TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Man Who Sold The World

Sevendust

I've been a Sevendust fan since their first album and I've been questioning why they can't seem to get out there in mainstream. They had/have the commercial hits, LaJon's voice is amazing, and they've got great music all around. I can't seem to understand it. They have hard stuff and that those little "slow" songs that everyone digs and they can't seem to get into the public and I can't figure it out. I've even read articles where some people throw out the race card, but I won't touch that for a number of reasons. Anybody heard of them or have an opinion of their music and why they haven't busted out? Is it TVT records fault? (the label they have since left)

Because they don't look like typical punk little kids or have really stupid haircuts. The key to getting into the mainstream is really stupid haircuts and looking like punk kids. See AVENGED SEVENFOLD.

Be happy Sevendust isn't into the mainstream. If they are doing well, getting their hits and their fanbase isn't being completely overrun by moronic kids who think they are the gratest rox band alive doods, be thrilled.

Being mainstream shouldn't be a big deal for metal bands anymore. Being successful and being known around in the metal community as being good or very good should be more important than what Rolling Stone, MTV and Fuse think. If they got into the mainstream, you'd get tired of them very fast even if you are a fan.

I love me some Sevendust.

I saw them at OzzFest way back before I'd ever heard of them, and I've been a big fan every since.

They are underrated as hell, though.

And they gets no love from MTV, ever.

Pretty much everyone I know who has heard them, likes at least some of thier shit.

Guest guerillagenius

One of my favorite bands. I prefer the sound they had in Home more than Animosity, Seasons, and Next. I still like them a lot though.

Very underrated and I do think it has a lot to do with TVT, it's there job to get them out there and on the radio. The band is doing what they should be doing. I'm glad they left for a new label, their albums sell well, but they seem to be almost unknown by most of the mainstream.

I don't hate them. They have some good songs but they don't offer anything really "spectacular" that would make me love them.

Guest J0bber

What are you talking about? Compared to many other bands that came out in the same era and had a similar sound, these guys are very successful. They've released five albums, all of which had singles with decent radio airplay. A more talented band with a similar sound that used to be on the same label called Nothingface is much better in my opinion but didn't get as much attention.

If they went into MTV-like mainstream umbrella, most of their fans would begin hating them. In hard rock/metal, it is not cool to be mainstream.

I will second the fact that TVT are a bunch of idiots. Nothingface were screwed over by them in promotion for their Violence album. They were supposed to do a video for the song "Bleeder" but the record company never provided the funds.

Guest guerillagenius
What are you talking about? Compared to many other bands that came out in the same era and had a similar sound, these guys are very successful. They've released five albums, all of which had singles with decent radio airplay. A more talented band with a similar sound that used to be on the same label called Nothingface is much better in my opinion but didn't get as much attention.

If they went into MTV-like mainstream umbrella, most of their fans would begin hating them. In hard rock/metal, it is not cool to be mainstream.

I will second the fact that TVT are a bunch of idiots. Nothingface were screwed over by them in promotion for their Violence album. They were supposed to do a video for the song "Bleeder" but the record company never provided the funds.

I guess I will assume you are talking to me. I said their albums sell well. I prefer the heavier sound they had with Home I think it had a lot more raw energy to it. I didn't say they should be mainstream, but if you aren't known by barely anyone mainstream then they don't get to keep with the sound that they want. Most times a label will have the band change their sound to make it more "mainstream". The sound that they have got out there I'm sure would be accepted and we wouldn't have to see a large change in their sound. Listen to Home and then listen to Seasons, they are worlds apart and I'm guessing partially to make it more mainstream friendly.

I don't know about your radio stations, but 93x in Minnesota rarely plays any Sevendust, they may play a single for a couple weeks here and there from a new album, but other than that they aren't a factor.

Name your favorite songs.

My two favorites are actually off of the Scream 3 soundtrack (Fall) and The Scorpion King soundtrack (Corrected). If you haven't heard them check em out.

I liked Denial when it first came out but I heard it so many damn times.

I also like their cover of LL Cool J's "Going Back To Cali"

Guest guerillagenius

If you check out the southside double wide album they have a good cover of "Hurt" by NIN.

Guest J0bber

I guess I will assume you are talking to me. I said their albums sell well. I prefer the heavier sound they had with Home I think it had a lot more raw energy to it. I didn't say they should be mainstream, but if you aren't known by barely anyone mainstream then they don't get to keep with the sound that they want. Most times a label will have the band change their sound to make it more "mainstream". The sound that they have got out there I'm sure would be accepted and we wouldn't have to see a large change in their sound. Listen to Home and then listen to Seasons, they are worlds apart and I'm guessing partially to make it more mainstream friendly.

I don't know about your radio stations, but 93x in Minnesota rarely plays any Sevendust, they may play a single for a couple weeks here and there from a new album, but other than that they aren't a factor.

Name your favorite songs.

My two favorites are actually off of the Scream 3 soundtrack (Fall) and The Scorpion King soundtrack (Corrected). If you haven't heard them check em out.

I apologize for misunderstanding your post. Here in Chicago we used to have a harder rock station called The Zone that played them a lot but they recently went under so now I don't hear Sevendust that much anymore. My favorite Sevendust song is "Angel's Son" from Strait Up, a tribute to Lynn Strait of Snot. "Enemy" also isn't bad since it's dissing that makeup wearing idiot Dez Fafara. I do agree that their singer has a great voice, and the musicians are talented. They often get lumped into a nu metal crowd that I feel they don't really belong in. I would call them alternative metal maybe.

I've actually related to several of their songs. Of course the song that made me a fan was "Black" because of it's raw energy and meaning. In the live version he says "With my eyes close, all I see is Black". It means so much, if you listen to it. I also think "Denial", "Live Again", "Waffle", "Face To Face", "Pieces", and "Broken Down" (which sadly didn't make it to the Best Of CD) are all must listens. Those songs play in heavy rotation on my Ipod.

I like their debut...and that's about. I didn't mind "Denial" and Home when it came out, but WAAF played it all the time...and I got bored easily. Everything I've heard off of the first album, though - "My Ruin," "Terminator," "Bitch," and "Black" - has been magnificent hard rock. It wasn't whiney, LaJon's voice is powerful and can be both raspy and melodic, and the one time I saw them live (opening for Megadeth), they were amazing.

I think you can attritbute their lack of success to MTV's pushing of whiny nu-metal and rap/rock bands over straight-forward hard rock. That...and that Sevendust and Stuck Mojo used to play shows together a lot in Atlanta, since they're both from Georgia, and Stuck Mojo used to blow 'em off the stage on a regular basis. Of course, Mojo's lack of success comes from their marketing as well (the only video they had that got any airplay, "Rising," featured Raven, DDP, and The Flock, so non-wrestling fans instantly associated them with wrestling), as well as Century Media being a more metal-oriented label (if you can think of a huge metal band these days that hasn't at least ONCE been on Century Media, you're a better man than I) and not pushing the bands whose sounds could be more commercially acceptable (they hyped Shadows Fall more than they did Skinlab, and Skinlab likely would have had a few rock-radio hits by now if they didn't otherwise).

The only song I've heard from them was the "Break Down The Walls" song on the Forceable Entry CD and it was one of my favorite tracks.

I tech-supported Lajon's AOL when I worked for customer service about 5 years ago. Nice guy.

I love the group. I was a little underwhelmed by their last album, mainly because their backup singer left to form Dark New Day. Seasons is my favorite album from them. There isn't a single boring or uninteresting song to be heard.