TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

TWiB 8/7 - 8/13

You know, I used to have an unreasonable hate for Adam Dunn. I have no idea why, but I just never liked him. I'm starting to like him now, I think. He's such a unique player, and so damn goofy, that I just can't help but like him.

I don't think being a DH should hurt Ortiz's chances for winning MVP. He didn't create the DH position, he just happens to occupy that position and occupy it extremely well. On a pure numbers basis, I think Ortiz easily ranks as the forerunner for MVP. The NL MVP race, however, should be interesting. Is it gonna be Pujols, Howard, Beltran, Wright? It could easily be any one of them. If I had a vote, I'd go Berkman, but I'm biased.

I think the NL MVP will end up being Beltran because his numbers will be better than Wright or Reyes, but I'm not sure he's the most valuable Met. If St. Louis ends up with a better record than the Mets then my vote would be for Pujols. Howard and Berkman's teams won't even finish at .500 so they don't deserve consideration. If you can't even win half of your games with an "MVP candidate", how much worse would you have done without them?

Ortiz deserves the MVP and if Jeter ends up with it they should just rename it the AL MVY.

Pujols would get my vote, obviously.

In the AL, I guess I'll go with either Jeter(as much I don't want to) or Mauer. Whoever makes the playoffs would help me decide.

I think the NL MVP will end up being Beltran because his numbers will be better than Wright or Reyes, but I'm not sure he's the most valuable Met. If St. Louis ends up with a better record than the Mets then my vote would be for Pujols. Howard and Berkman's teams won't even finish at .500 so they don't deserve consideration. If you can't even win half of your games with an "MVP candidate", how much worse would you have done without them?

Ortiz deserves the MVP and if Jeter ends up with it they should just rename it the AL MVY.

Pfft. I obviously beg to differ with at least one of those. Clearly the Astros will win the Wildcard, and the Wildcard team will be above .500. As far as the MVP being on a team below .500, I think Ernie Banks would have something to say about that. The MVP, as I understand it, is the player in the league that most helps his team during the season, which is why I say Ortiz gets it in the AL. If you look at Berkman's numbers for example, he's got almost half of the Astros team homeruns and about 2/3 of their team RBI. Even if he doesn't win it, which I'm quite sure he won't, he should at least be in the top 3 or 4 vote getters.

Lack of defense of a DH should be taken into consideration, but should only be a part of the package. Last year, it was close enough between Rodriguez and Ortiz that the defense made a difference. If this year there isn't anyone equal to Ortiz offensively, then the defense probably won't make up the difference.

Locally, the Tigers swept the Indians over the weekend and have split 2 games with the Twins. Really a bummer about Liriano's arm trouble, with seeing him against Detroit a few times now I really hope this is a minor thing and not some long term problem.

Got Bonderman vs Santana as a matchup tonight. Hope for a good show.

Much worse. There's a difference between 80-82 and 60-102. Moreover, there are ways to clearly evaluate players between good teams and bad teams. Now, I supported Alex Rodriguez in 2003, but I believe it takes an exceptional season for a player on a non-contender to deserve MVP status. But a player should not be automatically disqualified.

Because of all the Yankees that win the award? In the last forty years we've seen Thurman Munson (1976), Don Mattingly (1985) and Alex Rodriguez (2005). That's IT. There is no pro-Yankee bias in the MVP balloting.

Neither Howard nor Berkman are putting up numbers that warrant MVP consideration on a losing team. Considering 84 wins is likely to be enough to get the WC, if they can't lead their teams to that many wins they shouldn't even be in the discussion. If they put up a season of Pujols pre-injury numbers for 162 games that's one thing, but they won't do any better than Andruw Jones last year and that's not going to warrant them finishing higher than Beltran and Pujols who each missed a couple of weeks and still have equally gaudy stats on winning teams.

The point is if Ortiz loses to another Yankee because of the defense argument, then why even bother allowing people to vote for DHs. Jeter's numbers aren't even impressive, how or why people think he deserves the MVP is beyond me. Oh wait, I forgot about the "intangibles". My bad.

The point is if Ortiz loses to another Yankee because of the defense argument, than why bother allowing people to vote for DHs. Jeter's numbers aren't even impressive, how or why people think he deserves the MVP is beyond me. Oh wait, I forgot about the "intangibles". My bad.

I'll be able to respond in greater detail later. Jeter's problem is that table setters are always underrated in relation to RBI men. I bash Jeter often, but the fact is that he's fifth in the league in OBP. He plays a key defensive position, and he's 24 for 27 in stolen base attempts. He at least belongs in the discussion.

As an aside, ESPN.com has a poll asking about Ortiz's HOF chances. 68% or so responded that they think he will eventually make the Hall. I hope fans are as kind when Edgar Martinez becomes eligible.

