TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

OAO ECW TV Week 8 Thread - August/1st/2006.

The Change the Channel chant originated in the lower section.

Choken One can go on and on about slow burning (seriously, shut up) but I think Sandman and Dreamer jobbing really hurt the crowd.

Guest The Great Muta

Choken One can go on and on about slow burning (seriously, shut up) but I think Sandman and Dreamer jobbing really hurt the crowd.

The Sandman and Dreamer will always be put in important matches to make the match more credible but will always job to make the other guys look good. At least that is what it seems like Vince is doing right now.

The Sandman and Dreamer will always be put in important matches to make the match more credible but will always job to make the other guys look good. At least that is what it seems like Vince is doing right now.

No, the reason Dreamer and Sandman lost last night was so the feud continue. To blow the feud off now, would have been way to soon. It has nothing to do with Vince just randomly jobbing the both of them out.

Guest netslob

No, the reason Dreamer and Sandman lost last night was so the feud continue. To blow the feud off now, would have been way to soon. It has nothing to do with Vince just randomly jobbing the both of them out.

don't be so sure. i mean, i agree with you, but this is Vince McMahon we're talking about.

I love YouTube. Being in Canada I couldn't watch Punk's debut.

Punk's Debut Match

Dude,just go to any wrestling torrent web site and download the show. I live in Canada, and I had the show downloaded about 2 hours after it went off the air.

May be kind of late to just throw down general thoughts but I will anyway...

This show, for the first time since this experiment, SEEMED ECW to me and not just WWE produced by-product of something they want it to be. It was more than just being at Hammerstein, although that most definately was a strong proponent of the feel of the show. But the show was booked in alot of ways seemingly to cater to those old ECW fans and especially the ones who at least saw the ONS shows. Seemed just as historic and poinient of a show, if not more in some ways, than the past two ONS shows to be honest. I was shocked to see some old ECW refs back in there as well. Lots of good stuff was here, and the only bad stuff was shit on so bad by the crowd that it really made a point hard to avoid, even by McMahon standards.

The opening stuff all seemed like your typical ECW brawl, which to be honest has been missing from the shows anyway. Marked out for the barbed wire spots as I thought it was going to just be a tease, but it played into the Heyman-Dreamer story fantastic and finally I WANT to see this feud keep going with a possible Sandman/Dreamer v. Bashams feud?

The CM Punk debut was just a home run. I honestly have always enjoyed him a bit but last night took it to a whole new level. Hadnt seen much of anything from him from the past year or so, and this was the epitome of a first good impression with the TV debut here. I dont think I've seen a debut match win be so impressive to be honest. From the crowd reaction to the timing of everything, and more than anything the uniqueness of the style he was allowed to work here will go a long way hopefully to establishing ECW as not just a WWE lite thing. If other guys work like Punk did, this WILL be at least in that respect a true alternative to the WWE product.

Angle squash was what it was, neither bad nor real good but just needed to be there.

The main event was just surreal, seeing Batista totally melt into absolute shit in front of the crowd. Show kept playing it off ok but, wow, they both just put on a completely horrifying match that deserved every second of those crazy chants. I would have loved to be in the back as an old ECW alumni, seeing this shit and then watching Vince's reaction. It's just so telling in the big scheme of things.....even after it appeared WWE killed off the old ECW crowd, they are still very much alive and passionate about the state of things. What the hell were they thinking the crowd would do with a match like this? The very least they could have tried was using some buttons and whistles like Flair/Show, another match I completely thought the crowd was going to shit on but it went the complete opposite. But Van Dam is back next week anyway and they can now move forward of stopping these Show v. random WWE guy for main event title matches and move more towards Sabu and Van Dam challenging Show. I do hope, though, that the company takes notice and if they are going to keep Show on the brand long term, they need to make him more than this fucking dumb stump of nothing that he is now into some interesting character, especially since he's champ.

don't be so sure. i mean, i agree with you, but this is Vince McMahon we're talking about.

Your right, it is Vince Mcmahon but I do think last night was just a good example of good booking. That doesn't mean that could change down the road, but the match last night with Dreamer and Sandman was just good booking.

And BTW, I love CM Punk. His match was fun. I want to see him in longer stuff. I don't know what it is about him. He's not that hot, but I can't take my eyes off him.

You're not an indy valet by any chance?

The crowd never gave London and Kendrick a chance but their work was great.

That pretty much says everything about the so called 'wrestling fans' that were at the show. I'm sure it wasn't 100%, probably not even 50%, but these ECW marks who think THEY are the show and not the wrestling, that's what kills me.

London and Kendrick are as much ROH wrestlers and indy wet dreams as CM Punk. What's the big difference and why one over the other? And don't claim it's because they're 'WWE guys', because Kurt Angle has been eons more anti-ECW in his life than either and he's the greatest thing since sliced bread because he wears an ECW t-shirt now. By all reports, London and Kendrick had a good match. And they 'never got a chance'. So, the ECW marks (trying not to use 'mutants' here, despite the strong urge to) went with the full intention of NOT enjoying parts of the show? And to shit on the efforts of two people trying to do their jobs? I don't get it. If you/these ECW marks are such great, all-knowing professional wrestling fans, how come Justin Credible and Tommy Dreamer are given better receptions than far superior workers like London and Kendrick?

Oh, and for the record, I don't enjoy DX and I'm not a 'super' smartmark. I just don't swallow the ECW Kool-Aid, with Heyman or without, like some people apparantly do.

And BTW, I love CM Punk. His match was fun. I want to see him in longer stuff. I don't know what it is about him. He's not that hot, but I can't take my eyes off him.

