TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

The Beer Thread.

Dude, I live in Oregon- they call this place Beervana. I'm all about the microbrews.

I gotta try that Hop Devil stuff, though. I love hoppy beers.

You probably get asked this all the time, but have you been to the Rogue brewery? Chocolate Stout was another college fave.

Guest Vitamin X

Actually the real Rogue Brewery is down in Newport, which is a couple hours away, so I haven't been there, but they have another one up here which I have been to. I am actually hitting it up this Thursday for my birthday since they give birthday celebrators a free yard of beer to get crunk with, presumably.

Dead Guy Ale is a huge favorite of mine as well, even though I'm not a huge fan of amber ales. Chocolate Stout is delicious too, though, but of more note (slightly off topic) they have a distillery here in Portland and they make fucking fantastic rum.

I'm starting to come around on the taste of quite a few alcoholic beverages. I'm ashamed to admit that the Belgian beer that I like to drink is not only of a cherry flavour, but also comes in raspberry form. I somehow cannot remember its name at this very second though, it's a cheap import that my friend buys for me on our weekly binge.

My taste in alcohol has changed overtime from delicious alchopops such as WKD and Smirnoff Ice, which I do still like the taste of, to exclusive cider binging. My enjoyment of beer and lager is fairly limited, all truths be told. Oh, I also very much like Malibu...

Having said that, my absolute favourite drink is actually a cheap knock off of Malibu. It's essentially the exact same thing, right down to its logo, but it undeniably tastes better. I cannot find an image or even a reference to it online, but its name is simply 'Caribbean Rum'.

Chmay_Blue_75.jpg

Fuck your guys' blue collar found in every supermarket shit, I'm rollin high class here. This beer is so good you need a snifter/brandy glass to fully appreciate all the subtle flavors, the aroma, and of course, the 9% ABV as well.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/215/2512

While I can't disagree with your choice here (Chimay is damn fine), I can't say I've ever had it as a draft beer - apparently this just arrived in the US last year(!).

As for the microbrews, I don't think we have any hard and fast rules here, but let's think of this as more of a recommendation thread for brands available in more places than, say, one pub. So I say, if you want to pimp a local/regional favourite, go for it - but make sure we know where we can get it.

VX: Chocolate Stout is delicious too,

You're gonna bust my balls about enjoying a Cherry flavored beer, and then in the same breath you pimp a chocolate brew? Something seems a little odd about that to me....

But while you are reading, there are some great blueberry beers out there that are good to have on occasion as well.

I'm starting to come around on the taste of quite a few alcoholic beverages. I'm ashamed to admit that the Belgian beer that I like to drink is not only of a cherry flavour, but also comes in raspberry form.

I believe that is another beer from the "Belle Vue" brand that I posted. I've never actually had the Raspberry, but I've heard about it in my search to see if the Cherry one was available in my area.

Guest Vitamin X
VX: Chocolate Stout is delicious too,

You're gonna bust my balls about enjoying a Cherry flavored beer, and then in the same breath you pimp a chocolate brew? Something seems a little odd about that to me....

No sir, there's a difference between a cherry-flavored beer, and a stout which has an inherently chocolately flavor built in to the beer itself by virtue of being a stout. It's still, how should we put this, more beer than chocolate, whereas a cherry flavored beer is more cherry than beer.

On the subject of flavored brews though, Pete's Wicked Strawberry is a pretty good choice.

Apparantly Harpoon is based out of Vermount. I guess it had a way smaller distrubution area than I thought. I thought Harpoon was like Sam Adams, a quasi-micro brew that one could get just about anywhere.

Guest Vitamin X

Sam Adams is currently the largest producer of beer in America, since Budweiser got bought out by the Belgians. They're far from a microbrew.

Yeah, but Sam Adams is like Sleemans in that way - you still think of them as being a "little guy" compared to the really big breweries.

Actually, since Sleemans is owned by Sapporo, I guess I should say Moosehead. Although I think that Molson is still technically Canadian-owned. I don't remember exactly how that merger worked.

wbier07_43835734_11.jpg

I heard about this in a Cracked article the other day, and it's become very important that I find it.

Suffikator

That is the most metal beer ever. I would drink that exclusively... if only that were possible.

Apparently, it's seasonal. Winter only. You may have to wait a couple months.

Guest Vitamin X

I should give that a shot. Probably find it in some supermarket around here.

You didn't pour that though, did you? Yikes that's a lot of head.

What would come first? Would you Suffikate a Celebrator or Celebrate the Suffikation?

On the beer front I tried an orange peel ale from Great Lakes Brewery in Northern Ontario and it was quite pleasant.

Both Great Lakes and Kawartha Lakes do some good shit, especially in the fruit-centric areas of beer.

I still can't believe I've lived downtown for over a year now and have yet to tour the Steamwhistle factory. It was such a glorious day when they came out with tall cans of that goodness.

Unfortunately, Niagara Best isn't that good at all. Well maybe the Blonde, but still.

My dad will only drink Blue if its at basement temp. Says it has a better taste.

I spoke to my one German friend online (from another message board), who speaks good English, all things considered. But either she's not too knowledgeable about beer, or the language barrier is getting in the way. She claimed that, wellin regards to Suffikator):

germansnx6.png

*facepalm*

I should give that a shot. Probably find it in some supermarket around here.

You didn't pour that though, did you? Yikes that's a lot of head.

Oh, most definitely give it a shot. It has a malty, roasty, chocolate, coffee, caramel type of taste. It's pretty common for an import beer as well; you won't find at supermarkets, but most beer/wine specialty shops I've been to have it. Kind of pricey though, 13.49 for a 4 pack around here.

I spoke to my one German friend online (from another message board), who speaks good English, all things considered. But either she's not too knowledgeable about beer, or the language barrier is getting in the way. She claimed that, well:

germansnx6.png

*facepalm*

"Hulk Hogan couldn't do that and neither could you!"

Gold