TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

Ask Al: Part Two!

Liriano has a pretty good shot to win the AL Cy Young this year. Has there ever been an instance in which the winner of the Cy Young (or, for that matter, the MVP), didn't make the All-Star team in the year he won it?

More often than you think. Kirk Gibson won the MVP in 1988 and NEVER made an All-Star team.

Guest Brian

Didn't Frank Thomas not make the All-Star team neither year he won the MVP?

Guest Smues
Didn't Frank Thomas not make the All-Star team neither year he won the MVP?

According to baseball-reference.com he made it both years.

Chipper Jones didn't make the team in 99 when he won the MVP.

I just read about this last night. Don Newcombe, Robin Yount, Terry Pendelton and Keith Hernandez are some other eventual MVP's that got snubbed.

Let's play Al Keiper's Book Club; what are some of the baseball books that you recommend to people who scream "YEAH YOU KNOW ME!" when they hear OBP brought up. I'm in the middle of re-reading Baseball Between the Lies by Bob Carroll right now. Solid book.

I just read about this last night. Don Newcombe, Robin Yount, Terry Pendelton and Keith Hernandez are some other eventual MVP's that got snubbed.

Let's play Al Keiper's Book Club; what are some of the baseball books that you recommend to people who scream "YEAH YOU KNOW ME!" when they hear OBP brought up. I'm in the middle of re-reading Baseball Between the Lies by Bob Carroll right now. Solid book.

I'm guessing you mean non-stat books. Glory of Their Times is an excellent read. Buck O'Neil's I Was Right On Time is a fun, easy read as well.

Bill Simmons' Now I Can Die in Peace is also a good read.

What do you think is the big reason the Braves have struggled? Is it the loss of Furcal?

I'm about half-way through Seth Mnookin's Feeding the Monster, an all-access look at the front office of the Boston Red Sox from 2001-2005. Interesting stuff so far, but written more for novices than the advanced statheads. Really provides a lot of information as to why front offices to do things that seem to go against their nature.

Bill Simmons' Now I Can Die in Peace is also a good read.

What do you think is the big reason the Braves have struggled? Is it the loss of Furcal?

The pitching staff finally collapsed. Kyle Davies got hurt, Jorge Sosa came back to earth, and nothing went right except John Smoltz.

Should Barry Bonds not get re-signed by the Giants, where do you think he will go, should he return? I know he has expressed interest in returning next season, so would a small market team be interested in Barry Bonds to boost their attendence?

(I don't want to hear Anti-Barry talk)

Should Barry Bonds not get re-signed by the Giants, where do you think he will go, should he return? I know he has expressed interest in returning next season, so would a small market team be interested in Barry Bonds to boost their attendence?

(I don't want to hear Anti-Barry talk)

Signing Bonds would bring along a lot of extra baggage. He would have to go where the DH is. Teams have made this type of move dozens of times in the past, but usually it doesn't have the desired effect on attendance. I think the Oakland A's might be interested, but I'm guessing Bonds gets an offer around a fifth of his current salary, and retires.

I finally got around to reading Moneyball; it was fantastic. As a bonus, now I can fully appreciate all the Joe Morgan jokes on Fire Joe Morgan.

Al, what baseball writers/columnists do you consider to be must-read right now?

Guest Princess Leena

I'd think signing Bonds would be a great move for an AL team.

Just with the 1+ walks he gets per game, he's productive. And he's still hitting HR's at a respectable pace. Like 1 per 15 AB's.

I finally got around to reading Moneyball; it was fantastic. As a bonus, now I can fully appreciate all the Joe Morgan jokes on Fire Joe Morgan.

Al, what baseball writers/columnists do you consider to be must-read right now?

I don't have a specific writer I read religiously. I usually check out baseballthinkfactory.org. If there's an important column, it's linked there.

Guest Princess Leena

Alan, what was the most horrific injury in baseball history?

Are we going to see more older pitchers that are without a team (say Schilling after next year and Johnson whenever his contract runs out) take a page from Roger Clemens' book and sign with teams a few months in to ease the workload and extend their careers by a few years?

Alan, what was the most horrific injury in baseball history?

Ray Chapman getting killed by a pitched ball. About a dozen more have died in the minors, but none in the last 50 years.

Are we going to see more older pitchers that are without a team (say Schilling after next year and Johnson whenever his contract runs out) take a page from Roger Clemens' book and sign with teams a few months in to ease the workload and extend their careers by a few years?

I hope not. Generally great players want to play.

Guest Princess Leena
Ray Chapman getting killed by a pitched ball. About a dozen more have died in the minors, but none in the last 50 years.

Awesome.

What about any recent injuries that could possibly be on video.

Sorry for the stupid questions. :P

1: Based off of Pujols' start this season, if he can remain relatively healthy (150+ games) during a course of a season as he reaches his prime, does he have a chance at breaking Bonds' single season HR record?

2: Short of more teams putting hills in center field, will we ever see a change in the basic dynamics of the field again? (i.e. raising/lowering the mound)

3: I've been compared in my sports PBP to Mike Tirico. Is that is a good thing or a bad thing, and if it's a good thing, how many sexual harassment cases can I get away with?

4: What's higher right now: Sidney Ponson's ERA, BAC, or cholesterol?

Does Armando Benitez have ANY value at this point? And can the Giants sucke... uh, convince someone to take him off their hands?

Of course he has value. The Giants can trade him, but they've never shown any tendancy to rebuild.

Awesome.

The only one that comes to mind is Buck Martinez making a double play on a broken leg in 1985. Recently, Aaron Rowand's was pretty gruesome.

1: Based off of Pujols' start this season, if he can remain relatively healthy (150+ games) during a course of a season as he reaches his prime, does he have a chance at breaking Bonds' single season HR record?

2: Short of more teams putting hills in center field, will we ever see a change in the basic dynamics of the field again? (i.e. raising/lowering the mound)

3: I've been compared in my sports PBP to Mike Tirico. Is that is a good thing or a bad thing, and if it's a good thing, how many sexual harassment cases can I get away with?

4: What's higher right now: Sidney Ponson's ERA, BAC, or cholesterol?

1. He has a chance, but he's still a career's worth of home runs away.

2. I don't think we'll see it under Selig.

3. I've never heard Mike Tirico announce.

4. His cholesterol, because it doesn't have decimals.

Awesome.

The only one that comes to mind is Buck Martinez making a double play on a broken leg in 1985. Recently, Aaron Rowand's was pretty gruesome.

Bryce Florie getting a comebacker right below the eye against the Yankees in -- I want to say 1999 -- (EDIT: It was September 8, 2000) left him a bloody mess on the mound.

EDIT II: Found a pic

Brian Buchanan the former Twin, and Padre in the minors.

Jason Kendall with Pittsburgh

Tony Saunders arm snapping.

AL. Who are some of the players who where on a fast track to Cooperstown, but injuries prevented that from happening?

Didn't it happen to Saunders TWICE? The second time coming during his comeback attempt with the Rays I think it was?

Geoff Jenkins breaking his leg sliding into 3rd a few years back was pretty nasty

Hideki Matsui breaking his wrist this season was kinda nasty...and cool....if only because he still picked up the ball and threw it back to the infield

And the Damon/? (I want to say Damon Hollins?) collision a few years back when Damon got the nasty concussion that led to him growing his beard out was pretty F'n awesome