TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

WON WWE News and Notes

As of 7/1, all personal use of the “Air McMahon” corporate jet will be paid for the McMahon family. It had been paid for by the company.

Vince and Linda continue to waive salaries and bonuses, due to making so much on stock dividends.

Vince had been making around $2m a year in salary, half from his executive role and half from being television talent.

The last fiscal year, WWE made $24m profit on DVD’s, compared to $9m the year before.

They have 13,000 subscribers for 24/7 in North America.

24% of WWE income comes in from outside of NA.

There is apparently concern for Angle, as when the company listed the biggest stars under contract, the names were; HHH, Cena, Batista, Michaels, Flair, Undertaker, Mysterio, Booker, Show and Kane.

WWE has 165 wrestlers under contract.

The public reason for Angle taking what will be at least a month off is that he is injured and he asked for the time off. The actual reason is the company made the call, and felt they really had no choice but to do something to help Angle deal with “personal and emotional issues”. The 30 day suspension starts on 6/28, and right now is just the minimum time Angle will be off. A lot of people have said that things are not looking good for Angle.

They are close to having Canadian clearance for ECW. It’s major clearance, but is said to be a bad timeslot, late at night.

WWE now believe Trish Stratus won’t be coming back when her current deal expires. It’s felt Trish wants to pursue acting, and her WWE schedule wouldn’t allow that.

Vengeance did 6,8000 paid for $4000,000, which can’t be considered good from a live attendance standpoint.

The word on 6/27 is that Paul Heyman’s power has lessened again. Dreamer has had no power for a while, and is now said to have less than no power. Heyman’s current role is the head writer of ECW, but he just presents scripts to Vince, Stephanie and the creative time, who will then make whatever changes they want, and ‘liberally’ so. One person close to everything, says that Heyman’s position was hurt by the reaction at the Philadelphia house show, as he was blamed for creating a fan base that refused to accept any changes to the product. Heyman was also knocked for not being able to turn the crowd around with his promo, and it was used as proof that Heyman was not as important to the project as he said he was.

Francine got a little negative feeling towards her after the Philly house show, but more for her behavior towards Kelly than being out of place for the moonsault from Trinity. Trinity will be out for 6-8 weeks after knee surgery she needed after the spot.

The morale of wrestlers in ECW has sunk in recent weeks, primarily from being told that the reason the Rise and Fall of ECW DVD and first PPV did so well is because Raw fans brought it after learning about ECW over the past five years through WWE’s marketing of it and their encouragement of ECW chants at television tapings.

At the tapings, Vince was said to be more hands on for the ECW TV than he was even for Raw, and was personally instructing everyone on what they were to do in their segments in great detail. The only segment he didn’t worry about was Angle vs. Van Dam, which Heyman was in charge of, because it was considered bullet proof with Angle in there.

Jeff Hardy is reportedly doing a lot better, and there is strong talk of reuniting the Hardy Boyz.

Brooke Hogan’s CD is set for release on 9/26 which is why the original plans for the angle were for Summerslam and not Wrestlemania.

Eric Bischoff’s contract is believed to have expired or to expire very shortly.

Harry Smith was recruited to appear in recently season of “Hogan Knows Best” to play someone that Brooke dates. It’s also been hinted at that Smith will be programmed with Randy Orton when he debuts.

RVD’s suspension is without pay, and will cost him at least $20,800, based on his minimum guarantee.

When Sabu met with Vince, he was apologetic over what happened, but Vince refused to shake his hand. The pills Sabu had in his possession were believed to have been for gynocomastia, which is the proper medical term for the slang term “bitch tits”.

“Because males produce both testosterone and estrogen, some, often when getting off a steroid cycle, which due to injecting testosterone, causes the body to slow down it’s own production, which means it doesn’t produce much when getting off steroids. As men using steroids age, it becomes a more significant problem. Brunk (Sabu) is 42. Without producing testosterone, the estrogen the body still produces causes side effects, including the nipples to swell and develop like the beginnings of female breasts, which can only be corrected via surgery. It is not uncommon for wrestlers and bodybuilders to have the painful surgery.”

Sabu did not have prescription for the pills.

Apparently, WWE did not suspend Sabu because the drugs in question are not on their list of banned substances, and received the $1,000 fine for possession of the crack pipe.

There is an understanding that, while the drug policy prohibits the use of marijuana, the company is not vigilant on it and talent knows they will not be tested for it. It is, however, specifically written that it is against policy to use marijuana before shows, and the company will test if they have probable cause to.

