TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest wildpegasus

Where are all the super musicians at?

Twee...as defined by dictionary.com-"overly precious or nice". Like Belle and Sebastian. Or maybe it's just that they're European.

I still don't get why you brought up twee. Are you calling LCD Soundsystem "twee?" They're an electroclash (cue lovecraft321123!) act from NYC.

Also, Belle and Sebastian are a good band. The Arcade Fire are not.

Oh, I wasn't calling LCD Soundsystem twee. I'd just call them a band that's mildly entertaining but wears thin after a while. I was referring to your enjoyment of Belle and Sebastian with the "twee" remark. I don't get what's so wonderful about them. I mean, they're nice enough, but they sound like mid 70s AM pop music. They're like Berries and Cream Dr. Pepper. I mean, sure, the Berries and Cream are a nice addition, but meh... (I admit that analogy is terrible, but I'm enjoying a B&C Dr. Pepper right now and I find nice, but wholly uninteresting, not unlike Belle and Sebastian.)

What's wrong with The Arcade Fire? At least they have energy...

I don't like the word "twee" either. I also don't like the word "electroclash". I do, however, enjoy the words "grunge", "crunk", and "grime" when referring to musical genres and styles.

Guest Felonies!

I'm lost on the Berries & Cream Dr Pepper analogy. Are you saying that they're compromising their initial integrity by adding a novelty that will grow tiresome in the long run?

Take me seriously in what regard?

Making a jibe against a band I never mentioned in this thread, yet directing it at me. Making a borderline incomprehensible analogy—we're talking Special K/Bobby Peru-level here—re said band and some new mutant soda. Taking the Arcade Fire seriously all the while.

Now I've lost all credibility with you and the good people at Foot Locker.

And I shamelessly still enjoy The Arcade Fire. And this Berries and Cream thing really starts to grow on you after a while.

Guest Felonies!

BELLE AND SEBASTIAN. THey're like Sonic Youth. Fuck a love Sonic Youth. BUT THEY'RE WIHT A DAGGER IN OYUR MIND. Sister Ray coud beat the shit out o Bel adn sebastian if they songs coukd fight.

AIN'T NOTHIN GON BREAK MY STRIDE ANY NOTHING GON SLOOW ME DOWN I HAVE TO KEEP MOVIGN

Guest Felonies!

THERE'S GOT TO BE SOME GOOD REASON FOR YOU LITTLE BLACK PBACKPACK UP SMACK DTURN AROUND HE'S ONE HIS BACK HEY DON'T WANNA TANO WITH YOU IDD RAHTER TANGO WITHHIM I THINK IM GONNA BASH HIS HEAD IN AND IF THSI DOSN'T CNCER YOU EXCEPT THAT DON'T EXPECT TO GET YOUR LBOODY BLKACK BACK PACK BAAAAAAAAAACK

i enjoy arcade fire a whole lot more than the lcd soundsystem. in fact, most dance rock or rock dance groups like lcd, cut copy, hot chip, ect leave me unsatisfied. if a band unintentionally makes one dance, thats tremendous. but to make a concerted effort to merge daft punk and the beatles is a conflict of interest.

lets not go crazy. arcade fire doesn't touch tv on the radio, yeah yeah yeahs, or even wolf parade. i just really don't like much from the james murphy camp.

I prefer The Arcade Fire over the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs any day of the week. Probably Wolf Parade, too. TV on the Radio is close, though. I could go either way. The YYYs seem too image concious, at least they did on their first CD. I haven't really heard any of their new stuff to judge.

I prefer The Arcade Fire over the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs any day of the week. Probably Wolf Parade, too. TV on the Radio is close, though. I could go either way. The YYYs seem too image concious, at least they did on their first CD. I haven't really heard any of their new stuff to judge.

SEEM? HAVEN'T?

those are two words one shouldn't use when dismissing a group.

plus, image has nothing to do with music.

you're such an amateur.

Well, I try to not make sweeping generalizations about other musicians. I can only use my own opinion. I have nothing against the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs. I just like the Arcade Fire better than I like them. I'm not dismissing them, I'm just stating an opinion about them while keeping in mind that my opinion doesn't have to be the opinion of everyone else. I don't think that's an "amateur" thing to do. I think it's quite mature and well-rounded, thankyouverymuch.

Image has something to do with music. Otherwise bands wouldn't put pictures of themselves in CD sleeves or on TV and they would wear plastic garbage bags when they perform.

buddy.

tv on the radio could be nyc drag queens for all i care. image, how one dresses, ect should not effect how one feels about their music. you're a victim of the mtv generation, son. image means something in regards to popularity, but it means nothing in regards to the actual playing of music. or the skill of an artist.

and your "opinion" deserved to be shat on because you admittedly dismissed them because of their image in addition to the fact that you've only listened to 1/2 of their musical output. i'm not saying you should like them, but maybe you should become more versed in the subject before you say anything.

Geez, you're a master baiter. Please, in the future, refrain from calling me either "buddy" or "son". I'm also not a victim of the MTV generation. I just didn't hear anything in the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs first CD that would make me want to actively seek out their second CD. I have nothing against them, but I would be just fine if I didn't ever hear a Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs' song again. I sincerely apologize if my general indifference to the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs offended you so greatly. Obviously I'm not a wonderful connossieur of music like you because if I don't care for something, I have no desire to seek out more of it, even if it means being called "buddy" or "amateur" on an internet message board.

instead of attacking me, i'd suggest attempting to back up any of the foolish comments you previously made. now you're indifferent to the yeah yeah yeahs. you don't need to hear a yeah yeah yeahs song again. first it was imagine, now indifference.

I'm sorry but I don't recall attacking you. And I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say "first it was imagine now it's indifference". I don't feel that my comments were foolish, but to each his own. Do you work for the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs or something? You're on their street team, right? Either way, I still have no interest in the Yeah, Yeah, Yeahs. Maybe you should soften your approach. It's been fun, but I have other things to do so I'm done with this arbitrary arguement until my battle rap CD drops, boy-eeeee!

Guest Felonies!

Ugh, I hate the word "twee."

Can a twee band still be anthemic?

Only if they have infectious hooks with shimmering power-pop production.