TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MrRant

Transformers The Movie

Just got back from the flick and it was a top notch Micheal Bay summertime blockbuster!!! I had a blast at the midnight showing!!! This is a movie that is just highly enjoyable. Shia was really good in his role and the effects were awesome. Highly recommended!!!

A guy at work saw it last night. He's not one of those over the top fan-boys, but when he was talking about the movie he sounded like a kid who just saw Santa Claus. Might see it in a week or 2 once the lines thin out a bit and I can actually get a decent seat.

I liked it. It isn't perfect (

Come on, Linkin Park at the end?

), but it's a good popcorn flick. Just don't go into it thinking "It's not the same as it used to be!" Probably the best thing Bay has done since "The Rock."

Guest IV:XX

I saw it last night also and it was alot better then I expected. I am probably a little older then most of you guys so I was still a little hesitant. It paid and paid big time. You actually looked at the Transformers as actors and not just some CGI thing talking. I thnk that had alot to do with Bay using so much real action and adding the robots into the action...it's a must see for anyone, PERIOD!

Just got back. WOW. Just.....WOW. It is nice to see modern day CGI and special effects put to good use. The transformations were fantastic. No real complaints from me.

If I had one gripe it would be

the fight between Optimus Prime and Megatron was kind of short and didn't seem to show their full potential as the superpowers of their respective groups, if a sequel(s) is planned then maybe they are saving that for the future....

EDIT: oh by the way...did anyone else get a trailer before the movie that starts off with a group of people having a party for their friend that is going away....and then suddenly an explosion, then light, then things start exploding all over the place....with the "money shot" being the head of the statue of liberty landing in the middle of the street.....What is the name of that movie?

Yeah, that movie trailer is dope.

Better than I expected, but still crap. "Hey, we have the box-thing that the evil robots want, let's take it into the city and maximize collateral damage". "Kid, you take that box-thing to that building that's really far away and you go to the roof of it"

EDIT: oh by the way...did anyone else get a trailer before the movie that starts off with a group of people having a party for their friend that is going away....and then suddenly an explosion, then light, then things start exploding all over the place....with the "money shot" being the head of the statue of liberty landing in the middle of the street.....What is the name of that movie?

Yea and plenty of people were giving it the 'WTF' treatment, my gf was very excited as it was a J.J. Abrams project via his production company Bab Robot. I guess things will ramp up as we get closer to January but I will be seeing it unless it seems to suck a great deal more than the first preview I just saw. According to IMDB it has a fake working title of Cloverfield and was written by Drew Goddard.

Guest Vitamin X

Yeah I'm super psyched for Cloverfield, or whatever it'll end up being called. Some people are saying that the premise is that Earth is invaded by a giant alien (some said "a giant lion"?! Some people say they heard it in the trailer...) called "The Parasite".

Here's the trailer, shot in a theatre so not particularly good quality, but it's there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NNxPcgn_Dk

Probably won't be around for much longer, so watch it while you can. I think it's a Chimera, which someone on IMDB said as well. Makes sense- monstrous, lion, fire-breathing, multiple heads.

Oh, and Transformers was pretty awesome too.

Yeah I'm super psyched for Cloverfield, or whatever it'll end up being called. Some people are saying that the premise is that Earth is invaded by a giant alien (some said "a giant lion"?! Some people say they heard it in the trailer...) called "The Parasite".

Well there was a japanese monster movie called The Host, so maybe this is an american remake....!?!

I'm really intrigued by Clovertown or whatever now, as well. I could barely find anything but what I could find had rampant speculation that this was somehow tied to Lost in the comments section.

I truly hope that's just a shining example of the stupidity present on the internets and not based in any type of reality whatsoever.

A first person POV monster movie would rock.

Guest Vitamin X
Well there was a japanese monster movie called The Host, so maybe this is an american remake....!?!

Nah. The Host was Korean, by the way, and the main "monster" in it was much smaller than whatever is in that trailer. The Host was really good, by the way.

I'm really intrigued by Clovertown or whatever now, as well. I could barely find anything but what I could find had rampant speculation that this was somehow tied to Lost in the comments section.

I truly hope that's just a shining example of the stupidity present on the internets and not based in any type of reality whatsoever.

A first person POV monster movie would rock.

That's just internet stupidity. This movie doesn't have anything to do with Lost, although I thought it was funny that people instantly associated it with the smoke monster. ("He got his own movie!!")

Transformers kicked ass...Michael Bay's best film...there were some Bay-ish moments, but nowhere near as bad as his usual crap.

There was a bit of product placement as well that annoyed me, but it didn't matter in the end.

Shia was great.

Megan Fox is a worthless actress...but really, who cares? girl is all sorts of gorgeous.

John Turturro steals the show so far as human actors.

Peter Cullen sounded a tad aged, but he still had that old familiar sound.

I was actually surprised by the amount of dialog the TFs got...however, there was not enough Starscream. Other than Megatron trashing him once, we didn't get the sneaky, backstabbing Starscream we all know and love.

