TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Downhome

Dead Rising (Xbox 360): The Thread

Anyone else here looking forward to this one? I haven't looked forward to a game this much in years and years. I downloaded the demo on Live a few nights ago and I just can't get enough of it. It isn't perfect, and it might get repetitive after a while (based on the demo that is, there's far more to the game than what we see in the demo), but who the fuck cares? It's a bunch of zombies in a mall! Here are a few of the reviews so far:

IGN - 8.3

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/723/723910p1.html

Closing Comments

Though Dead Rising may seem like a simple, mindless game when you first pick it up, it eventually reveals itself as a deeper experience. Tons of extras are packed into Willamette's shops, there are magazine power-ups and special drink mixes to be brewed, lots of clothing combinations, countless pictures to be taken and plenty of NPCs to be saved. The game provides an incentive for every aspect, making each worth pursuing. It's a game that somehow remains cohesive despite having so many seemingly unrelated aspects. The save system means you're going to be playing through the 72 Hour and Overtime modes multiple times, but at least along the way you'll level up, get the best ending, nab more achievements, and get better scores on the Xbox Live leaderboards. With a better save system, more intelligent NPCs, a more forgiving story progression, and tighter controls, Dead Rising could have been even more fun than it already is. Even despite those issues, after several times through it's impossible to deny the appeal inherent in slaughtering Willamette's zombified shoppers. Now if only there was a cooperative mode. We suppose we'll have to wait for the sequel, if Capcom decides to make one. As it stands, Dead Rising is one of the more unique and entertaining titles on the Xbox 360.

GameBrink - 80%

http://www.gamebrink.com/xbox-360/1697-Dea...ng-reviews.html

Once the initial joy of destruction has subsided youll want to get into the actual core of the game which takes place over 72 hours within a mall. Each hour is about 5 minutes real time and each quest known as a case requires that you be somewhere in the mall at exactly the right in-game time. While this doesnt sound to limiting it does get quite annoying when all you want to do is search around for a new object to throw or swing at the sea of undead surrounding you.

Pros

Huge environment with tons of items

Combat is a blast

Storytelling and voice acting are great

Cons

Save sytem

RPG leveling system

Case mission system

1UP - 84%

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3152674

The end result is a relentlessly inventive game worth the price of entry. With more than enough first-person shooters, racing games, and other cookie-cutter filler swamping the 360, it's encouraging to see such an original title land on the system. The experience is flawed -- some might say hampered -- by the save system and curiously designed game structure. But whether you 'get it' or not, Dead Rising nevertheless provides a wealth of secrets and mysteries for both eager gamers and the adventuresome. With each repeated play through a stage, Frank becomes stronger, better able to uncover the mysteries behind this allegorical horror adventure (we'll let you discover what really makes zombies zombies), and the experience becomes richer for it. While there's plenty of room for polish and finesse in future iterations, no hardcore gamer should miss the wholly unique experience provided in Dead Rising's debut.

Team Xbox - 87%

http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1203/Dead-Rising/p1/

Dead Rising may not be a game for everyone, but it for those that have enjoyed past Capcom games and zombie games of the past will definitely want to check this out as it’s completely dissimilar from anything you’ve seen before. The astounding level of variety that is packed into the game is wonderful to see. While side missions can be tedious at times, there’s nothing that’s truly forcing you to complete them so feel free to steer clear if you like. The story is engaging and semi-comical at times, it definitely heads in a different direction than you’re expecting at the beginning. In short, this is the game that you should own in the interim between now and the holiday season’s onslaught of gaming bliss.

I can't wait to run around the mall like Mega Man!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/the...0_screen027.jpg

92832620060710screen027mp6.jpg

I'm impressed with the reviews; I was afraid this was going to be the State of Emergency "Look how many people we can have on screen at once!" game for the Xbox 360, but I guess I was wrong.

The demo is fun.

You can see where it's going to get repetitive...but then...there are actual storyline things to do in the actual game other than see how much fun it is to kill the zombies.

I'll be buying it...

IT's frickin ZOMBIES in the MALL for chrissakes!

And me with a busted 360. Can anyone loan me $129? Gates has to make the motgage payment, so they need to charge an arm and a leg to repair their shitty work in the first place.

For all the bitching about Sony, at least the my PS2 lasted almost 5 years before crapping out.

And me with a busted 360. Can anyone loan me $129? Gates has to make the motgage payment, so they need to charge an arm and a leg to repair their shitty work in the first place.

For all the bitching about Sony, at least the my PS2 lasted almost 5 years before crapping out.

I guess I have been lucky.

Never had an issue with my NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, Xbox or Xbox360.

Guest guerillagenius

I guess I have been lucky.

Never had an issue with my NES, SNES, Genesis, PS1, PS2, Dreamcast, Xbox or Xbox360.

JINX!

And yeah the demo is great my broke ass will be trading in some stuff for this one.

Your one of the lucky ones....anyways.

I've been playing the demo a lot, I like looking for new things to kill the zombies with, and I'm really enjoying it. I can't tell if there's mission to do in the demo or if your just suppose to run around and kill everything in the demo though. I have been just running around and killing everything. I will diffently be buying this game tomorrow or Weds. whenever it comes out.

One thing I did notice while playing the demo is that if you put on Custom Soundtracks, the movies become muted instead of the sound just going over the soundtrack.

I'm gonna rent this and burn a copy to play on my boy's 360.

I flipped out over the commercial.

"You can use anything as a weapon."

FUCK YEAH!

Burn a 360 game? It isn't that easy.

Guest guerillagenius

If anyone hasnt found the samurai sword, go to the upper level to the coffee shop. Jump over the railing nearest the kitchen part and you will land on a canopy thingy that has the sword on it. It's a very fast weapon and it cuts zombies in half in one swipe.

Basically.

One draw back: saving. You can only save in the Security room which is so far away after doing a few missions.

You can also save in the restrooms around the mall.

My only problem with the game at all so far is that some of the text is so tiny that it's almost unreadable.

I'd just like to say to everyone here, don't just play the demo and think that's enough, and that there's no reason to buy the game. There is a lot more to this game than what you see in the demo, way more. Even the simple act of killing zombie after zombie is far different in the full game, and it's a lot more tense and entertaining.

From what I heard almost everything is a weapon.

You can cosplay as Mega Man and there's a poster for a movie called "Mega Man 2."

There is a place in the foodcourt called "Jill's Sandwiches."

You can toss cds and records at zombies...which they no-sell...kind of like Shaun of the Dead, whether intentional or not.

Servbot heads can be put on zombies, making them harmless.

Weapons guide, courtesy of gamevideos and 1up.com: http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/4893

Yay, the 2nd exclusive game that I'd actually want to play on 360!

Guys, the death of

the evil clown boss

has got to be one of my all time favorite death scenes ever in a video game of any kind. Holy hot shit was that awesome! I did it all without any real weapons also.

You lucky bastard, the avarage life span of a PS2 is a year.

Man i so cannot wait for this game.