TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
haVoc

5 Star Tag Matches

I can't think of any off the top of my head. I'd prefer to keep this to traditional two on two matches, but if you can think of any 6, 8, or 10 men tags that come close post them.

One WWE match that immediately came to mind is the Benoit/Angle vs. Edge/Mysterio from No Mercy. I don't think I'd rate it *****, but somewhere above four for sure.

Guest wildpegasus

Benoit/Angle vs Edge/Mysterio Jr. just may be the best North American tag ever.

Haven't seen it but I've seen Sgt. Slaughter/Don Kernodle vs Steamboat/Jay Youngblood listed as 5 stars.

Kobashi/Misawa vs Kawada/Taue from 10/95 is pretty high up there. Great match.

Taue/Kawada vs Misawa/Akyima 12/96 is always a first mention

Michinoku Pro from 10/10/96 is always talked about

Thunderqueen is definitely up there.

I would have at least 2 of the Dynamite Kansai/Ozaki vs Yamada/Toyota matches up pretty high.

Hokuto/Kandori vs Aja Kong/Bull Nakono

Owen Hart/Ben Basserb vs Viet Cong Express if they actually showed it all

Ozaki/Fukuoka vs Takako Inoue/Hotta from 12/92

Eddie Guerrero/Art Barr vs Santo/Octagon When Worlds Collide -- They were actually supposed to have had a better match than this one.

Benoit/Ohtani vs Eddie/Sasuke Finals of 94 junior tag

There are other matches I'm fond of but I'd have to go back and rewatch them as so much of the matches I've seen now are just a blur in my head. I've also seen some clipped tags in Stampede that looked really promising.

Guest wildpegasus

Marafuji/KENTA vs Misawa/Ogawa from NOAH in 04 was fantastic. NOAH's had a lot of 4 plus star tag matches.

It's very hard for a tag match to be 5 stars and I'll tell you why. Too many tag matches fall into the typical "Face in peril with a heel beatdown, ref misses tag, hot tag, go to the finish" formula. Maybe this is different in Japan, but in the US that is the style.

Guest wildpegasus
KENTA/Marufuji Vs Danielson/Joe is the only NA tag match of the past 4 years to approach *****.

People on smarkschoice were "hard" on that match and it was one I really wanted to see so I was dissapointed in hearing that it was -- well a dissapointment.

So it's good to hear one really positive review. That would make it the best ROH tag match in history. Is there anywhere where I can download it at? Before you say to buy it let me say I'm unemployed, am owed a ton of money and have about $5 to my name.

Southern Boys vs. Midnight Express from the GAB 1990. Unbelieveable match. As Cornette points out, they were in Baltimore and the Southern Boys were faces teh action was so great.

Guest wildpegasus
Southern Boys vs. Midnight Express from the GAB 1990. Unbelieveable match. As Cornette points out, they were in Baltimore and the Southern Boys were faces teh action was so great.

Yeah, sweet match. No doubt about it.

KENTA/Marufuji Vs Danielson/Joe is the only NA tag match of the past 4 years to approach *****.

People on smarkschoice were "hard" on that match and it was one I really wanted to see so I was dissapointed in hearing that it was -- well a dissapointment.

So it's good to hear one really positive review. That would make it the best ROH tag match in history. Is there anywhere where I can download it at? Before you say to buy it let me say I'm unemployed, am owed a ton of money and have about $5 to my name.

Actually, I take that back.

Kobashi/Homicide Vs Joe/Ki, was probably the best. Both are still bonafide great matches. Kenta/Marufuji, is just more fresh.

Lets see.

Akira Taue & Toshiaki Kawada vs Kenta Kobashi & Mitsuharu Misawa (6/9/95)

Toshiaki Kawada & Akira Taue vs Mitsuharu Misawa & Jun Akiyama (12/6/96)

Yea, that's pretty much it. The former is probably the best match of all time though.

It's very hard for a tag match to be 5 stars and I'll tell you why. Too many tag matches fall into the typical "Face in peril with a heel beatdown, ref misses tag, hot tag, go to the finish" formula. Maybe this is different in Japan, but in the US that is the style.

You'll occasionally see the same "face in peril" type stuff in Japan, but it's not as goofy or contrived as it typically is in the US. Meaning no "phantom tags" where the ref misses the tag due to being distracted, etc.

I totally need to see the two AJPW tags that have been mentioned repeatedly.

On the ROH Best in the World tag match: It's pretty damn good. The match layout is standard stuff for a 30-minute tag, but I thought the most fascinating element was the character interaction. KENTA and Joe really hated each other, Danielson was being his usual jackass self, and Marufuji was trying to be the lone professional (except with Danielson because he kept cheating). It was a pretty interesting match. Maybe not as good as it could've been, but let's not be unreasonable with our standards. It's still a ****(+) match.

Another match that deserves mention is Kobashi/Shiosaki vs. Sasaki/Nakajima on 11/5/05. Great match with an awesome blend of the heavyweight and JHW style. Plus the Shiosaki surfboard + Kobashi chop to the throat double team move was sweet.

And WP, I have the ROH: BITW match. If you want, I can see about uploading it later.

Probably not 5 stars, but really fucking close if anything:

Randy Savage & Bret Hart Vs. Ric Flair & Shawn Michaels - Grudges, Gripes, and Grunts

Raven & Saturn Vs. Benoit & Malenko - Spring Stampede 1999

Rey Mysterio & Billy Kidman Vs. TWGTT - Vengeance 2003

Team Austin Vs. Team Bischoff - SSeries 2003

Guest wildpegasus
I totally need to see the two AJPW tags that have been mentioned repeatedly.

On the ROH Best in the World tag match: It's pretty damn good. The match layout is standard stuff for a 30-minute tag, but I thought the most fascinating element was the character interaction. KENTA and Joe really hated each other, Danielson was being his usual jackass self, and Marufuji was trying to be the lone professional (except with Danielson because he kept cheating). It was a pretty interesting match. Maybe not as good as it could've been, but let's not be unreasonable with our standards. It's still a ****(+) match.

Another match that deserves mention is Kobashi/Shiosaki vs. Sasaki/Nakajima on 11/5/05. Great match with an awesome blend of the heavyweight and JHW style. Plus the Shiosaki surfboard + Kobashi chop to the throat double team move was sweet.

And WP, I have the ROH: BITW match. If you want, I can see about uploading it later.

Cool, cool. Don't worry about it yet. I'm going to take another look around the net to see if it's located anywhere else first.

The Kobashi/Shiosaki vs Sasaki/Nakajima bout is one of the better matches of the decade so far. Reccomended viewing to anyone out there who hasn't seen it yet. Heavyweight/Lightheavy vs heavyweight/lightheavy is a really great way to have a tag match especially when everyone plays their roles so well.