any more) for years before YES launched in 2002, and was a Yankee beat writer for one of the papers before that, plus he has a radio show on each day. He talks Yankees/baseball in general better than anyone on the dial in the city.

I think Kay is the drizzling shits as the lead guy even though he was a good analyst, but that's just me. Kaat and Singleton is their best tandem as far as I'm concerned. As you said though they need to keep him since he's the only guy in the rotation that has a broadcasting background. Al Leiter talks as slow as he used to pitch. He'll still be in the process of explaining a first pitch splitter on the 2-2 pitch.

Gary Thorne

Steve Stone

Steve Phillips-When he's with Thorne, and Stone.

Dan Shulman

Dave Campell

Kirk Herbstreit

Dan Fouts

Johnny Miller

Bill Raftery

Len Elmore

Chris Spielman

Troy Aikman

Joe Buck

Bill Walton

Bert Blyleven-When he analyzes the game, he gives some good pitching insight.

Bob Uecker

Peter Gammons

I doubt anyone on here has heard of them, but John Forslund and Tripp Tracy are very good. They are the Hurricanes' announcers and I believe they are one of the best announcer duos in the NHL.

I like the Astros play-by-play guys, both on TV (Jim DeShaies and Bill Brown) and on the radio ("Crazy" Milo Hamilton and two new guys whose names escape for the moment). Bob Uecker is good. Vin Scully is good. I like Jon Miller and Harold Reynolds when he does the College World Series and the LLWS. After watching several Cubs' games on TV, I must say that Len Kaspar and Bob Brenly have a nice chemistry. And, forgive me for saying it, but I enjoyed Dennis Miller on Monday Night Football.

How about a little college football?

Eli Gold - Alabama

Todd Ellis - South Carolina

Both have fairly distinctive voices (though I'd like Ellis to turn the bass down in his just a bit), and do a good job with giving the action along with the highlight reel calls. I particularly enjoy the team of Gold and Kenny Stabler. Kenny knows his shit.

I doubt anyone on here has heard of them, but John Forslund and Tripp Tracy are very good. They are the Hurricanes' announcers and I believe they are one of the best announcer duos in the NHL.

I've heard more of Chuck Katton then the other two. Katton's not bad, but I think he mangled the Cup winning call by rambling on too much. Let the crowd and the moment make the call for you.