TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

Dragonforce

Guest Agent of Oblivion
"We wanted to keep things interesting, and there are sections of certain songs that will remind you of video games," grins Hong Kong-born Li. "Many people will hear them and assume they were made by keyboards. That’s completely wrong. All those parts are done on the guitar."

The current "it" power metal band, they have nothing going for them besides playing super-fast. No real melody, and an awful singer.

I could easily toss out a large number of superior power metal bands, though I'm sure Agent would scoff those just as equally

Guest Agent of Oblivion

This thread is for making fun of Dragonforce. I'll make fun of other power metal bands someplace else.

Dragonforce has to be one of the cheesiest names for a band...I honestly thought it was a joke the first time I heard it.

Guest Vitamin X
They're at least bad in a vaguely amusingly way, unlike Dream Theater.

Yeah I agree with this, I don't think Dragonforce takes themselves too seriously either.

This is what happens when D&D nerds make a power metal band, really.

My main expierience with Dragonforce is this obese dude at work who has a dragonforce t-shirt (with a dragon blowing fire at a castle). Basically all i've ever seen him wear is this dragonforce tshirt, like: every. single. time. He also has long hair and the the worst neck beard ever. I mean it's literally strands of long horrible hair (like a couple of inches long) and its not even thick. It's like random strands on his chin/neck. I just feel like anyone with him in their fanbase isn't worth listening too.

I also heard that when they played download they got aload of people in the audience to get plastic swords and to wave them around while they played.

When they first came out I didn't even give them any thought, since there's something like 20+ metal bands with the name Dragon(something)

He also has long hair and the the worst neck beard ever. I mean it's literally strands of long horrible hair (like a couple of inches long) and its not even thick. It's like random strands on his chin/neck. I just feel like anyone with him in their fanbase isn't worth listening too.

What's with the sudden explosion of neckbeard discussion? I'd never even heard the term a few weeks ago and now it's some kind of fad here. Soon people will be ending interrogative sentences with neckbeards instead of periods! It's a pandemic.

DragonForce have described themselves as belonging to the "extreme power metal" genre (DragonForce.com, Dec 2005). This genre, seemingly "created" by DragonForce, has yet to see any other bands emerge from within it
:lol:

I'm a power metal fan...Well Iced Earth & Blind Guardian fan, and have listened to DragonForce

They basicly fall into the same area bands like Stratovarius do. They occasionally have a decent song, but for the most part they are just ANNOYING to listen to. The lead singers voice in DF is an absolute game killer for me. Alot of bands fall into that "We play fast, we sing about fantasy, and our lead singer screams shrilly all the time!" mode, and I hate it. Their one dimensional acts, while the best Power Metal bands, like the afformented IE and BG have range to do various things atleast vocally instead of the same damn thing every song.

I can't stand Manowar or Hammerfall for the same shrilly male vocal thing, although they are better overall then Dragonforce...Maybe. I can't listen to most their songs regardless.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I just had a million dollar idea. Someone should start a power metal band with a hot chick singer for all the dorks to fawn over.

Yeah, they're called "Nightwish"

Except they're not really power metal, and she's not really hot... but metal dorks fawn over her anyway

I quite like Dragonforce actually, I remember getting a copy of their first album off a friend about 3 or 4 years ago now and have beena fan ever since. Rocking out to "Valley of the Damned" was a favourite of ours in college.

I was suprised that they actually took off, even though I do like them, it's obvious that they're a bit of a joke. I'm just not sure even half the people I see in the Dragonforce t-shirts are in on it.

I just had a million dollar idea. Someone should start a power metal band with a hot chick singer for all the dorks to fawn over.

Epica

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Yeah, they're called "Nightwish"

Except they're not really power metal, and she's not really hot... but metal dorks fawn over her anyway

I took them into account.

Judging by how other metal dudes fawned over Angela Gossow, I don't think there's a genre of music extant with more desperate, fantasy-oriented males than Power Metal. Imagine some sexy valkyrie chick singing about sexy valkyries and dragons and shit. Rhapsody would be out of business.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Epica

Epica_5.jpg

Not bad, now we're getting somewhere.

Manowar recorded Battle Hymns, their debut album, which featured "Dark Avenger", a slow epic track with narration by Orson Welles (Welles later returned on the Fighting the World album and did the narration on another slow track called "Defender")

Oh man. Any time I'm tempted to feel sorry for the downward trajectory of Welles' career, I remember his own oversized ego was as much to blame as anything else.

Seriously...who thought dressing up like that for an album cover was a good idea? I mean, how can you show that cover to anyone and not either get looked at like you're crazy, or be flat out laughed at?

They could justify it under the premise that it was the 80's and everyone else had their own image issues.

Of course, they still dress in all leather outfits even to this day.

I don't care. They still make good metal, I think.

Their one dimensional acts, while the best Power Metal bands, like the afformented IE and BG have range to do various things atleast vocally instead of the same damn thing every song.

I *love* Blind Guardian, but even I'd have to say that they're too one-dimensional in their lyrics. Yeah, not all their songs are about fantasy stuff, but so much of it is that it gets on my nerves. Honestly, it bugs me when any band limits themselves like that lyrically.

As far as Dragonforce goes, meh. A friend sent me some MP3's of theirs a few years back...alright at best, nothing fancy. Too cheesy, even for me.