TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Corey_Lazarus

You know something?

TNA has some fucking good DVDs out there. The first ones released back in '03 showed a ton of promise (the ORIGINAL, and IMO superior, Best of the X-Division, as well as the Best Title Matches that chronicled highlighted World and Tag title bouts from June '02 until mid '03, and the true Bloodiest Brawls volume 1), and the ones now? They're delivering.

I got PHENOMENAL: The Best of AJ Styles for X-Mas when it came out (a year and a half ago, IIRC), and that was the only DVD of wrestling I watched for a while. I bought the Best of the Bloodiest Brawls Vol. 1 DVD (the one out now with Sabu on the cover) a couple of weeks ago, and it's downright amazing. I just picked up UNSTOPPABLE: The Best of Samoa Joe last night, and I'm hoping it's nearly as good as the other two (which it will be, since Joe's awesome).

Good work on the DVDs, TNA. Keep 'em coming.

I thought some tna dvds have clipped matches?

Its hard to buy TNA dvds because I can watch all the matches on youtube(which TNA supports)

I like the current direction of Impact with the cliff hanger ending is alot better than the 10 minute interview from the only heel in the company. I find it a miracle that Kevin Nash is getting Alex Shelley over with the whole papparazzi angle. And to think the camera gimmick started out as a fancam ringrat which was pointless then turning it into the papparazzi stalker during the Abyss/Christian and Sting angles to the tabloid inside scoop reporter with the Nash/Sabin storyline. The only thing missing from the Nash X Division training sessions would be their own masked nWo ref....hey Slick Johnson you might be usefull afterall!

The sad thing about the nash angle is It's getting shellly over more than the person it's supposed to be getting over, Chris Sabin. This just proves that Sabin is just bland as a mofo. I'm hoping at BFG Nash turns on shelly. Then Nash beats Senshi for the x divison title. Shelley vs Nash for the x dvision title happens and it turns into the Finger Poke of doom 2006. I know it killed WCW but think about it, it would be awesome and piss off the TNAbots. What else is better than that?

TNA dvd's do rule though.

The Fignerpoke of Doom is actually a clever angle to generate heat...it's just never something that should be associated with the top belt. So in the case of the X-Division title, it wouldn't be too bad an idea, especially if it furthers a feud (say, turn Nash/Sabin into Shelley/Sabin).

And Sabin IS bland...as a face. As a heel, though, he's got an RVD vibe to him in the sense that he's entertaining in the ring (not amazing, not awful, and you know you'll always get a fun and watchable match out of him) and passable on the mic due to his gimmick (Sabin as a heel in '03 TNA was laid-back and cocky, because he usually won, which he needs to be again since that's what got him over). If TNA turned Sabin into a full-on arrogant prick heel again, he'd get over like gangbusters...to steal a lame catchphrase.

And yeah. Their DVDs are good. I can't tell if the Bloodiest Brawls matches are clipped, but most of 'em are under 20 minutes. Some nice hardcore shit, too. Never expected a nationally televised show to get away with some of that stuff...but then again, WWE gets away with Edge going head-first into a flaming table, and being choked with barbed wire, so hey.

Is the Samoe Joe DVD any good? I picked it up because I love Joe's TNA matches (haven't seen enough of his RoH work, but the matches I've seen from him in RoH were all first-year stuff and fun to watch, ESPECIALLY the Joe/Ki match or two I have on tape), and I really need to see more of 'em.

The sad thing about the nash angle is It's getting shellly over more than the person it's supposed to be getting over, Chris Sabin. This just proves that Sabin is just bland as a mofo. I'm hoping at BFG Nash turns on shelly. Then Nash beats Senshi for the x divison title. Shelley vs Nash for the x dvision title happens and it turns into the Finger Poke of doom 2006. I know it killed WCW but think about it, it would be awesome and piss off the TNAbots. What else is better than that?

TNA dvd's do rule though.

Dunno why TNA would want to piss off their fans.

Anyway, part of the reason Sabin is bland is because he has absolutely little to no promo time. He didn't even have a promo to set up his tag match against Nash and his last one was a yelling match with Jerry Lynn.

Sabin's Heel run i thought was good. He has good chemistry with Kazarian and Bentley. I don't want TNA to piss off all their fans, just the orlando ones. They are douchebags. Most of them anyways.

I like the TNA dvds, except for the fact they clip matches.