Jazz getting killed off sucks

a nod to fans of the G1 series, a line from the cartoon movie, spoken once again by Optimus Prime during his showdown with Megatron: "One shall stand, one shall fall"

can't wait for the sequel...that is all.

One of the guys I went with was worried that this would be one big commercial for GMC cars. Aside from a couple of brief moments (which I would expect from movies revolving around cars), he was pleasantly suprised.

My big complaint was that there wasn't enough Megatron. Hopefully they

bring him back

in the sequal.

Easily Bay's best movie in years.

I was actually surprised by the amount of dialog the TFs got...however, there was not enough Starscream. Other than Megatron trashing him once, we didn't get the sneaky, backstabbing Starscream we all know and love.

'Screamer is supposedly among the F-22s that shoot the hell out of Megatron, though I missed it during my viewing of the film. They didn't make a point to draw attention to it, at any rate.

I can't be angered by the blatant GM shilling in a movie that was based on a cartoon that was made on the sole purpose of selling toys.

I wouldn't call Shias performance great, or even good. The only person who chewed the scenery more was Turturro. He basically was an over-acting spaz the entire movie, which would normally be disastrous, but it fit this one, so I don't have any complaints about that. Fox was a generally worthless character, but when isn't the female love interest in a bay movie? Turturro would have been great if he wasn't positioned as being a somewhat relevant character. Wearing a S7 undershirt in the form of a superman logo was a bit much - I recognize this is a PG movie and whatnot, but the reality is it was 90% made for adults and that 10% just made the movie seem weird and felt out of place (the entire "finding glasses in the house" scene was another out of placer that seemed to be put there on a whim or a dare).

I can't wait to see the toy line that comes out.

The ones tied directly to the movie have been out for 2 months or more. Wal Mart has em on clearance now for like 1/3rd off.

There was even a freaking Transformers Mr. Potato Head for crying out loud. "Optimash Prime"

Jazz dying sucks. He was always my favorite.

I was freaking giddy the whole movie. I might be a spaz, but I just spent two hours as an eight year old kid watching after school cartoons. Well worth the money I dropped on the film.

Just saw it......real good movie, Everyone in the theater was clapping for all the battle sequences. Just thought the final battles went on a bit too long but otherwise, real good popcorn action flick. Thoroughly felt for the transformers as individual actors like someone mentioned. Bay did a great job keeping the original storylines.

The movie kicked ass at the box office this week breaking tons of mid-week records. Can't wait for the next one.

I just saw the flick and thought it was a good summer action movie. However, my biggest grip is that during some of the big Autobot Vs Decpticon fights it was sort of hard to see what was going on. Almost to fast if you ask me. The special effects where very good though. I'm thinking they used an animatronic Bumble Bee for some of his stuff which made him come off very realistic looking.

It didn't hurt that they made you feel for him when they had him tied up and were trying to cryogenically freeze him.

My question about it though:

When the All Spark brings the X-Box 360 and Mountain Dew machine to life, why are they automatically bad? Same thing for the little cell phone the was brought to life inside the Hoover Dam - all though I found the pint sized attitude it brought was rather hillarious.

I'm also not sure why they bothered with Hugo Weaving doing Megatron. You couldn't even tell it was him and I think Megatron spoke about 5 times the whole movie. Not sure if that's spoiler worthy or not, but I figured I'd tag it just in case.

My question about it though:

When the All Spark brings the X-Box 360 and Mountain Dew machine to life, why are they automatically bad? Same thing for the little cell phone the was brought to life inside the Hoover Dam - all though I found the pint sized attitude it brought was rather hillarious.

I would deduce that since everything was reversed engineered from Megatron, it's evil by default when given life from the Allspark.

Or another theory is, if you were just brought to life, weird creatures are running around screaming, explosions are going off everywhere, wouldn't you start blasting everything to get out of there.

Supposedly they are looking into making the Mountain Dew bot. I can't wait!

speaking of the Dew bot and the X-Box bot, did either one of them die? I don't remember seeing them die, so I'm going to assume they're still running amuck in the city!

I can't wait to see the toy line that comes out.

The ones tied directly to the movie have been out for 2 months or more. Wal Mart has em on clearance now for like 1/3rd off.

So I take it they weren't selling well?

I checked the walmart website and I looked at the Optimus Prime they had and while it looked pretty lame, I couldn't tell if that was part of the toy line tied to the movie or not.

a nod to fans of the G1 series, a line from the cartoon movie, spoken once again by Optimus Prime during his showdown with Megatron: "One shall stand, one shall fall"

Don't forget about the

other nod from Prime to G1...when he killed Bonecrusher with the energy axe...like he fought Megatron with in the first few eps of G1.

Oh, and remember people...

Don't make an Autobot mad, or they'll pee on you.

It's made like 61 or 65 million so far.

Is that good?

I saw it yesterday and it was packed. The action was great and I was surprised at just how much dialogue was given to the Autobots. I didn't expect them to be given full blown personalities either. Thumbs up. I liked Die Hard a bit better, but it was more fun Spider-Man 3, personally speaking.