You're not an indy valet by any chance?

The crowd never gave London and Kendrick a chance but their work was great.

That pretty much says everything about the so called 'wrestling fans' that were at the show. I'm sure it wasn't 100%, probably not even 50%, but these ECW marks who think THEY are the show and not the wrestling, that's what kills me.

London and Kendrick are as much ROH wrestlers and indy wet dreams as CM Punk. What's the big difference and why one over the other? And don't claim it's because they're 'WWE guys', because Kurt Angle has been eons more anti-ECW in his life than either and he's the greatest thing since sliced bread because he wears an ECW t-shirt now. By all reports, London and Kendrick had a good match. And they 'never got a chance'. So, the ECW marks (trying not to use 'mutants' here, despite the strong urge to) went with the full intention of NOT enjoying parts of the show? And to shit on the efforts of two people trying to do their jobs? I don't get it. If you/these ECW marks are such great, all-knowing professional wrestling fans, how come Justin Credible and Tommy Dreamer are given better receptions than far superior workers like London and Kendrick?

Oh, and for the record, I don't enjoy DX and I'm not a 'super' smartmark. I just don't swallow the ECW Kool-Aid, with Heyman or without, like some people apparantly do.

I'm sure if London and Kendrick were moved full-time to the ECW roster and didn't show up at the Hammerstein Ballroom billed as the 'WWE Tag Team Champions' against New York's own Full Blooded Italians they would have received a better reception based on their ROH history and workrate. From what I've read, the chants were nothing derogatory towards London or Kendrick but more along the lines of 'Smackdown Sucks' and 'F**k Smackdown'. Yeah, the Hammerstein Ballroom audience is a bit more smart to the business and bigger on workrate but they are also marks for anything ECW and go to the show wanting to cheer ECW and boo WWE - even though they know it's really all WWE now. I'll admit that I was shocked to hear that the crowd didn't give London and Kendrick a chance - an old ECW crowd likely would have responded differently - but I think it's safe to say it had more to do with them representing Smackdown and WWE rather than them as wrestlers. I wish they'd put this match (and other dark matches) on ecw.com.

The fans were to chant stuff and have a good time.

London and Kendrick got booed b/c their with WWE. Anyone else would've gotten booed too.

Yeah, if they were brought in without the Smackdown Tag-champ belts, and just worked a match they probably would've been treated normal.

If these two had just now been called up, and were debuting like Punk, they would've been getting a good reaction.

It's the fact that people come to an ECW show, they expect ECW wrestlers, even if it's not the O.G. guys. Punk came out and got over, and the Vampire didn't get shit on, Test and Knox aren't liked because they're wack for the most part, and Test is a WWE reject, but they didn't really get shit on in thier tagmatch.

Why? Because they're there in ECW, not showing up on Raw and Smackdown, then dropping by ECW whenever Vince wants to stick them in there for a week.

ECW, for better or worse, is offering an alternative to the other two WWE shows. The only problem is shit like this week's main event.

And sending over WWE guys to take up time that tons of ECW guys who hardly ever get screentime, and that's shitty because there are alot of talented mofo's in that locker room. Many dudes with well developed characters who know how to get over if given the chance to do it.

The only other thing that I'm gonna bitch about is the extreme rules deal.

I'm hoping it plays into a slow burn story for new vs old ECW, which I'm sure it will. That's great, that's awesome.

But to not have EVERY ECW world title match be ECW Rules is retarded.

The ECW fans boo, or should I say hate to the extreme, the heels well in this case anybody who represents the WWE brand and cheer, or should I say Markout like lil girls, to anybody remotely representing ECW. Its a passionate fanbase what else do you want?

Guest nokia

Wonder who Big Show wrestles next week ?

Spirit squad maybe?

Rvd is back next week, so we can all hope for him....

Show with the hat is classic.

What's he saying in that? "From the bottom of my heart, don't kiss my ass" ?? Or something else?

I've been very..."accepting" of the concept of Extreme Rules vs. No Extreme Rules matches in ECW, but every ECW World Title Match should be extreme rules. At least that wouldn't annoy me nearly as much.

Dames

Show with the hat is classic.

What's he saying in that? "From the bottom of my heart, don't kiss my ass" ?? Or something else?

"Seriously guys, From the bottom of my heart....you can all kiss my ass."

Batista was lost, he didn't know how to react to something like that.

Cena did so much better in that environment, as did Randy Orton. And Flair, and Taker, and mofuckin' Kane.

They were filming the Tron for a while, and it was still airing the shit, so WWE has it recorded, think they'll play it?

Also, I think I caught Batista saying," I am never fuckin' coming back to this place" when there's an extreme close-up on his face.

And those fans trying to start shit, jumpin the rail? They're lucky they didn't make it past security. Show and Batista would have fucked niggas up.

I've been very..."accepting" of the concept of Extreme Rules vs. No Extreme Rules matches in ECW, but every ECW World Title Match should be extreme rules. At least that wouldn't annoy me nearly as much.

Dames

Whoa, where the hell have you been?

Oh yeah, and I agree on your assesment above.

Dames

That's part of what I was saying a few posts up.

I like the dqs and countouts at times, to build to the overall story of old ECW vs new ECW, but the ECW title should be defended under ECW rules, no fuckin' other way about it.

The problem with ECW Title matches being under extreme rules is that, unless every match ends with a million run-ins to cause a no-contest, then it leaves them no 'out' to avoid having to do a finish. The way it is now, they can get out of beating people they don't want losing.