TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vampiro69

The Spirit is coming

Frank Miller is set to adapt the comic series "The Spirit" into a big screen picture and direct.

"The Spirit" is widely regarded as one of the most influential comics of all time and tells of crime fighter Denny Colt, who fights against evil as the enigmatic figure known only as the Spirit. The comic was created by Will Eisner.

Credit: Hollywood Reporter

Well this could be interesting to say the least.

I don't know what to think, but I'm still interested.

The really cool thing about the old Spirit comics was how Will Eisner was able to flawlessly switch genres and story themes. I like that they are going with the whole "chicks equal trouble" theme from the comics, but I hope that they keep some of the lightheartedness of the originals.

Marketing wise, it seems like they are really trying to hard sell Frank Miller's involvement with the movie. Visually as well, with the huge machine guns, ninjas and what not.

I'll see this either way.. but I have to wonder if Frank Miller is going to overkill this "Sin-City-style" of movie making.. I mean with the first film, and the second on it's way.. and now the Spirit.. when I first saw the trailer I thought it was going to be for Sin City 2..

This movie opened in NINTH place over the weekend...

talk about a total flop!

It even got beat out by that abomination of a remake of The Day the Earth Stood Still LMAO

I actually saw The Spirit yesterday, and I don't know what the hell I just saw. I didn't really think it was nearly as bad as critics made it out to be, but it wasn't a GOOD movie either, just mediocre. I did however, enjoy it a hell of a lot more than that Day the Earth Stood Still remake. That remake might have been the 3rd worst film I've seen this year, behind The Happening and Hancock. As for Sin City 2, I've pretty much given up all hope of that even being made at this point. If it was going to be made, it would have came out some time last year. It doesn't seem like the kind of sequel that would come a few years after the first.

I saw this Xmas day... it's pretty awesome.

You don't do shit this crazy by accident.

That's what I thought about it. With all the intentionally sarcastic/ironic jokes, weird color scheme and bizarre SLJ scenes, it felt like the movie was an inside joke.

Samuel L. Jackson dressed up as a Nazi might have been the most bizarre thing ever filmed. I was laughing at everything in that scene. I got the feeling that when critics saw that scene, they immediately felt they had to give the film 1/5 stars just for that.

I have a feeling that The Spirit is going to become a cult film.

It probably will, as on Roger Ebert's website, he gave the movie * star, but the users gave it ****. I've never seen such a huge difference in opinion from his review and the users like that before. About the closest thing I recall was Spawn. He gave that ***1/2 stars, and the users gave it *1/2 or something.

My thought exactly on the impending cult status.

As a comedy, this movie is brilliant (even if its not a comedy).

Also, Eva Mendez's ass deserves some kind of special award.

The film was OK. Just OK.

It looked nice and most of the actors gave good performances but the story was pretty weak and it just kind of plodded along.

It felt more like Miller got frustrated with not making Sin City 2 so he made this. He put effort into it, but he would have rather made Sin City 2.

This was bad.

Well, if it was supposed to be a comedy, I guess it was good. The acting was terrible, though at least Samuel L. Jackson yelled a lot.

Yeah, I heard that this sucked the big one. My girlfriend wanted to see it but I convinced her to go see the Wrestler instead, thank god.

I think one of the biggest part of the confusion of how you are supposed to take the character. The Spirit strips were pretty funny; I think too many people were assuming that this would be serious/brooding due to Miller's involvement.