TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

UFC 62: Babalu Vs. Liddell...

Diego Sanchez-Nick Diaz

If Diego gets past Karo (and that's a big if) can we stop saying he's overrated?

Not only that, but he is the true #1 contender to the Welterweight Title.

So Tong, Yushin Okami was capable of cutting to 175 right? He also lost to Shields? So he's small and lost to a 170 fighter with an arguably less effective style of what Terrell does, although the decision was admittedly disputed.

Why should I think he has a legitimate chance to make noise in this division, and what are his chances of beating Terrell? Strengths, weaknesses?

Well, saying Shields is a less effective version of Terrell is a bit off, as though both are BJJ'ers, they have very different strengths & strategies. Terrell has better stand-up, is bigger, stronger, and more explosive. Shields, however, is a better wrestler, has better ground control, can fight more effectively off his back and has shown more ability to handle deep fights and adversity.

Okami IS a small MW who could cut to WW, but he's shown enough strength to deal with true (if not top class) middleweights. He's relatively well rounded, though he isn't an offensive threat of his back, and his best weapon his probably his G&P. He's one of the Japanese who could really adapt well to the cage & elbows. He'll be a good gatekeeper level guy, though i don't see him troubling Franklin/Marquardt/etc.

Well I said that because they both seem like world-class grapplers who love the top game, but Terrell has shown to be more offensive than Shields who stalls like mad.

How would Okami do if they let him cut to WW? Why doesn't he do that?

Well I said that because they both seem like world-class grapplers who love the top game, but Terrell has shown to be more offensive than Shields who stalls like mad.

It's weird: Shields often doesn't work when he should, and Terrell often works when he shouldn't. Terrell's style has bit him in the ass before, if only once.

How would Okami do if they let him cut to WW? Why doesn't he do that?

Okami could probably do pretty well at WW due just to his height, reach & takedown D, though Hughes, GSP & Karo would still beat him. Also, outside of wrestlers, cutting weight is pretty foreign an idea to Japanese fighters, since they often feel that being comfortable and semi-successful at one weight is better than straining yourself and doing better at another.

It was a tough fight to judge but I remember watching it and thinking to myself that if it was judging under PRIDE rules Okami would've taken it because of effort to finish the fight, something Shields did showed very little of.

Bonnar-Griffin II has been added to the card. Griffin's definitely looked like the more improved fighter ince TUF I ended and Bonnar's coming off a pretty lackluster performance on UFN, so this should be interesting.

Bonnar needs to take this one or that's him fucked. Poor showings against Evans and Jardine, coupled with a loss against Forrest and UFC would probably only keep him around to put over any new blood they wanted to push.

I think Griffin has got this one. He's became a more improved fighter since TUF, while Bonnar hasen't.

I watch Bonnar/Southworth this morning again, I thought Southworth took it.

The more I think about it the more I think UFC is doing this to take Bonnar down a peg in the division or release him entirely. Having said that I don't think he'll be released until somebody finishes him or beats him in a spectacular fashion.

Bonnar needs to take this one or that's him fucked. Poor showings against Evans and Jardine, coupled with a loss against Forrest and UFC would probably only keep him around to put over any new blood they wanted to push.

Well, full credit to Evans because his takedowns were very impressive, as was his LnP. But that was really the only boring match that Bonnar's had since TUF. As long as he's putting on exciting fights, Bonnar's one of their go-to guys for the B show that is Ultimate Fight Night. Same goes for Leben.

The thing with Bonnar-Griffin II is that you can't recreate the magic that happened in that first match. Back then, they were fairly raw fighters who were fighting for a contract. Now? They've got contracts, and maybe they won't have that same fire as they did in Ultimate Finale 1.

Thing is, the winner probably becomes the #3 contendor after Silva and Ortiz, and if Forrest wins, that sets up a Tito rematch. If Bonnar wins, I'm not sure where it can go, but it sets him up for a potential title shot as well.

I doubt the winner of the Bonnar/Griffin match is above Lambert for a title shot, especially since both are coming off of losses.

