TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

Sports Mt.Rushmore

Guest Felonies!

Like any good Chicago sports fan, I love Walter Payton, but I'm not sure about that one. I have a hard time picking any Best Football Player Ever just because of the specialization of positions.

Ali is a must, MJ, and Ruth...

Football is hard to put down. I'll go out on the edge and put John Madden. BOOM~!

Secretariat, Jack Nicklaus, Richard Petty, and Babe Ruth

A race car driver, a golfer, and a horse? You're a dolt.

Those four dominated their respected sports. It wouldn't be my final four choices. Just three who at least deserve some mention.

Guest Felonies!

Respective, though a few of those are somewhat respected as well.

Ruth in Washington's spot, Jordan as Jefferson, Ali as Roosevelt, and Unitas as Lincoln. Unless I accidentally misread someone's post, it's sad that it took this long for Johnny Unitas to be mentioned.

Guest Princess Leena
That same popularity that lasted less then 5 years. BJK's impact was felt longer then 5 years, Serena and Venus's impact was obvious... I'll give you that Evert and Blair probably aren't at Hamm's level but you can't really deny the others.

Chrissie had more of an effect of making tennis popular in America than BJK did, though. Mostly due to her good looks, and being a more successful player. Whereas Billie obvious did a huge part in building all of women's sports.

Outside of the World Cup and some broad stripping to her bra, who gives a fuck about women's soccer.

Guest Princess Leena

Unfortunately Lance is in a sport that nobody cares about outside of non-stop doping allegations.

I think Lance is still too recent to be placed up on a Mt. Rushmore.

Jordan's end might have been less ten years ago but his impact will obviously be felt for a very, very, very long time.

Lance was a great story and a legitimate inspiration but beyond that, to fit a SPORTS Mt. Rushmore, he isn't at that level.

Damarau was also spot on with the ESPN one, lol.

Yeah, but they'd have to change it every couple of months to accommodate the latest "next big thing" that ESPN is pimping at the moment.

Lance undoubtedly belongs on a Mt. Sportsmore. Most people would say we should wait and see if it's proven that he doped, though, which is utter bullshit.

I'd put Lance up there before Michael Jordan. Lance, Ali, Owens and Ruth.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Why does Ali belong anymore than Joe Louis?

Ability aside, Ali was a cultural phenomenon that defied the government and embodied the very word "athlete."

He represented every aspect of an athelete, the young warrior, the hanger-on, the underdog, the overwhelming favorite, plus he's endlessly entertaining and immediately recognizable.

Putting Louis up there over Ali would be like putting..Oscar Robertson on there instead of Jordan.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

The top center picture is the single best sports photograph I've ever seen.

"Take THAT, Sonny!"

"Take THAT, Sonny!"

It's one of the best photographs ever taken, period.

Lance Armstrong doesn't belong up there any more than Tiger Woods does now. 10 or 15 years from now we'll see. MJ does belong because he's inspired basically every skilled basketball player in the league now in some way. I don't think we'll ever see cycling look for the "next Lance Armstrong", but we all know how long the search for the "next Jordan" has been going on.

MJ does belong because he's inspired basically every skilled basketball player in the league now in some way.

Lance has inspired millions of cancer patients to keep living. He transcends sports now.

MJ does belong because he's inspired basically every skilled basketball player in the league now in some way.

Lance has inspired millions of cancer patients to keep living. He transcends sports now.

I would feel very, very weary about putting Lance on there. I think the entire sport of cycling is going to take a freefall with the PEDs coming to light.

"Take THAT, Sonny!"

And he didnt even have to hit him!

I agree with Agent's selections. Most seem to agree with Ali/Ruth/Jordan...football causes some confusion - Lombardi is an icon, very recognizable, and its his name on the trophy that gets mentioned a million times in January for the biggest sports event of the year.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'm not one for soccer, but how about Pele?

If we want to get global, that is.

I'm not one for soccer, but how about Pele?

If we want to get global, that is.

I forgot about Pele, and so did everyone else here.

Have to say Ruth, Jordan, Ali, and Pele. If not Pele, then Owens.

Secretariat, Jack Nicklaus, Richard Petty, and Babe Ruth

A race car driver, a golfer, and a horse? You're a dolt.

The wrong race car driver at that.

AJ Foyt, Schumachuer, Andretti, Armstrong as for the horse I got one smiley for you :firing:

Americans on average don't really care for soccer so that's why I wouldn't put Pele up there.

I'm saying it again. JIM THORPE. Easily a good candidate for it. He was one of the best football players out there, dabbled in major league baseball and even won gold medals in the Olympics. What more do you want?