TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Giuseppe Zangara

Albums currently downloading.

New Order - Power, Corruption & Lies

New Order's always been a singles band for me—and they've certainly had a great run of singles, what with "Blue Monday," "Temptation," "Bizarre Love Triangle," "True Faith," etc.—but their full length albums always bored me. Well, it's been a number of years since I bothered to listen to any one of their whole albums, so I thought I'd give what's generally considered one of their best a shot. I don't recall that I've actually heard this one all the way through before, so here goes.

New York Dolls - One Day It Will Please Us to Remember Even This

Okay, so, I was really, really reluctant to check this one out—what nerve does some short-lived though very great band from the 70s have recording a new album some thirty years later when three of the five members from their heyday are no longer among the living?—but there's been a shocking number of positive reviews from generally trustworthy sources (both in the music critic world and people I actually know), that I'm willing to give this a listen. I'm still preparing for the worst, but who knows.

Lemme know what you think of the New York Dolls new one. I heard some positive stuff about it, but, like you said, it's a new CD from a band that hit their peak about 30 years ago and there's the whole thing with most of the original band being dead. It's gotta be better than the new Big Star stuff that came out not too long ago.

Right now I'm downloading the new Tom Petty so I can be familiar with his new stuff should he play it at Austin City Limits.

It's gotta be better than the new Big Star stuff that came out not too long ago.

I don't agree with this, as Alex Chilton was the driving force of that band outside of Chris Bell, who was only there for the first album, anyway. Regardless, In Space sucked and is best to be considered as something that Never Happened.

It's gotta be better than the new Big Star stuff that came out not too long ago.

I don't agree with this, as Alex Chilton was the driving force of that band outside of Chris Bell, who was only there for the first album, anyway. Regardless, In Space sucked and is best to be considered as something that Never Happened.

Yeah, that's what I meant. In Space wasn't actively bad. I mean, I thought it was a decent poppy rock record, and if it had been a new band that had put it out it would've been pretty ok, but it was friggin' Big Star. I hoped for better, but I didn't really expect it, I guess.

Just downloaded the new Band of Horses joint. Dunno who said they were boring, but i'm liking it so far.

I agree. I really, really like that CD. It's like My Morning Jacket before they went reggae mixed with...some other band who I can't put my finger on.

Just downladed Riz Ortolani's soundtrack to Cannibal Holocaust. I always thought that the movie was overrated, but I always dug the score.

Also, I've been downloading a whole lot of rare groove lately.

Just downloaded the new Band of Horses joint. Dunno who said they were boring, but i'm liking it so far.

I'm one of several on here who find it pretty dull, I think. I don't mind it if one of the songs pops up on shuffle, but it just feels really wispy and inconsequential. Not in any vast sense of meaning or greatness or anything, but the music just sounds thin and generally uninteresting. More power to you if you can get into it.

On New Order: Power, Corruption, and Lies is pretty good, but Low-Life is my favorite full album of theirs. Definitely a singles band, but the latter is good all the way through and kicks off with the incomparable "Love Vigilantes."

I just finished downloading Andrew WK's Close Calls with Brick Walls. I am extremely excited.

Soulseek is good if you have a PC, Soulseex if a Mac. People tell me torrents are good too, but I don't know shit. I'll see if I can figure out how to YouSendIt this. You're gonna love it, I guarantee.

I use EMule to download everything.

You can find anything you can ever think of on there.

I think the last album I started a DL on was some 2Pac mixtape.

Guest TheGregWitul

Edwin, if you decide to try using torrents, look into OiNK!

I can hook you up with an invite as the site is easily the best site to download music on the entire internet.

I just picked up the entire discog's for Tortoise and New Order.

Good stuff on the Tortoise, and New Order is hit and miss (I enjoy some of their full length albums, but they are mostly a singles band).

j.

Can you send me a PM hook me up with the site? I'm trying to get some boredoms stuff & the Z-Rock Hawaii album but its fucking impossible to find them anywhere.

Guest TheGregWitul

If you intend to share on the site, I have no problem hooking you up with an invite. PM me your email address.

j.