TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

WWE News and Notes

Dave described Vengeance as a “loaded line-up that underachieved a bit, producing a decent show that got a mixed response”, with nothing really eventful about it, with a number of good matches but no great ones.

The show is expected to above the usual buy rate level, due to the first match back for the reformed DX.

Said the biggest news of the week was probably Van Dam coming out as still WWE Champion, with his beating of Edge at the PPV and Edge causing the DQ the next night against Cena setting up a three-way match as the main event at Saturday Nights Main Event on 7/15 in Dallas.

Johnny Nitro winning the IC Title wasn’t promoted as having much meaning, and probably sets up Nitro vs. Carlito with Shelton Benjamin playing a part too.

DX beating Spirit Squad was what it should have been, but Orton beating Angle makes no sense, given that Angle was just given the new gimmick of a serious wrestler and shouldn’t be losing anytime soon.

With Orton set to feud with Hogan and Hunter, he is being protected.

The biggest news coming out of the show was the killing of the Kane vs. Kane storyline. Dave said the match itself wasn’t terrible, but the program held no interest to the crowd. There were long term plans that day, as Fake Kane won clean, but Vince hated it and after the match ordered the Fake Kane to be written out.

Fake Kane, Drew Hankinson, is set to start on Smackdown sometime soon with a new gimmick.

Randy Orton vs. Kurt Angle: ***1/4 Good match, but not as good as you would expect from them.

Umaga vs. Eugene: DUD

Ric Flair vs. Mick Foley: *1/4 “More of an undercard angle to build a program than an attempt at a match”. Said it was pretty common in the old days when cities ran weekly and you had to tell stories to keep the programs going. Said the crowd reactions, particularly in this match, were not strong all night, and that they had to be expecting a bigger reaction.

Johnny Nitro vs. Carlito vs. Shelton Benjamin: *** “This was like a bad TNA X-Division match, with a few spectacular athletic spots and a lot of badly times stuff”. “To WWE fans, this match was really good as they really didn’t have anything to compare it to”.

Rob Van Dam vs. Edge: ***1/2 Called it a slap in the face to put them fourth from top in a world title match

Drew Kane vs. Glen Kane: 1/2* “Ross said it was an ugly match for those listening for the code at home”.

John Cena vs. Sabu: ***1/4

DX vs. Spirit Squad: ***

Other News:

While not finalized at press time, an angle was put together to lead to the return of Hulk Hogan working against Randy Orton. A Orton vs. Hogan match is tentatively scheduled to be one of the main events at Summerslam on 8/20. Orton appeared to be under the impression the match would have a longer build, as in recent media appearances he talked about the match as taking place at Wrestlemania. Vince and Hogan had a long talk over the weekend regarding the angle, with the idea being that Brooke would get exposure before the pro wrestling audience as a music star and sex symbol. The basics of the angle would either see Orton pursue Brooke and Hulk would then have to defend his daughter, or, to go even further, to put Orton and Brooke together as a TV couple which would drive Hogan crazy. Dave thinks the latter angle would be too rushed to be ready for Summerslam, but the angle is being described as being hotshotted at this point. Hogan has full creative control on angles and finishes. Dave says that, from the outside, Orton winning makes the most sense, which Dave is against unless it is to build to a rematch, Hogan is the one making the final call. The hold up to all of this is that, apart from Hogan, everyone else involved with Brooke’s career is said to be very negative against the angle happening at all, because of the negative stigma of WWE. The feeling is that doing the angle will make it difficult for Brooke to be taken serious as anything other than a publicity stunt of being the daughter of Hulk Hogan.

Trish doing the 2:00 loss to James and then humiliated with no comeback against Nitro and Melina was done because the company is unsure of Trish’s future. Trish is getting married to her long-term boyfriend in September, will be taking time off after, and her contract expires in August.

WWE has made deal with Chaotic Wrestling and UPW. UPW is back to being a WWE developmental territory, but with the contracts not finalized details are not clear. UPW may not be an OVW-like territory, but a group to find them new talent. Chaotic has signed an agreement to help scout for future talent.

John Laurinaitis is under a lot of pressure from Vince over the lack of people in developmental with the right look, so this is being done to replenish the ranks. Laurinaitis is doing camps for people who are tall, good looking and have good physiques. Jim Ross used to look for people similar to those types too but ones who also had a legit athletic background. However, with how things turned out with Brock Lesnar, that kind of mentality is frowned upon.

Edge is still hurting from being dropped on his head by Tommy Dreamer.

Kevin Dunn was the driving force behind moving the 7/4 ECW taping from the ECW Arena to the Wachovia Center. The argument he presented to Vince was that NBC Universal expects a certain level of production and, without spending a lot of money, they can’t deliver that at the ECW Arena. One source, though, said that with everything for taping already at the Wachovia Center the night before, it’s less expensive to run the second night there. Others aren’t buying that, as saying that the idea of running separate tapings on a regular basis was nixed because of cost, but then the company book an expensive arena for a separate taping. There was also a feeling that Vince wants to move away from the ‘old ECW’ and onto the ‘new ECW’ as soon as possible, and the ECW Arena represents the ‘old ECW’.

