TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chirs3

SWF Smarkdown Card 7-10-2006

Ya'll are a bunch of babies crying over House Rules is all I can say - ain't got no imagination or something?

How about this one - a "Spin the Wheel" Gauntlet match ;) no house rules stips, just a bunch of "Old School" match types :D (There was talk about making this belt an "old school" type of belt a while ago)

*EDIT*I stand corrected: 6 names so far, Spike just bitched about House Rules but didn't specically state that he wanted in the match ;)

Ya'll are a bunch of babies crying over House Rules is all I can say - ain't got no imagination or something?

How about this one - a "Spin the Wheel" Gauntlet match ;) no house rules stips, just a bunch of "Old School" match types :D (There was talk about making this belt an "old school" type of belt a while ago)

*EDIT*I stand corrected: 6 names so far, Spike just bitched about House Rules but didn't specically state that he wanted in the match ;)

dude... screw the serious gimmicks. Just go for the fucking gold and make everyone happy.

Calvinball. Book it.

... no. The last Calvinball match featured an essay by Drea pasted into the middle of it. I think the glory days of such a match are over.

I don't, I'm admittedly the type that needs something laid out in front of them, something concrete and solid to go on. But despite my faults as a writer, it has just as much to do with the stipulation.

It's all preference, but it's difficult to get up any enthusiam for a match when it sometimes doesn't even a ring, often comedy based, and especially during the World Tour, involving a place we can only read about and some arbitrary goal that too often involves our characters throwing our opponent into that thing over there, for example, with only a vague Wikipedia description and a few pictures to go on. There's only so much one can do with it, while it's safe to say we can all relate to wrestling and a ring.

It's not just House Rules, but Calvinball, Big League Chew, whatever, basically every comedy stip. Yeah, I'm no fun, but either way, it's far more challenging to squeeze comedy and area specific pandering out of standard matches than to have it feel forced with wacky stipulation of the week.

I wrote a promo challenging the champ...

I'm with Manson to a certain extent; House Rules should be used sparingly. Calvinball was very fun to write, and the Crimson Tide match wasn't bad either, but this World Tour with barely anything to call an arena to wrestle in... goofy and wacky is all very well, but there comes a time when I just want a ring, some human fans, and the chance to write a wrestling match. Know what I mean? I mean, what if we had some 'oh-my-God-it's-unbelieveable' return on this show? Say Edwin returned to active duty, or Silent, or Magnifico or god forbid, Chris Wilson... and they're in the frickin' Jedi Temple on Coruscant. How do you write a dramatic return there? Have Yoda marking out or something?

"McPhisto it is, Edwin!!" *Yoda's chair bops up and down as he totally loses it*

Before we go on - I do understand what both Manson & Mike are saying, to each his own and I would like to think that there is room for this in this federation.

House Rules: Before the fictional world tour they weren't on EVERY show, they were used more sparringly (usually in my UV matches ;) ) but you can't pass up the opportunity to do a house rules match in some of these locations. But I agree they have their place and shouldn't be worn out by over use.

Those not booked in a house rules match on this tour, meh - a few comments here and then, nothing major and you're good to go if that's all you want to do. We've yet to have a show that didn't actually feature a ring ;) I don't see the arenas as a huge deal, they just have to be sold a little less generically than usual.

And maybe it's just me but there are only so many "regular standard matches" I can read in a row before my attention wanders.

I'm with Manson to a certain extent; House Rules should be used sparingly. Calvinball was very fun to write, and the Crimson Tide match wasn't bad either, but this World Tour with barely anything to call an arena to wrestle in... goofy and wacky is all very well, but there comes a time when I just want a ring, some human fans, and the chance to write a wrestling match. Know what I mean? I mean, what if we had some 'oh-my-God-it's-unbelieveable' return on this show? Say Edwin returned to active duty, or Silent, or Magnifico or god forbid, Chris Wilson... and they're in the frickin' Jedi Temple on Coruscant. How do you write a dramatic return there? Have Yoda marking out or something?

