TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

OAO Smackdown Thread - August/4th/2006.

Booker/UT didn't seem like that bad a match. God, Khali is worthless in the ring.

Yea, way to ruin a perfectly good match by just walking in and ending it.

Hell logically, if Book didn't really want to go through with the match, he could have just had Sharmell walk in, hit Taker, then leave.

And I doubt Khali can take any kind of bump without seriously risking his health. He really is worthless.

I appreciate the fact that even in the middle of a blood feud, Undertaker has the patience to challenge Khali to a match that's nearly three weeks away, rather than say... next week.

I appreciate the fact that even in the middle of a blood feud, Undertaker has the patience to challenge Khali to a match that's nearly three weeks away, rather than say... next week.

He's a business man at heart. He realizes that PPV appearance = $$$.

Based on tonight do we have Batista-Booker or a triple threat with Kennedy?

Batista-Booker probably looks more likely but they should throw Kennedy in there anyway.

Not too bad of a SD, though not nearly as good as last week. I personally enjoyed the fact that it was all matches, and only one promo. Minus Vito/Brawler and the untrained women, each match was passable at the very least.

And while I would like to see L/K do more, what all can they actually do? There's no one for them to fight. The best you could do is a jobber squash, but you might as welll use that time to build new teams instead. That seems to be the route SD is taking with Stevens/James and Terkay/Burke.

Oh, and I think Lashely's "triumphant return" was one of the funniest things I've seen on SD in a while. Hits the ring, people are surprised, big pop, then BAM... Shillealagh to the gut, then to the injured leg. Brilliant.

With a name like "Elijah Burke" I expect to see the lost Blu brother.

Missed last week's SD so I'm interested in seing what Terkay can do.

Edit: OK, I guess Burke will do. Crowd seems kinda dead, but IIRC, this was on the back end of a supershow, wasn't it? I guess they were a bit burnt out.

I was there, SmackDown was first and it went till about 8:45 or so and then they got ready for Raw. It also pretty much gave it away that Batista wouldn't be winning the ECW title, since he taped a match on Monday that was airing on Friday where he didn't appear with the world title, then he is fighting for it the next day, before said SD match even airs on TV. Not like a switch was going to happen anyway, but it's fun to suspend disbelief.

I am seriously hoping they let KC James do his Memphis heel schtick he did for a little while in OVW. He's one of those guys who isn't especially good but I like him for whatever reason. Why not make Aaron Stevens into Aaron Idol rather than Idol Stevens? That'd keep the Memphis vibe going.

I enjoy SD for the most part despite the depleted roster. And yes, I too would like to see Tatanka make a run at the US title. The guy should have had singles gold in like 1993. I've actually kinda enjoyed his matches with Sylvan thus far, though Grenier is no Rick Martel. Think he'll steal the feathers?

With a name like "Elijah Burke" I expect to see the lost Blu brother.

Missed last week's SD so I'm interested in seing what Terkay can do.

Edit: OK, I guess Burke will do. Crowd seems kinda dead, but IIRC, this was on the back end of a supershow, wasn't it? I guess they were a bit burnt out.

I was there, SmackDown was first and it went till about 8:45 or so and then they got ready for Raw. It also pretty much gave it away that Batista wouldn't be winning the ECW title, since he taped a match on Monday that was airing on Friday where he didn't appear with the world title, then he is fighting for it the next day, before said SD match even airs on TV. Not like a switch was going to happen anyway, but it's fun to suspend disbelief.

I don't know why the crowd seemed so dead then. Looked a helluva lot more enjoyable than this week's RAW.

I know the live crowd would never go for it, but I'd love to see Finley vs. Regal as the headliner of a smackdown PPV. All their matches are great, and need little to no storyline. Probably a bad business decision for WWE, but i'd actually buy that PPV if I knew they'd go at least 15-20 minutes. Also, they should eventually make-up and take the tag belts off London + Kendrick and stay apart of Booker's Royal Court.

Smackdown was good as hell this week. Finlay/Regal is almost always entertaining. Damn if the Little Bastard isn't getting some of the loudest pops every week. Terkay and Burke seem like they are going to make an interesting team. Batista/Kennedy was good, prolly the best match Batista has had in a while. Like someone else pointed out, Layla is the hottest Diva search contestant. I loved Chavo's promo, and thought it was well said. My brother, on the other hand, boo'd him. I didn't finish watching Taker/Booker, but I have it DVR'd so I'll prolly catch it later on. All in all, Smackdown is looking to get very good soon.

