TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vern Gagne

How did they come up with these gimmicks or characters

The Million Dollar Man gimmick was based on Vince McMahon.

Stone Cold's persona came from Steve Austin watching a HBO interview with a serial killer.

The Million Dollar Man gimmick was based on Vince McMahon.

And at least partially Donald Trump.

Doink was based on the Joker

The Dudley Boys were based on the Hanson Brothers from the movie Slapshot.

The dueling hugs between Steve Austin and Kurt Angle for Vince was based on DDP's meeting with Vince where he hugged him rather than shake hands.

Guest netslob
The dueling hugs between Steve Austin and Kurt Angle for Vince was based on DDP's meeting with Vince where he hugged him rather than shake hands.

DDP: "FINALLY!!"

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

The Fake Kane was based on the Original Kane.

Guest Overworked

Red Rooster? Which Drug was Vince on to come up with that gimmick for poor Terry Taylor

I've heard that the 'Stone Cold' moniker came from a TV program. I've also heard that it came from one of Austin's previous wives, who said that he should drink his tea before it got 'stone cold'. I'm sure someone knows the real answer.

Guest The Beta Male
Short lived WWF character, Waylon Mercy was based on Max Cady from the movie, Cape Fear.

he was quite interesting... shame Dan Spiveys body was on the way out before he signed the deal :(

I believe the name came from his wife's comment and the persona came from the infamous mob hitman Richard Kuklinski.

but I seem to remember the announcer ssaying he was cold as a stone, when he was still the ringmaster

HHH was based on Hitler.

John Cena was based on that movie Malibu's Most Wanted.

that would be funny except for the fact that Cena debuted his rapper gimmick on the halloween episode of sd in 2002, and that movie came out in 03 I think

Guest NYankees

HHH was based on Hitler.

that would be funny except for the fact that Cena debuted his rapper gimmick on the halloween episode of sd in 2002, and that movie came out in 03 I think

I am sure he was being sarcastic.

Short lived WWF character, Waylon Mercy was based on Max Cady from the movie, Cape Fear.

Which was very cool by the way. "Lives are gonna be, in Waylon Mercy's hands. Ya know what I mean?"

The thing is, everyone talks about how great that gimmick was, but when I was about 12 years old at the time, I really didn't get it at all. He just seemed like this weird guy who was an OK brawler, but that's about it.

The Ultimate Warrior was based on some "faggot indian".

HHH was based on Hitler.

I am sure he was being sarcastic.

I know, so was I

Is it the one CM Punk told about chillin' with the old timers while they were plastered an they were tellin' stories and shit, but Race couldn't remember Warrior's name, Punk named like 3 dudes, and Race said no to all of them, then he discribed him better, and said he was a "Faggot Indian" and Punk just goes, " Oh, you mean the Ultimate Warrior".

Then Race is all, "Yeah! That's the motherfucker."....

And shit?

Which was very cool by the way. "Lives are gonna be, in Waylon Mercy's hands. Ya know what I mean?"

As a mark in 1995 I didn't get this gimmick either but looking back on it this was pretty cool. I can act out that phrase almost exactly like Spivey did so at least it was memorable. I remember being REALLY puzzled even as a mark when Savio Vega beat him @ IYH III but it became more apparent when I read in WWF Magazine that Spivey was retiring due to back problems. This is one gimmick I wouldn't mind being recycled if someone could pull it off.