Dave talked about the fans of the old ECW wanting what they saw, but that the casual fans, which is what WWE has to play to, see things like production values an superstar charisma as what to watch for. Dave says that for this ECW to survive it has to create new stars. Says the Sandman caning bad gimmicks can get over as a cult deal on television, but to be the brand they want it to be it can’t be the old ECW that had limited appeal. Dave says the upside is that promotion vs. promotion storylines usually work, and that he is fan of the Monday/Tuesday storylines dynamics. The downside is that with three television shows a week of the same product, WWE is producing too much per week. Also, one hour a week isn’t enough time to create an equal brand, as long as Raw stars are the focal point, unless they mix them up with newcomers, like with Cena vs. Sabu. Said Sabu is a new act and comes across as impressive, but at his age and style is only human, and six months from now success will be judged on the ability of those in creative to get over the likes of a Mike Knox or CM Punk and they need to work with the Cena types. Guys on the roster who are underutilized, like Hardy or Venis, have been typecast by being stuck in the same spot for too many years. Test has the failed big man tag to overcome, which isn’t impossible, as it was done with JBL and Mark Henry, to a degree. Also says that as much as the wrestling quality as been high, the ratings show that the interest just is not there.

The idea to tape two weeks of TV on 7/4, for 7/4 and 7/11 has been discussed, but is considered an outside possibility.

On the 6/12 Raw, with the show long tease of HHH kissing Vince’s ass, the second hour was the second highest rated show among all shows on broadcast and cable among teenagers, with 760,000 viewers.

The second NBC Saturday Nights Main event will air 8-10pm Eastern, with wrestlers from Raw, Smackdown and ECW on it. It makes four first-run primetime broadcasts that week, which Dave says cannot be healthy. Dave explains that problems from fan burnout aren’t immediate, and there is an initial upswing from there being more television, but then the decline sets in, and it can be problematic; one management figures out there is a problem, it’s usually too late to stop the problems, because fan disinterest has already set in.

Vince is a big fan of Barbi Blank (Kelly)

The Tarot card reader in ECW was solely to appease Sci-Fi wanting more sci-fi content.

Dave Heath won’t be part of a vampire group, as the feeling is he has put on too much weight.

WWE are attempting to trademark the name “World Wrestling Federation”, primarily to stop a startup company using that name.

In the Khali and Mark Henry vs. Undertaker dark match main event at the 6/27 taping, Khali messed up his only spot. He had to take a punch and get tangled in the rope; when he screwed it up and couldn’t get tangled up, Undertaker just hit him again and Khali fell out of the ring.

Dave talked about JBL’s commentary on Smackdown, and brought up that all of JBL’s pop culture references were very outdated.

“When the biggest money draws in the fight world are Koki Kamada (112 pounds), Kid Yamamoto (140), Oscar de la Hoya (154) and now Royce Gracie (175), what does that say about Vince only wanting to hire people 6-2 and preferable 250 plus? Particularly since the biggest draw on one of his brands is 5-2 and 165 pounds and on the other it’s a guy who is 6-0 and 235 pounds.”

Dave mentions that if you took the biggest stars in company history and if they wanted to enter WWE today, it would make a great read to see who would get in and what would happen to them.

Lance Storm was offered a three-year deal to be part of ECW, but turned it down as he has no desire to be away from his family for the number of days it would require.

Paul Heyman did an interview this week where he said that ECW had the best MMA fighter in the world in Kurt Angle. When they did the fake challenge that led to Randy Orton, most in MMA took it to be what it was. This time, one highly ranked UFC official told the Observer that, “Now we have exposure, we’re not ignoring stuff like this. We’ll go public and have Chuck Liddell accept any public challenge or claims they’ll make”.

Jeff Hardy was backstage at the Smackdown taping in Roanoke, as he lives near there.

its amazing how out of touch it seems everyone in this company is. its like 50 year old men trying to relate to a core audience of 20 year olds. i feel embarrassed for them. its not about knowing wrestling anymore. these guys know nothing.

That makes sense, UPW is a factory at turning out hoss wrasslers that give Vince a boner. So many terrible wrestlers come out of there.

It's hilarious that Vince still thinks hosses draw money.

There's goes any hope of Edge getting the title back if they fear he re-injured his neck.

There's goes any hope of Edge getting the title back if they fear he re-injured his neck.

This coming from a company that keeps putting 2 near-cripples in main event programs despite every medical expert saying they shouldn't be doing anything that physical?

Just as an aside, I'd love nothing more than to see Chuck Liddell KO any of the top WWE guys.

This coming from a company that keeps putting 2 near-cripples in main event programs despite every medical expert saying they shouldn't be doing anything that physical?

Angle and?

Angle and?

That Hogan kid.

That makes sense, UPW is a factory at turning out hoss wrasslers that give Vince a boner. So many terrible wrestlers come out of there.