Smackdown was really good last night. Regal/Finlay was good as usual. Batista/Kennedy was actually pretty solid(Kennedy really impressed me!). Tatanka/Sylvian was also surprisingly good, Taker/Booker didn't really get enough time, but it was still good. Chavo's promo was great, but the whole segment was slightly undermined by Vicky Guerrero's presence.

Aside from the Vito and divas crap, the whole show was great IMO!

I'm really liking the Batista/Kennedy matches myself. This week's match was definitely the best between them, and played off the last two beautifully. From Batista trying to work a slower, more methodical match, to Kennedy actually wrestling to win rather than survive, I thought it was a good 3rd match. The vertical suplex spot was a nice bit of psych rarely seen in WWE matches.

I could see them having a 4th match next week for the #1 contender's spot, and having it end in a draw to set up a 3-way for Summer Slam. Either way, SD needs to do something fast, because there's only two shows left, and they only have one match. I think the final SD card will be:

Booker vs. Batista vs. Kennedy (World title)

Taker vs. Khali (Last man Standing)

Finlay vs. Lashley vs. Regal (US title)

L/K vs. One of the new teams (Tag titles)

Did anyone else think that KC James (the blonde guy in Michelle McCool's new team) looks a lot like Curt Hennig?

Did anyone else think that KC James (the blonde guy in Michelle McCool's new team) looks a lot like Curt Hennig?

Personally, I got a serious Chase Stevens vibe from him.

Personally, I got a serious Chase Stevens vibe from him.

Ah yeah, I can see that too.

I said that to myself when I first saw him.

Smackdown did a 2.3 rating on the fast nationals last night. With both Philadelphia and Los Angeles preempted and Smackdown getting credit for the ratings in the time slot in those markets, the final number will likely be slightly lower.

-Meltzer

Booker still being King is kinda dumb now, he has the world title which is far more important than being king of the ring, but damn if he isnt enjoying it. Yo ucan tell he is having a blast for the first time since the Booker-Goldust team

Tatanka-Sylvan was again a goo dmatch, but not as long or good as last weeks IMO. Weird to have a rematch when youd think last week was Sylvans redebut and now they have him return the job.

Tatanka actually looks in pretty good shape and doesnt look any older than he did in 1994, save a wrinkle or 2, and he is in much better shape physically than when he did the Eugene Invitaional on rAW last year.

Regal-Finlay was good but short. Lashleys return was indeed pretty funny. JBL and Cole talking about the leprechaun is gold

Gotta love JBL always putting over the APA when talking about tag teams

The Stevens-James team, well at least theres another team for the tag division. Too bad Michelle Mcools poormans rendition of Dean Douglas/Matt Striker (or actually more accurately WOW's The Disciplinarian) isnt very over.

Chavos promo was good (and true, yet could be heelish since it can be inferred as though he is jealous that he couldnt ride his uncles name to the top like Rey), but the involment of Vickie is kinda sad. But I guess Vince is paying her good money to do this so I understand her decision.

Booker-Taker was good as the usual matches between the two who have surprising chemistry in the ring

And they have finally booked the blowoff for tajer-kahli feud it seems. Notice how once again they have made it so Kahli cant be pinned, but if Taker can knock him out for a ten count- isnt that worse than a pin

I still dont understand why Kahli would want to face Taker gaain since he already cleanly beat him at JD

Booker still being King is kinda dumb now, he has the world title which is far more important than being king of the ring, but damn if he isnt enjoying it. Yo ucan tell he is having a blast for the first time since the Booker-Goldust team

Like the post above, thats' the way I see it. For the last few months he's been King, and calling everyone else his loyal subjects, etc. And now, with the World Title, wouldn't that only feed that ego? It would only make him believe even stronger, and he is King, he's top dog, and everyone else are just loyal subjects. Much like said above, a trophy, or a crown. I don't think it's stupid at all.

And I think it's pretty obvious his "King" Persona has gone far past just meaning 'king of the ring'.

Jericho showing up on SmackDown! the week it premiers on CW or whatever the new channel will be, would be great.

If they have a new set, and a new, inovative looking Titan-Tron, the countdown coming out of nowhere while King Booker is giving a speech in the ring would get a massive pop.