TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Smues

Monster House

Guest Smues

I doubt anyone else here has seen it, especially since its full release isn't until next week, but I got dragged to the sneak screening by my girlfriend and had a question. I think the theater I saw it in skipped a screen but I'm not sure. I'll use spoiler tags, not that I think anybody cares but whatever.

When the kids are locked in the back of the police car and the cops are being eaten by the house I saw the second cop being eatten and then kind of a wierd cut (wierd because the music got cut off) and we see the house resetting to its none eating mode. Then they do kind of a Matrix-ish zoom into the house to show the kids are now inside the house. Was there supposed to be a scene showing how they got in? I assume there was but I suppose it could have just been bad editing.

I just saw it.

As soon as the house swallowed the police officers, the camera cut to a scene with the kids freaking out inside police car. Suddenly, the house's arms/trees come into view as it picks up the car and slowly guides it through the doorway.

The car slowly gets fed into the green HOLE OF DOOM as the kids barely escape through the rear window. The house believes it "ate" the kids, so it resets to none-eating mode. The kids are thus locked inside the house and try to sneek around without being noticed so as not awaken Mrs. Nebbercracker.

Guest Smues

Thanks. I was pretty sure we missed a scene.

Even before it showed that the kids were inside the house I thought something was odd because of where the sound cut off. Then you see the kids inside and on of them says "Maybe it thinks we're still outside!" to which I reply "I think that!"

Stupid movie theater, as if putting up with a dozen crying children isn't bad enough.

Not reading spoilers, but I saw the trailer on HDNets Nothing but Trailers and all I could think of was that this was probably too scary for its target audience, although Im seeing trailers now where it says it has stuff for adults as well..

I'm just glad they're trying something different after the last few years of "cutsey anthropomorphic animal adventures", and that the promos focus on the movie and not the celeb voice actors.

That sounds more to me like a problem with the film print then the fault of the theater itself. It's entirely possible that some imcompetant projectionist just lopped off way too much off one of the reels when he was putting together the film, but then it's also just as likely that the reel got fucked up by the lab where it was produced in the first place, and there's no real way to notice that until you actually play the film.

Building up film prints is the all time biggest pain in the ass. Any director or film editor who decides to put a completely black scene, or a fade in, at the beginning of a reel needs to burn in the pits of hell. Even worse is when you get used film prints from other theaters delivered to you that looks like someone took a shit on them and threw them in a swap, and then dragged them back out. I've gotten films delivered to me that were eight different kinds of fucked up. The biggest joy is when there's no reference frames, and they didn't bother to reattach the head and the foot on the reel, so you have no fucking clue which reel is which.