The policy is more aimed at prescription pain pill abuse and to have something down on paper because steroids are a hot button issue. The policy does have a loophole, in that steroids are allowed with a prescription due to injures, and with virtually everyone having some kind of injury it is very hard to not get a prescription for steroids.

At least one wrestler got into trouble for a positive steroid test as his prescription had expired.

The original plan for 7/3 Raw was Van Dam and Sabu vs. Edge and Mick Foley vs. Cena and Flair.

Even before the decision was made to suspend Van Dam, it was a very strong consensus that the title had to be taken off Van Dam that night.

Several have noted the bad timing for Van Dam, who was meant, along with Angle, to be one of the top stars in ECW. Van Dam was not favored by management, due to their feeling he was overrated in the ring and couldn’t do the promos they wanted out of a headliner, which was, despite being popular enough to headline in the past, and when a decision was made to put the World title on Van Dam, emphasized by HHH in order to nix the decision.

Unless forced, WWE has an old-line wrestler philosophy regarding the ability of a wrestler to carry the company, and that the guys who have been players are the only money players.

Edge and Rey were meant to be short-term headliners, but because of how well they got over are more accepted at top, but Edge far mores so than Rey because of Rey’s size.

Van Dam got the belt not because they wanted him to have it but because they wanted to establish the ECW brand and Van Dam fit the bill. However, with how strong his matches have been, Van Dam was starting to get seen in a new light. One source said that Vince was warming up to Van Dam and was blocking out the anti-RVD movement in the company, but he’ll now have to rebuild that when he comes back.

The booking plan for SNME and the three-way was for Cena to lay out Van Dam but for Edge to steal the pin.

For 7/4 on ECW, the plan was for Van Dam to beat Edge clean. The idea that was to play out was that Van Dam was getting worn out by his hectic schedule of title defenses, to build up to his eventual title loss.

While Heyman turning on Van Dam looked to have been built up since the beginning of ECW, it did become the plan until Monday and wasn’t even finalized until the Tuesday. One source said that it may have happened eventually, buy not this soon.

The original plan for Van Dam was for him to hold the ECW Title until at least early next year, because of the feeling that the title needed to be established.

Apparently, Ironton, OH is known as a speed trap area.

Dave doesn’t see any kind of buy rate for the Bash, but does say he may be underestimating Batista so who knows. Matches are Batista vs. Henry, Rey vs. Booker for the title, Lashley vs. Regal vs. Finlay for the US Title, Undertaker vs. Khali in a Punjabi prison match, London and Kendrick vs. Noble and Kash for the tag titles and Crazy vs. Psicosis.

Chris Masters is in rehab over drug usage, but he did not fail a steroid test.

As Hogan’s storyline now stands, it does include him beating Orton at Summerslam. It could change, but regardless of that it’s Hogan’s call.

There is internal pressure regarding SNME, as NBC aren’t happy WWE hasn’t promoted the show well on Raw or ECW.

Dave called the Raw segment with DX messing around with Vince as he talked in the ring “horrible”, and “in one week, DX went from being hilarious to jumping the shark and then some”.

ECW on 7/4 drew about 1,500 for $45,000.

The crowd chants garnered a very negative reaction internally.

Gunner Scott is being sent back to OVW.

Jim Mitchell has been calling to try and get into ECW, going to Sabu to try and get in as his manager and mouthpiece.

Mitchell wants to stop pressing the Doomsday Button for Abyss? Well I never.

Jim Mitchell has been calling to try and get into ECW, going to Sabu to try and get in as his manager and mouthpiece.

Awesome, I thought he was still in TNA. Mitchell would fit in very nicely with Sabu I think.

Call me crazy, but the card for GAB doesn't seem all that horrible. Four of the matches could be really, really good:

Batista vs. Henry

Rey vs. Booker for the title

Lashley vs. Regal vs. Finlay for the US Title

Undertaker vs. Khali in a Punjabi prison match

London and Kendrick vs. Noble and Kash for the tag titles

Crazy vs. Psicosis.

JD was better than anybody expected, so hopefully with the quality of Smackdown lately, GAB will be even better. Hopefully.

Jeff Hardy is reportedly doing a lot better, and there is strong talk of reuniting the Hardy Boyz.

Good to hear that coming from Meltzer.

Gunner Scott is being sent back to OVW.

I still think this is a shitty decision.

Here's what I don't get: What is the plan now for the ECW title? I mean surely they aren't going to leave it on the Big Show until that Dec. PPV, though that actually makes the most sense for a title chase when RVD gets back. Since there are so few PPVs for ECW they kinda have to hotshot stuff on TV.