That's the way I feel 100% and then some. It's kind of fun, but then again, what's fun for me is the fed and not the seriousness or whackiness of the fed. I know some people enjoy bringing back the old-school feel of the gimmicky fed from the past, but you know, I really enjoy myself more when there's more shock and surprise and great matches and storylines as opposed to, "What WHACKY turn with the fed take today?" I'm new, and I don't know how this place works, but I loved when I first came in and I had a lot of fun. When I left I was booked a couple times in stipulations for House Rules where I felt like, "Uh...what? I really don't want to write this." And it's not a shot at the bookers, because I was planning on taking off for two or three months anyways, it's just a tad much to have to write house-rules, which is really the reason I'm glad I'm a champion, I feel a sense of safety that I won't have to write a stipulation house-rules match for a title defense...or at least not yet~!

Shock, surprise, great matches & storylines can be built whether it's Alderaan or Alabama - the setting is just the windowdressing for the federation, the real meat of the federation are the matches and the storylines written. They shouldn't hamper you unless you let them by getting too hung up on WHERE we are instead of WHAT story you're trying to tell.

Yeah I enjoy the fictional tour obviously but then again I enjoy every location where there is something to make it stand out - something that's more than just a generic "Somewhere nondescript, USA". But as much as I enjoy the tour what I enjoy the most is telling a story, building something with someone else - something I've been trying to do since I returned from my break but haven't quite gotten yet. But then again right now it doesn't look like there are THAT many stories being told in general, which is a shame.

If you enjoy the twists and turns of a great story - then help make them happen, if you enjoy great wrestling matches, write them I mean have you all be saddled with house rules match after house rule match lately? or has it been the rare occurance except for those of us that like those types of matches?

I understand what you mean, and in terms of writing the matches then where you are doesn't affect what you can do regarding wrestling moves, but the very nature of pro-wrestling is about the environment and the psychology of the environment. How many matches do you see where the heel stops to taunt the fans, and the face gets a chance to make a comeback? Where the face seems to be feeding off the support of the fans? Granted, the second one always seems a little lame to me, but it's those sort of things, plus the atmosphere that you can build even in text form with the chants of the fans, that helps show that we are writing a pro-wrestling match, not just a fight between two guys in weird outfits somewhere random.

That's why I feel a bit lost when we're not in an arena somewhere with fans, because you lose that essential part. That's why when you're watching a match on TV, or even in person, a dead crowd makes the match seem worse and a red-hot crowd can make it seem a bit better. We're taking a medium of entertainment that is based around a performance that gets a reaction from a crowd, and taking it out of that situation.

Spike vs. Dace from Dace's return a couple of months ago was the first match where I heavily involved the crowd into the action and psychology of the match. I think it came out great.

I can't do that in outerspace or in a zombie-filled police station.

At this point I feel like I'm ignoring it. The fictional world tour is supposed to be acknowledged and made to stand out, but then here I am ignoring it and just writing like I'm in a regular arena. Yeah, originally the novelty of the idea worked and was cool, and that was for one show. Now I just wish, "THE SWF'S BIGGEST SHOW FROM MADISON SQUARE GARDEN,YES~!"

And that brings me to this:

We need to do a fictional show from Madison Cubed Garden, you know, from Futurama.

See, I'm also down for shows with themes from cult stuff that I might know. Resident Evil...yes, I know. But Halo...not so much. Reboot? Haven't seen that show in years and I'm not from Canada. MST3K? Never watched it. I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan, but I would at least be able to bullshit my way through it (and I wasn't even booked).

Basically, I'm down for Futurama.

Perhaps having CC solicit the writers every now and then to ask us where we'd like the shows to be held, as opposed to pulling stuff out of a hat and just assuming that we'll find as cool as they do, may alleviate some of this.

See, I'm also down for shows with themes from cult stuff that I might know. Resident Evil...yes, I know. But Halo...not so much. Reboot? Haven't seen that show in years and I'm not from Canada. MST3K? Never watched it. I'm not the biggest Star Wars fan, but I would at least be able to bullshit my way through it (and I wasn't even booked).

Basically, I'm down for Futurama.

