TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest NYankees

POTC DMC

Guest NYankees

I haven't seen it yet and I plan on going to see it on Sunday. Can someone please give a review of the movie without spoilers. Thanks.

Damn was this good. Balls to the wall with the action, humor, Depp chewing scenery at his best, piratey sea action.

And Davy Jones is just sooooo cool and badass.

Not to mention a really fuckin cool ending.

I'd say the biggest improvement over part 1 is Will and Elizabeth's characters, they have pretty engaging plotlines of their own, unlike part 1 where they bored me and I just wanted to get back to Jack Sparrow. Will totally seems at home with the swashbuckling sea life here. And Depp as jack is of course awesome, he's really managed to craft an iconic character.

I'm anxiously awaiting Part 3 next summer.

main_pirates2.jpg

As soon as I heard that this guy wasn't a Cthulhu monster, I got pissed and vowed to never see the movie. Not that I was planning on seeing it anyways, but, y'know.

Awesome movie. I'll be anxiously awaiting part 3.

Now that's how you do a cliffhanger ending leading to a third part! You knew the end was coming and it was going to be awesome. It didn't just end abruptly like the second Matrix.

Saw it on Wednesday. I enjoyed it, but it wasn't as fun as the first. Dragged alot especially in the beginning, and this isn't a short film. Most of the movie doesn't seem to go anywhere until about halfway through. The CGI, at least for the Kraken, is absolutely amazing. I've never seen better. The ending completely caught me by surprise, and not just the twist at the end.

I had no idea this was going to be a set up film for the 3rd movie. I knew going in they're releasing PotC 3 next year, but it just never dawned on me that they were going to take the Matrix/Back to the Future approach. I knew something was up when more than 2 hours had gone by, and the film felt like it was stuck in the second act.

Guest Skironox

I loved this movie. It's the most fun I've had watching a movie since Batman Begins. I admittedly only half watched the first one, but I enjoyed how the plot picked up right after it.

Depp hasn't lost a step in playing the Jack Sparrow character, and the whole crew of Davy Jones was pretty good CGI. All in all a good, fun movie.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

Why do the actors play the pirates so...gay.

Did anyone stay after the credits? Apprently something happens afterwards.

And movie was awesome, I loved the ending.

Guest NYankees
Depp hasn't lost a step in playing the Jack Sparrow character,

Can you picture Depp being nominated for another oscar off of this role?

Did anyone stay after the credits? Apprently something happens afterwards.

The dog w/the keys is the tribe's new chief

Didn't dig it as much as the first. I hate to throw around terms like "realistic" when talkin' about a movie with skeletal undead pirates, but the first one had an air of "yeah, this shit could have happened" that I liked. This one was WAYYYY out there, and as a villain Davy Jones can't even scratch the kick I got out of Geoffrey Rush's Barbossa.

Still an okay flick with an excellent score and choreography, and as said

the Kraken

was nice.

Could anyone hear the dialogue near the end when Elizabeth

tells Jack why she's tying him to The Black Pearl?

It was muffeled to my ears in the theater and I couldn't make it out.

And for anyone who dosen't know, Chow Yun Fat is playing the villian in part 3.

dont remember the specific words, but the gist was,

the Kraken was after JACK and not the ship, and she was doing it so the rest of them could live. Then she says she's not sorry, and he smiles and calls her a pirate.

The movie was action packed and very funny. Depp is fantastic as Jack Sparrow. I couldn't tell if his character was drunk, high, gay or all three. I can't wait to see part three next year.

Guest Skironox

Too early to tell. Most of the Oscar nod movies come out in the last 3 months of the year, so I have little to compare it to. But Depp is brilliant in the role, he's given Sparrow a personality of his own well played. Still, the Academy is prejudiced against sequels and Summer movies, the fact he got a nod in the first place broke all kinds of conventions. Based on that I'd bet against it.

Glad I could contribute my $5 towards the biggest opening day ever.

Guest NYankees

Too early to tell. Most of the Oscar nod movies come out in the last 3 months of the year, so I have little to compare it to. But Depp is brilliant in the role, he's given Sparrow a personality of his own well played. Still, the Academy is prejudiced against sequels and Summer movies, the fact he got a nod in the first place broke all kinds of conventions. Based on that I'd bet against it.

Glad I could contribute my $5 towards the biggest opening day ever.

Thats great to hear. 5 dollars for a movie ticket?? Damn!!!!! Last time I went to the movies it was to go see Click and one ticket costs 11 dollars in downtown Manhattan.

5 bucks? Where do you live? Mine was 8!

He probably went early in the day, mine cost 8 at well but I caught the 11:40 (at night, only show that wasn't sold out) showing.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster
5 bucks? Where do you live? Mine was 8!

At my movie theater, it's $5.75 for any movie before 6pm, and $8.50 for any movie after 6pm. I always go before 6pm.

Yeah 5.75 is what it costs at my local theater for a matinee showing. Anyway, here are some thoughts:

--The ultra grotesque villains in this one almost made me feel ill after a while. I can't say that I really liked Davy Jones as well as I did Barbossa as the main heel.

--I dunno, there were some aspects of this I didn't like as much as the first. The whole Elizabeth/Jack semi romance subplot didn't do much for me (it wasn't set up much at all in the first film, in fact the idea of this was used as a joke near the end). I guess we'll find out they are brother and sister in the 3rd movie and Keith Richards is their dad.

--The Kraken! It made me wanna bust out my DVD of Clash of the Titans. Depp may have jobbed to the Kraken in this but Harry Hamlin didn't. And yes, I know the effects were better in POTC on the Kraken but I think the Kraken in Clash had more personality somehow.

--Barbossa is back?! They have explaining to do on this one. I assume he survived due to Sparrow shooting him right BEFORE Will dropped the coin into the chest, though I dunno what the blood could have been. Maybe he was faking? Second, why on earth would he help them out? Has he made amends or is he looking for Jack for his own revenge?

Anyway, I liked it pretty well but enjoyed the first one a bit better. At least this one served up more of the same audience pleasing fun and didn't take a really wrong turn like the Matrix Reloaded.

Did anyone else have the Johnny Depp/Orlando Bloom teeny bopper girls at their theater?

I had a ton with shirts they made themselves that said things like "I *heart* Pirates/Orlando/Johnny" and shit like that.

And there were some people dressed up like pirates.

Yeah, at the theater I went to there was a group of teen girls with one guy and they were all wearing t-shirts with Depp's picture on the front.

It took me by surprise the original was so beloved. It looked like the type of movie that would be all but forgotten in a month, but then it became this cult hit.

The sequel sounds bloated and from what I've heard, it suffers from redundancy and poor editing. Something tells me that at two-and-a-half hours, that's accurate.

Guest NYankees
but then it became this cult hit.

You have every right to your point but I wouldn't call a movie that made over 300 million in the box office in the U.S. alone a cult hit. Dazed and Confused, Rocky Horror Picture Show were cult hits.

The movie was all over the place in terms of plot and pacing. Davey Zoidberg was a lame villain too. Thank god

Barbossa is back.