Here's what I don't get: What is the plan now for the ECW title? I mean surely they aren't going to leave it on the Big Show until that Dec. PPV, though that actually makes the most sense for a title chase when RVD gets back. Since there are so few PPVs for ECW they kinda have to hotshot stuff on TV.

When RVD gets back he's suppose to get a big push right back to the main event scene. So Big Show having the title till Dec. most likely won't happen.

I wouldn't be opposed to TBS defending against Sabu, and RVD returns to help Sabu pick up the win. Then have RVD/TBS feud for a little while, while Sabu does his thing taking out guys here and there. From all of that, then build up to RVD/Sabu for the December ECW PPV for the title.

Well, with the announcement of Sabu being on SNME likely squashing someone in "extreme action" I think they may well be positioning him as the main guy for the time being until this RVD thing blows over. Is Big Show even on the SNME show?

Call me crazy, but the card for GAB doesn't seem all that horrible. Four of the matches could be really, really good:

Batista vs. Henry

Rey vs. Booker for the title

Lashley vs. Regal vs. Finlay for the US Title

Undertaker vs. Khali in a Punjabi prison match

London and Kendrick vs. Noble and Kash for the tag titles

Crazy vs. Psicosis.

I might go to it..........

I've heard everything but the mitchell story. That's shocking to me actually. I thought he was doing good in tna.

He had surgery for it - that's why he wore a shirt for Rock/Mankind at the Rumble (the famous "I quit" match) and a while after that.

Guest Frank_Nabbit

I miss reading the weekly old wrestler update in the odds and ends section of WON - Any good stories there lately?

The word on 6/27 is that Paul Heyman’s power has lessened again. Dreamer has had no power for a while, and is now said to have less than no power. Heyman’s current role is the head writer of ECW, but he just presents scripts to Vince, Stephanie and the creative time, who will then make whatever changes they want, and ‘liberally’ so. One person close to everything, says that Heyman’s position was hurt by the reaction at the Philadelphia house show, as he was blamed for creating a fan base that refused to accept any changes to the product. Heyman was also knocked for not being able to turn the crowd around with his promo, and it was used as proof that Heyman was not as important to the project as he said he was.

I swear Dave says a different variation of this every update...Heyman should be at negative power by now...Dreamer should be homeless and jobless by now.

Surprised about Mitchell there. And he's not needed in ECW-Sabu learned to talk!

In all fairness, once Sabu did a shoot interview and the Forever Hardcore documentary . . . the mute gimmick went SOL in my book. That said, WWE probably doesn't even know of a Sabu shoot interview.

Everytime I read this statement, I feel like Lewis black when he gets frustrated and goes cross-eyed and does that thing with his fingers

Harry Smith was recruited to appear in recently season of “Hogan Knows Best” to play someone that Brooke dates. It’s also been hinted at that Smith will be programmed with Randy Orton when he debuts.

I love how reality TV is just as fake as wrestling.

Wait, will Smith introduce himself to Hulk "Hey, I'm Harry Smith. Bret's nephew. I'm banging your daughter. That'll teach you to hold my uncle down."

The public reason for Angle taking what will be at least a month off is that he is injured and he asked for the time off. The actual reason is the company made the call, and felt they really had no choice but to do something to help Angle deal with “personal and emotional issues”. The 30 day suspension starts on 6/28, and right now is just the minimum time Angle will be off. A lot of people have said that things are not looking good for Angle.

Does anyone know the story behind this statement? I know Kurt's wife left him a while ago and he had other issues at home. What's the backstory here?

PWInsider Elite claimed that WWE recently discovered that Angle had a very hardcore addiction to Vicodin.

Guest JustPassinBy
PWInsider Elite claimed that WWE recently discovered that Angle had a very hardcore addiction to Vicodin.

With MMA taking off, would it be out of the realm that Kurt Angle could go to the UFC?

I think he could be a big draw in that sport.

Of course, he may not be good enough.

I think the rumor going around is Angle has been addicted to pain killers for a few years and recently he's been going through perscriptions and refills like food and water.

I am not at all surprised to hear this rumor considering the condition of Angle's body and his refusal to take time to heal past injuries.

With MMA taking off, would it be out of the realm that Kurt Angle could go to the UFC?

I think he could get seriously hurt in a MMA ring. I think he would have to learn another fighting style.

Kurt's body is in bits and pieces by this point. He's being held together by scotch tape and super glue. The last thing he needs to do is enter MMA and UFC and get himself literally killed.