TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Agent of Oblivion

This is the NFL Preseason Thread

Guest NYankees

Jeff George signed with the Raiders and is going to compete for the starting QB job.

Speaking of Raiders QB's Kerry Collins signs with Tennessee, presumably to fill in if Volek stinks up up the joint as a starter and they don't feel like throwing Young to the wolves just yet.

He's the most overrated player in the league.

More than Roy Williams?

Roy Williams isn't overrated.

The hell he isn't....well maybe not ANYMORE since people have caught on.

ESPN talked about the Collins pick up and said "Well Volek and Young haven't been impressive in the pre-season" like Young was supposed to be throwing like an NFL vet already.

Guest Vitamin X

And as if Kerry fucking Collins will be any more impressive. Young just needs some time to pick up the offense. Trial by fire, if need be.

Whoa, I heard that the Texans may cut Domanick Davis. I didn't think that the Texans needed to draft Reggie Bush, but now I think I'm going to go ahead and change my opinion....

And didn't they pick the Panthers last year or the year before?

Last year.

And it's not like it was a bad choice. They did fall out of the gate, but they made it to the NFC title game against the Seawhos

ESPN talked about the Collins pick up and said "Well Volek and Young haven't been impressive in the pre-season" like Young was supposed to be throwing like an NFL vet already.

I like the fact that ESPN feels the need to show Young highlights after all of his games, and since the highlights aren't that high, they end up just showing a run on a broken play that most QBs would have been able to find someone to dump the ball to. Or maybe a long pass that does show impressive arm strength, but is often a pass that could have been knocked down or intercepted by a starting DB.

They focus on the Vince and Reggie highlights like they're the best players ever already and we have to see every little thing they do. But neither is doing squat right now and it's the preseason at that!

I just though their attitude about the signing of Collins sucked. It was like "Well Volek and Young have failed so someone needs to save the team."

He's the most overrated player in the league.

More than Roy Williams?

Roy Williams isn't overrated.

The hell he isn't....well maybe not ANYMORE since people have caught on.

He's one of the best safeties in the league. He had a really bad game on a national stage last year, but that doesn't mean he gets burnt every week.

This a quote about him from the 2006 Pro Football Prospectus..

"Roy Williams does not deserve all of the criticism he receives for his poor pass coverage. His Stop Rate of 43% ranked 6th among all safeties involved in at least 40 passing plays. Williams' biggest problem in pass coverage is that he gets little help from Keith Davis"

Now the Panthers are not a bad pick from the NFC. I think the Dolphins are a playoff team I think they are still a longshot to make it past the 2nd round.

People may laugh at this but I think they totally dissed the Cardinals. SI has them going 6-10 on the season. I believe they will go 9-7 and maybe pickup a wild card spot.

The Panthers aren't a bad pick at all, but THE DOLPHINS?!?!

Granted they have Culpepper, Chambers, Ronnie Brown, McMichael and a pretty solid D, I don't think the playoffs are out of the question depending on how Culpepper plays, and they're projected to have the 12th easiest schedule, but to pick them to make the Super Bowl is pretty funny.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Carolina is a great pick, actually. In fact, I'm changing them to my NFC Superbowl pick. Losing to Jacksonville, still. The Jaguars are going to be very dangerous and very overlooked. With Leftwich and Taylor(for now) both healthy, and capable backups in both positions, in addition to a very decent defense, it's up to the coaching to take them that far.

I'm not picking any NFC East teams to take it, because that division is going to beat the hell out of each other, same with the AFC West.

I guess people got tired of picking NE/IND and decided it was time for a change and Miami is this year's sexy pick that goes nowhere.

In this day and age in the NFL, about 24 teams are realistic shots at the SB.

I like the fact that ESPN feels the need to show Young highlights after all of his games, and since the highlights aren't that high, they end up just showing a run on a broken play that most QBs would have been able to find someone to dump the ball to. Or maybe a long pass that does show impressive arm strength, but is often a pass that could have been knocked down or intercepted by a starting DB.

They focus on the Vince and Reggie highlights like they're the best players ever already and we have to see every little thing they do. But neither is doing squat right now and it's the preseason at that!