Let's see, Chris Masters, Heidenreich, Cena... can't remember anyone else at the moment, but my brother used to train there.

Let's see, Chris Masters, Heidenreich, Cena... can't remember anyone else at the moment, but my brother used to train there.

Nathan Jones.

Just as an aside, I'd love nothing more than to see Chuck Liddell KO any of the top WWE guys.

I wouldn't. Well.....maybe Kurt Angle, but just because I'm annoyed by that shooter gimmick and Heyman's stupid MMA quote.

I'd also like to see Taker get beat down just because of his stupid MMA love.

So that's it for the Fake Kane storyline, huh? Not even an explanation as to what the hell it was supposed to be?

Nathan Jones.

Samoa Joe.

Angle and?

Beniot

Nathan Jones.

Samoa Joe.

The Miz

Yeah, I remember reading about Samoa Joe way back in the day when WOW magazine existed and they ran an article about UPW sometime in 2000 or 2001 (it also had Cena as "The Prototype"). I didn't know much more about the guy than how he looked in the publicity shot the magazine kept using, but it was good to see him pop up on the wrestling scene in a huge way a few years later.

Guest DaGoodz

Thanks for posting. When do you get the next issue? Do they come out every Monday? I can't wait to read about all the RVD/Sabu stuff.

.......back in the day when WOW magazine existed and ....

Whoa, WOW fuckin magazine.

I remember them shits. They were expensive as fuck, but they were quality mags, with good paper and picturs and shit... yeah.

WTF? I didn't get my WON in the mail today. I might as well wait till Wednesday if I am paying for it.

Um, you do know it's a federal holiday.

I loved the WOW mags. Expensive yes but quality was definitely superior to any of the other wrestling magazines on the market. Loved those posters of Dawn Marie and stuff as well.

Yeah, I think the same people that published WOW published the short-lived but great ECW Magazine. Very high-quality stuff even compared to today.

Yeah, I remember reading about Samoa Joe way back in the day when WOW magazine existed and they ran an article about UPW sometime in 2000 or 2001 (it also had Cena as "The Prototype"). I didn't know much more about the guy than how he looked in the publicity shot the magazine kept using, but it was good to see him pop up on the wrestling scene in a huge way a few years later.

Yea I have that mag.

Actually I got to see Joe as a rookie in UIWA in 00-01, which used to run shows in my home area of Ventura County, CA. Back then he was part of their tag champs as Samoa Joe (always used that name) with Partner "Foob Dog" (another generic samoan guy who resembled rikishi a bit) as "The Island Syndicate" I have programs with his pic son them too. I don't rmemeber seeing him and thinking he was going to be a big star, nor do I remember him being alll bad-ass back then (but again that was a while ago) so I was really shocked when I started reading about him online in like 04 and everyone making a big deal out of him.

It's kinda cool to know that I saw him when he first started. I got to meet him and the other wrestlers after the show and was really nice to me. that I do remember

The Tarot card reader in ECW was solely to appease Sci-Fi wanting more sci-fi content.

Have these people looked at their own programming schedule lately?

Yea I have that mag.

Actually I got to see Joe as a rookie in UIWA in 00-01, which used to run shows in my home area of Ventura County, CA. Back then he was part of their tag champs as Samoa Joe (always used that name) with Partner "Foob Dog" (another generic samoan guy who resembled rikishi a bit) as "The Island Syndicate" I have programs with his pic son them too. I don't rmemeber seeing him and thinking he was going to be a big star, nor do I remember him being alll bad-ass back then (but again that was a while ago) so I was really shocked when I started reading about him online in like 04 and everyone making a big deal out of him.

It's kinda cool to know that I saw him when he first started. I got to meet him and the other wrestlers after the show and was really nice to me. that I do remember

I wonder how those idiots at WWE feel about completely missing Samoa Joe when they were drooling over Jesus and Cena.

Yea I have that mag.

I wonder how those idiots at WWE feel about completely missing Samoa Joe when they were drooling over Jesus and Cena.

They don't care, they found someone else to play Umaga.

And I also own that WOW where they talked about UPW, I don't remember them talking much about Samoa Joe, but I definitely remember "The Prototype", they were hyping Cena as the next major star in wrestling, even back then. I seem to recall he looked a lot bigger than he does now. It's a shame they stopped putting out WOW, it was by far the best wrestling mag out there, with tons of information, but a lot less boring than PWI.

Paul Heyman did an interview this week where he said that ECW had the best MMA fighter in the world in Kurt Angle. When they did the fake challenge that led to Randy Orton, most in MMA took it to be what it was. This time, one highly ranked UFC official told the Observer that, “Now we have exposure, we’re not ignoring stuff like this. We’ll go public and have Chuck Liddell accept any public challenge or claims they’ll make”.

I'd rather see Matt hughes and Angle than Angle and Liddell.

If you liker her so much, put her on raw so you can pretend to have sex with her.

First post. Love this board.

If you liker her so much, put her on raw so you can pretend to have sex with her.

First post. Love this board.

Vince screwing another diva on TV? I wouldn't doubt it.