So your complaint isn't "it's just too odd" it's "I don't know them" - we could do shows from odd locations and imaginary places forver as long as you know them?

Halo - clearly states it's a bunch of soldiers, so think of it as any tour of Iraq or Afganistan, it's not like you HAVE to sell intricate details of the Halo universe and they're still humans so I don't see the big problem

MST3K - it said "crowd of 50 to 5000 fans" - if you chose not to use the MST3K commentary it's not that different than anywhere else really. Reboot? So they're bytes and sprites or whatever, just have them react like humans since that's how they act in the series basically and you're good to go.

Star Wars - you have two crowds, the close up crowd of the council and then the fans outside the windows to provide you the majority of the reactions, it's not THAT big a deal and honestly it's the first show where the crowd can't just be sold as any generic crowd if you want to write it like that.

People are making mountains out of mole hills here just cause we go away from the "safe" settings for a couple of shows - cause there seems to be an inordenate amount of complaining about what'll probably be like 1% of all SWF shows but is made out to be like a HUGE chunk of SWF history. Don't worry I'm sure we'll resume normal touring soon so you all can sell the crowd of Des Moins with all their differences compared to the crowd of St. Louis.

That's why I feel a bit lost when we're not in an arena somewhere with fans, because you lose that essential part.
And when have we been in a place where there haven't been fans? there is a ring, there are people around it - you decide how "into it" they are - the arena isn't your traditional arena, but that's IT, you got everything else if you chose to use it.

Too many responses to address them all individually, so I'll just say this.

The World Tour isn't meant to force you guys into being wacky and wierd (aside from House Rules, of course), and I apologize if it comes off that way. It's simply here so that IF you want to be wild and wacky, you can. And if not, you don't have to.

Take a look at Wildchild's recent matches - I don't think he mentions the Satellite of Love once in his match against Staunton. Just "Hey it's Lockdown, now here's the match!" It's just like a standard match in a standard arena, and that's fine! There's a reason I made Mike and the bots OPTIONAL commentators, after all. :P

If you wanna be silly, be silly. If you don't, then don't. It's that simple. :P

And if you guys absolutely despise, abhor, and otherwise cannot tolerate in any way shape or form the Fictional World Tour, then we won't do it again next year.

And no, the INT match(es) will not be House Rules. Considering the mostly negative reaction to House Rules, I'm thinking they will become somewhat rarer once the World Tour is over.

Edited by chirs3

Just book a series of "Blindfold matches" and you'll have everyone clamoring for something with House Rules instead, E-feds don't hold the patent on odd matches after all ;)

Just book a series of "Blindfold matches" and you'll have everyone clamoring for something with House Rules instead, E-feds don't hold the patent on odd matches after all ;)

I'd kill to be in a Blindfold match.

I, however, would not like to be in that awful Straight Bread stipulation that had to be an abortion to write. Props to the idea, it's hillarious, I just feel bad for the writers who partook in such a CRAZY stipulation.

Is that the format used for the Santo tournament in CMLL? Or in other words what EXACTLY Torneo Cibernetica?

Torneo Cibernetico (the O is important, the tournament is masculine and Torneo Cibernetica is an egregious change of tense), or the Cybernetic Tournament, is an elimination style tag match, usually four on four or five on five, but with a tagging order. For example:

Sly, Manson, ???, Blank vs. Landon, Zyon, Spike, Akira

Sly can only tag to Manson, who can only tag to ???, who can only tag to Blank, who can only tag to Sly. Landon can only tag to Zyon, who can only tag to Spike, who can only tag to Akira, who can only tag to Landon. Should one team be completely eliminated and more than one member remain from the surviving team, those members fight, elimination-style, amongst themselves. It all holds together very nicely, gives the opportunity to be dickish, and is a high-scale match for a high-scale title.

As I've said before, the Torneo Cibernetico would be an awesome damn match. But you need a balance of good writers on both sides to make it fair and worth it. The fed has produced some killer tag and six man tag matches in the past and such a match would add to it.

But you're gonna need a group on both sides that want to do it to make it work. But hey, at least it's being talked out before hand rather than after it's booked.