I doubt the winner of the Bonnar/Griffin match is above Lambert for a title shot, especially since both are coming off of losses.

I almost forgot about him, I could easily see him fighting Tito Ortiz in November, but Ortiz/Griffin 2 would generate more interest.

If UFC wants people to start recognizing Lambert as a title contender maybe they should do more then relegate him to untelevised fights on UFN's and PPV undercards.

If you had seen Lambert flex his four pack as a beer belly jiggles beneath it, you would never want to see him again.

Guest DRH 502

I will definately buy this. Griffin/Bonnar 2 won't be a thing of technical beauty or anything, but its great to see to dudes wildly slug it out every once in a while instead of being so cautious and...boring.

I just wish we could hurry up and get to Hughes vs. GSP so Hughes can beat him, then finally get his rematch against BJ...Those 2 match ups are without a doubt the ones i'm looking the most forward to. Liddell and Silva should be fucking great too.

I will definately buy this. Griffin/Bonnar 2 won't be a thing of technical beauty or anything, but its great to see to dudes wildly slug it out every once in a while instead of being so cautious and...boring.

I just wish we could hurry up and get to Hughes vs. GSP so Hughes can beat him, then finally get his rematch against BJ...Those 2 match ups are without a doubt the ones i'm looking the most forward to. Liddell and Silva should be fucking great too.

Your going to be in for a rude awakening when GSP beats Hughes...

Guest DRH 502

A rude awakening?? We shall see. I don't see ANYONE there giving it to Matt Hughes anytime soon...I can't wait until he gets his shot to avenge the BJ loss.

A rude awakening?? We shall see. I don't see ANYONE there giving it to Matt Hughes anytime soon...I can't wait until he gets his shot to avenge the BJ loss.

GSP almost KO'd Hughes in the 1st fight and since then GSP has improved greatly. He was to 1st man to ko Sean Shrek, he submitted Frank Trigg, and he showed his heart and his will to win against BJ Penn. I just feel like George St. Pierre will not give Hughes the same respect he gave him the 1st fight. He's a much better smarter fighter now then, and I just feel he's going to capture the title.

Hughes will not takedown GSP.

GSP almost KO'd Hughes in the 1st fight and since then GSP has improved greatly. He was to 1st man to ko Sean Shrek, he submitted Frank Trigg, and he showed his heart and his will to win against BJ Penn. I just feel like George St. Pierre will not give Hughes the same respect he gave him the 1st fight. He's a much better smarter fighter now then, and I just feel he's going to capture the title.

Hughes will not takedown GSP.

I just don't see how someone who is probably the number two best pound for pound fighter in the world be considered an underdog by almost everyone who has picked on this fight so far. I understand the hold GSP and his charisma and fighting style hold over people, but it's Matt Hughes people!

Guest DRH 502

Hughes won't take down GSP??? Riiiight. And GSP ALMOST KNOCKED OUT HUGHES IN THE FIRST FIGHT?? What fight were you watching?? GSP has improved yes, but so has Hughes. Did you see the Matt Hughes that fought Royce Gracie? I know Royce isn't shit and hasn't been for a long time, but honestly the Matt Hughes that walked into that fight was the best Matt Hughes has ever been. He has packed on some solid muscle on his frame, appears to be much stronger in the clinch and his submission skills have been demonstrated time and time again. Did you see that armbar on Royce?? I like GSP dude, I really really do. He showed me alot in the fight with BJ Penn...fuck he has shown me alot in every fight i've saw him in. But i'm a Hughes faboy thru and thru and for good reason, he is the best. There is not a fighter at 170 pounds in the United States or Canada for that matter that will hand it to Matt Hughes...

I'd just like to point out that not all GSP fans have their heads in the clouds like EHME. GSP hung in well against Hughes in the first round and if it weren't for the armbar finish he probably would've won the round but Hughes is still Hughes and this is not going to be an easy victory. I can only see GSP winning this one by decison, honestly.