The point is if Ortiz loses to another Yankee because of the defense argument, then why even bother allowing people to vote for DHs. Jeter's numbers aren't even impressive, how or why people think he deserves the MVP is beyond me. Oh wait, I forgot about the "intangibles". My bad.

Jeter is ahead of Ortiz in VORP, has a superior OBP and batting average and has been ruthlessly efficient in stealing bases. He's playing adequate defense at the the rough end of the defensive spectrum. Jeter is having the best season of his entire career. I still have Ortiz ahead of him on my ballot, but he's 100% in the discussion at this point.

I agree Jeter deserves to be in discussion. He just doesn't deserve to WIN the MVP. Especially not when Ortiz is on pace to have a better year this year than last and the guy seemingly wins a game by himself for the Sox every week.

Thinking about it, I might have overcompensated for my dislike of Jeter. He's top 5 at least, but there are definatley some guys I would put ahead of him. Also, he loses points for smelling of chilled grapefruit and clean oakmoss. What the hell.

It's a good thing Gustavo Chacin will never have Cy Young caliber numbers if having a girly fragrance named after you precludes your ability. Actually, I think 'Chacin' doesn't smell half-bad. But, then again, my sense of smell has been dulled by years of smoking.

Guest Princess Leena

My list is currently: 1) Mauer, 2) Jeter, 3) Ortiz.

Mauer won't win for obvious reasons. It's Ortiz' to win unless he isn't "clutch" again for a while.

How many players are on the Reds roster?

They just traded for Todd Hollandsworth.

My list is currently: 1) Mauer, 2) Jeter, 3) Ortiz.

Mauer won't win for obvious reasons. It's Ortiz' to win unless he isn't "clutch" again for a while.

That's interesting. Leena puts Mauer first, and Bored in his MVP update puts Mauer 2nd. He barely gets any support locally. Most up here think Morneau is more deserving.

1)Mauer 2)Hafner 3)Jeter

Guest Princess Leena

Probably just because Morneau has the beloved HR and RBI numbers.

I forgot Hafner. I'd have to put him behind Ortiz, despite the great OBP. I think Giambi deserves some recognition as well.

From MLB's story regarding the Hollandsworth trade...

With seven career pinch-hit home runs that has him tied for eighth place among active players, Hollandsworth will likely serve as a lefty bat off the Cincinnati bench.

"LAST SEASON, I led this team in ninth-inning doubles in the month of August!"

Guest StylesMark

If Giambi's BA was a little better, I'd consider him too.

Jeter is having a career year. Ortiz has been great as well, and if he continues at the pace he's at, he'll probably win MVP.

It'll be interesting to say the least.

Grand slam Jim Edmonds, wooo. Although, from what I'm hearing on the Cardinals broadcast, the Cards aren't planning on picking up his option. Uh, what the hell? Do we suddenly have an awesome center field prospect? Who are we going to replace him with? He's declining, but he's still a lot better than anything we could put in there.

Edit: Okay, so I think I sort of misheard them. Apparenty, they just haven't told Edmonds whether or not they are picking it up, and he's not particularly happy about it.

Jeter is having a great season, but it is not a "career year" like he's never done this before. Am I the only one that remembers 1999?

.349 ba

.438 obp

.552 slg!!!

134 runs

102 RBI

24 hr

37 doubles

9 triples

18 SB

Shawn Chacon blows. In 1 2/3 innings, he's given up three homeruns-one to Biggio, one to Aubrey Huff, and one to my boy Roy Oswalt. Roy's went the furthest. It was great. He even got a curtain call. The 'Stros are up 5-0. I think our yearly roll is nigh.

Jeter is having a great season, but it is not a "career year" like he's never done this before. Am I the only one that remembers 1999?

.349 ba

.438 obp

.552 slg!!!

134 runs

102 RBI

24 hr

37 doubles

9 triples

18 SB

That's why I'm scratching my head about these talking heads wanting to give him the trophy this year. Jeter '99 slays Jeter '06, and Jeter' 99 got nowhere near the MVP that year as he finished 6th.

Guest Princess Leena

'99 had some incredible years with Pudge and Ramirez, though. There's no real runaway this year. But, Jeter should have been higher than 6th.

Alright jwest it's on, all tied up 6-6 with three innings left. Nice to see Reds bats weren't asleep tonight.

He finished 3rd in MVP Voting in 1998, and didn't have as good a season as this year. He should be considered. It'd be stupid not to consider him.

Haha, Todd Coffey's full on sprint to the mound from the bullpen is quite an amusing sight.

Also, Eckstein~! puts the Cards ahead.