TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dpac

Wireless Internet Security

So I just got set up with wirless internet. When online it says that I am secure. Anyone know how one can easily set up thier router to be on a secure connection so others can not enter? Thanks.

There should be a place on the router page (probably under the heading of wireless security) that will allow you to choose the wireless settings. I'd say choose WEP at 128 bit. they'd then have to put in a 26 character code of number and letters. Take this down and then apply it. Then go to you're pc with the wirless card. Do a new scan and when it picks up the network, it should say it is secure. Connect to this and it will ask you to enter in the WEP key. It should be secure now.

Guest Smues

I'd also suggest turning off the SSID broadcast or SID or whatever it's called.

Ok, I did do it as a WEP, and it now does say I am secure. But if one were to still go into the IP address can they still type in my SSIP and see my WEP password? Or that why you disable the SSID broadcast?

ps. I tried using the WPA way, but had some problems. Is WPA that much better than WEP?

Thanks for all the help, this is a brand new world to me?

Well, disabling the SSID only makes it so it's not broadcasting your network but if I knew it was say Ilovetojackoff and typed that in I could see it, however without knowing your key, I'd have to brute force it.

I remember hearing on Call for Help that WEP is more or less broken, and WPA, if possible, is the way to go. In fact, here you go:

http://callforhelptv.com/callforhelp/shown...6.shtml?answers

Q: I’ve searched on your site, but can’t find an easy step-by-step guide to secure my ‘unsecured wireless network’ that I see so many of in my neighborhood. I’ve read short articles about WEP and WPA and USB keys, but I don’t want to goof anything up. I am able to follow instructions, but apprehesive about jumping inand locking up my system!

The good news is that this is pretty straightforward with the latest Wi-Fi gear. The only thing you need to do to well and truly secure your wireless network is use WPA. Period. Nothing else is totally secure. WPA is all you need. Some older hardware does not support WPA - it uses an older and less secure form of encryption called WEP. If that’s all that’s available to you use it, but WPA is better. If your router doesn’t work with WPA, check your manufacturer’s site to see if there’s a firmware upgrade to support WAP.

And if you want to create a good, random WPA key for it, try this. It shouldn't matter if you lose the key. You should be able to just go into your router configuration and insert a new one.

https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm