TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jesse Badass

Are DELL computers any good?

There are better computers out there but Dell's got a good service package for when it breaks down. But if you can find a good deal on them (if you're Canadian check out redflagdeals.ca), it's pretty much worth it.

Guest Princess Leena

If you're going to buy a pre-built computer, I'd suggest going to your local stores. Dell's really aren't worth it, when you add in the shipping. I was looking for one a month ago... was $499, after tax and shipping $605. Which was a crummy price.

Plus, Dell's are noted for being difficult to add parts on to. But, others probably know more about that, than I.

I have a dell. It's not bad..

The major issue, and I assume it's this way with all Dell PC's, is that they make it hard to upgrade. Like, my PC would be perfectly acceptable for gaming if I could get a newer video card. Problem is, the only slot type I have is PCI, which is beyond obsolete. They didn't include an AGP slot, or anything of the sort making upgrading my PC for better preformence impossible. Best I can get is a 256 PCI card, which I don't even know if it's worth the bother.

It blows.

I got a Dell 2.6ghz machine in August of 2004 for $299 and it's still doing fine. It comes with industry standard parts so upgrading is not a problem. If you're looking for a basic machine then Dell is the way to go.

Guest InuYasha

It depends on what you want to do with the PC. Dell's are what we use at work. Avoid getting a Dell Optiplex 270, unless you have a full warranty service agreement. They have faulty motherboards that go all the time.

If you want to get a PC for gaming, then avoid them, unless you're willing to pay a pretty large chunk of change. Either get a Compaq, or get a custom built one. Best Buy sells good PC's, but they're on the expensive side.

The internal construction of my Dell sucks ass. I have a DVD drive and a CD burner, but I have to switch them out because I can't remove the CD player included with the computer without removing the motherboard, which I'm not about to fuck with.

I did get it super cheap though, since it was a display model.

Guest Vitamin X

Dells suck. Learn how to build your own computer, believe me, if you know a damn thing about messing around with electronics at all, it's a lot easier than you think.

I'm slowly evolving my old Dell Dimension (which I'm currently using actually) into a decent machine. I upgraded to the RAM to 2GB, and am currently waiting on a larger hard drive. Soon, I'm keeping the processor, and my current P.O.S. video card and am getting an ASUS motherboard that has PCI-E slots on it, for the very reasons I think Hawk52 stated. I need nicer graphics, but the CPU runs quite well (It's a Pentium 4 w/ HT 3Ghz) and all I need is a SATA interface for my new hard drive.

Since I'm also simulatenously saving up money for a MacBook, a 27" Westinghouse LCD, AND a move across the country, I can't really go much beyond what I'm currently doing with the computer, but afterwards I plan to go to an AMD Athlon X2 dual-core.

I purchased a Dell desktop four years ago and it works just fine. I play games (ok, just WoW) and I used to burn CD's until I migrated to MP3. There is actually nothing wrong with my current system. I just purchased a Dell XPS notebook because I need portability.

I've had my Dell Dimension desktop for three years, and no complaints at all. I did go with a fairly high end one (paid a little over a grand for it, including an LCD monitor), but I wanted to get something that would last me a few years, and so far it has. I haven't done much upgrading to it, other than adding more RAM, which was a cinch.

Certainly if you can build your own, go for it, but if you don't have the time or knowledge, Dell isn't a bad option in my book.

Guest Bammey

Dells hardrive usually fucks up but the good thing about Dell is their technical support will be your slave until you get that computer fixed and going.

The last 3 computers my family has bought have been Dell (my parents last two and myh new laptop). I like Dell. They have good servie, but like people say you can't upgrade them. I would say do some foot work when looking into a Dell and compare with other companies. But like I said I have no complaints and I've had the last 3 computers from them.

Seriously build your own. :) Approx $300 can get you some Motherboard/CPU/Ram combos online as well as the other required parts (no tax and shipping isn't much if any.)

Whenever you buy a ready-made system it is wise to spend the extra cash to try and obtain specs that are a little ahead of their time, because trying to manually upgrade ready-made systems are sometimes a bitch.

I had a dell from march 04-jan this year when I moved. it worked pretty well and I was able to upgrade my ram pretty easy. I dont add on stuff much so it was just fine for us, for general word processing, picture scanning, and general web browsing