As for the Ansh/Sabin angle, ive been a fan of sabins for a long time and i think he is worthy of another x title reign. But as someone stated, this angle is getting shelly more over than anyone else.

Which matches are clipped on which DVDs? Just so I know to avoid 'em.

I still remember the first X-Division DVD being hyped as having "the first Ultimate X match IN ITS ENTIRETY"...and the whole thing was 5 minutes of bad clipjobs.

Shelly > Sabin, so it doesn't really matter.

Sabin won 3 Ultimate X matches! HAIL SABIN! But you know what would be funny if Sabin, Shelley, Nash, Jerry Lynn were in an Ultimate X match and Nash won simply by standing on his tippy toes to grab the big X! Hey if Sabin was on Impact every week in segments dedicated to his workout routines and cheap comedy bits he would be over too. What killed his heat was the 80's Flock of Seagulls dye job/hair cut months ago and going nowhere with the I-copy-my-favorite-AJPW-star gimmick....but then again maybe we can blame that on Aries and Strong.

What killed Sabin's heat was getting pushed to the backburner entirely after being the focal point of the X-Division while Christopher Daniels was with Elix Skipper, and AJ Styles chased the NWA World Heavyweight title. He's not as talented as the "big 3" of the X-Division in the last year (Styles, Daniels, and Joe), but he's still talented enough where he could be pushed believably alongside them.

Guest Macaroni
i like Sabin beating Senshi for the title, then losing it to Shelley with the fingerpoke. then Nash, Sabin, Shelley, and Devine destroy the entire roster for the next year.

I actually really like this. Have Sabin's reasoning be that he was tired of being thrown on the back burner after consistently putting on good matches, so he's joining Anti-X to make TNA's life miserable.

i like Sabin beating Senshi for the title, then losing it to Shelley with the fingerpoke. then Nash, Sabin, Shelley, and Devine destroy the entire roster for the next year.

I actually really like this. Have Sabin's reasoning be that he was tired of being thrown on the back burner after consistently putting on good matches, so he's joining Anti-X to make TNA's life miserable.

And that leads to...

"Ladies and gentlemen, your winner of the match, and NEW X-Divison Champion of the world...SHARK BOY!"

...OK, maybe not.

Guest Chris Xtreme

Having Sabin turn heel wouldn't be a bad idea. You could have him fail to take out Nash and start to put himself down. Lethal would step in and take Nash out. Sabin would vow to have his back afterwards and really put him over. Lethal would win the X title from Senshi. Sabin would turn on Lethal out of jealousy. He would blame Lynn for not mentoring right. He would accuse Lethal of stealing his heat. Sabin would than act really cocky and selfish. Sabin would fued with Lynn while Lethal was made to look strong. Eventually Sabin and Lethal would face off. With Sabin becoming the heel champion. Of course the only problem with this, is that this leaves Alex Shelly out of the loop. When he should probably become the top heel int he X Divison. But I suppose two or three heels with personality could help things.

You need a healthy balance of faces and heels in the divison. Having one heel and LOADS of faces is dull.

I don't think there are any grand plans here for Sabin. If he's lost all heat in this Nash feud it could be because he's been booked like a jobber in it. Nash and Shelley have been so obviously more entertaining to the point where Sabin is an afterthought. Kinda like Nash will beat him down and then move on and do the same angle with another guy.

*Praise for TNA DVDs*

Corey, weren't you the dude that took over the TNA reviews from Dames when he quit?

If so, I just want to say that back then I didn't have access to any NWA shows other then DLing an a match here and there, and you and Dame's review were what got me interested in the company. So, thanks for that.

Yeah. I got railed. Dames did the first year in all of its awesomeness, and I...got the Dirty Dutch era. Some of the worst wrestling shows I've ever seen. There'd be one MEDIOCRE match per show if you were lucky. Even those that loved TNA more than anybody here did over at TNS (Total Non Stop forums, a TNA fansite) hated that era.

Once I stopped writing them, I pretty much stopped watching them, so I don't recall what I missed.

Care to recap quickly, Corey?

I'm glad I got to see the best X Division matches in early TNA at least...

Dames

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

What sucks about TNA's DVDs, is that it takes them so long to put their PPVs out on DVD, compared to WWE. It takes WWE 1 month, it takes TNA 3 months. For example:

SummerSlam - August/20th/2006: WWE releases it on DVD, September 26th.

Hard Justice - August/13th/2006: TNA won't release it until late November.

TNA should release their PPV DVDs a lot faster, like WWE.