I just though their attitude about the signing of Collins sucked. It was like "Well Volek and Young have failed so someone needs to save the team."

Agreed. I wouldn't be shocked if half of the NFL fans in the United States didn't know DeAngelo Williams returned a kickoff 98-yards for a touchdown against the Miami Dolphins last Thursday night. Also had nine carries for 41 yards against the Dolphins' first-team defense. ESPN wants to show Reggie Bush's run against the Titans, Matt Leinart, and Vince Young, they completely overlook most of the other first-round draft picks who have actually had successful preseasons.

Now the Panthers I definitely see. They're the trendy pick, and of course they have STEVE SMITH, but now they have a reciever in Keyshawn that will make sure Steve Smith doesn't have ALL the attention in the world and may free him up more. Besides, who else you going to pick in the NFC. I want to pick Seattle, but thanks to me being a bit suerpstitious, i can't since Shaun Alexander made the Madden cover. It's a dumb as hell way of thinking, but the curse hasn't been proved wrong yet.

But the Dolphins? Jesus, someone must have a raging hard-on for Nick Saban. I don't even have them making the playoffs in what will be a ridiculously tight wild card. You have the Patriots, Colts, Broncos, and Chiefs alomst shoe-ins to get in. Now who else? You also have the Ravens, Steelers, Chargers, Bengals and Jaguars. And your gonna tell me the Dolphins are gonna get past ALL those teams and make it to the Super Bowl? Surely you jest.

Cardinals are going to make the playoffs this year. Two teams will get out of the NFC East (I think Cowboys & Redskins. One team will get out of the North (although I'm debating either the Bears or Vikings there). One will get out of the South (Carolina) as they have an off-year for once, and that leaves two left in the west. Seattle will get the first slot of course, and I think Arizona will get the 6th and final slot in the playoffs.

Sidenote: Is there anyone that can persuade me to NOT think the 49ers will be the WORST team in the league?

Who's everybodys Rookie of the Year on offense and defense???

Offensive Rookie of the Year - Mike Bell (If he is the Broncos' starter, he'll rush for atleast 1,200 yards. No other rookie will come close to that.)

Defensive Rookie of the Year - Mario Williams (Forget Reggie Bush, Williams has looked dominant early on. I'll predict that Williams will have more sacks than Bush has touchdowns this season.)

But the Dolphins? Jesus, someone must have a raging hard-on for Nick Saban. I don't even have them making the playoffs in what will be a ridiculously tight wild card. You have the Patriots, Colts, Broncos, and Chiefs alomst shoe-ins to get in. Now who else? You also have the Ravens, Steelers, Chargers, Bengals and Jaguars. And your gonna tell me the Dolphins are gonna get past ALL those teams and make it to the Super Bowl? Surely you jest.

Dolphins finished 9-7 last season with Gus Frerotte calling signals. They'll do even better with Daunte Culpepper if he holds up. I don't care what people said about Daunte's early season woes last season, he will be better than that this year. They have as good a shot as the teams you listed (Ravens? You're kidding, right?).

Eagles just made the biggest move of the preseason, bringing Heather Mitts back to the team (along with aj feeley) on a two year deal. They also cut Koy and Pinkston.

As I said earlier in the thread, as big a fan as I was of Koy's it was just time. He could serve a "Doug Pederson" type role if a team had nothing at 3rd string and wanted someone to help the starter learn the WCO. Otherwise it is time to hang em up.

Apparent now that Pinky never got to 100% and therefore he was worthless. He'll catch on somewhere (possibly Minnesota given Childress + lack of WRs).

Dolphins finished 9-7 last season with Gus Frerotte calling signals. They'll do even better with Daunte Culpepper if he holds up. I don't care what people said about Daunte's early season woes last season, he will be better than that this year. They have as good a shot as the teams you listed (Ravens? You're kidding, right?).

They'll make the Wild Card, but SI has them beating the Ravens, Steelers and Colts in succession to make the Superbowl. THAT I don't buy.

Question, are odds of $3.38 for Philly to win this weekend against the Jets good? I know McNabb will be sitting out, but will the Jets beat them?