TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
vivalaultra

The Night Listener

So, today my girlfriend and I went to the movies, but, instead of seeing the new Will Ferrel movie, I decided that we shold see The Night Listener, the new Robin Williams movie. Seeing the previews for it on TV, I was semi-intrigued, but had little to no idea of what it was actually about. I just wanted to see it because it has a non-coked up Robin Williams in it, and non-coked up Robin Williams is a fine actor, especially when being creepy such as in One Hour Photo, Insomnia, etc.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the movie. The look was totally Hitchcockian, with perspective shots and lightness and darkness and weird camera angles. The story was really neat, too, as I thought it was going to be something completely different than what it was. I won't divulge the plot because I don't know how to do spoiler tags, and I think this movie would work best when one has no idea what's going to happen. I'll just say that if, for whatever reason, the Will Ferrel movie's sold out, go for The Night Listener. It's got Robin Williams in his best performance since One Hour Photo and a new Culkin kid. If your movie doesn't have a Culkin kid or Paul Giamatti, you don't really have much of a movie.