TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

The Beer Thread.

I've been searching high and low through every fucking bar and beer/liquor store here in Toronto and can't find that beer. It's pretty much at the top of my want list.

On a beer note I learned the hard way last night that my taste buds aren't a fan of Belgian White Strawberry Beer.

Guest Vitamin X

If you don't mind trusting me with your address, I'll be more than happy to send you a bottle.

.. This could be interesting. A TSM Beer Exchange!

I recently picked up some of DFH's Punkin Ale and their Palo Santo Marron. The latter, in spite of having 12% strength, is very drinkable and smooth. And delicious, oh man. I emptied two bottles in a shamefully quick fashion.

I also recently tried Rogue's Double Dead Guy, which, while good, wasn't all that different from the regular Dead Guy and certainly wasn't worth the inflated price tag.

As much as I love a hoppy beer, I slightly prefer the 60 Minute IPA to the 90 Minute IPA. I find the former to be slightly more drinkable. Doesn't mean I won't indulge with the 90 from time to time. Still have never seen nor tried the famed 120 Minute.

If you don't mind trusting me with your address, I'll be more than happy to send you a bottle.

.. This could be interesting. A TSM Beer Exchange!

Oh man, that would be awesome. I'll happily find some premium local stuff from Toronto and send it back. You're in Portland, right? I imagine shipping costs shouldn't be too steep. I am all for starting a TSM beer exchange too.

Would you be violating any obscure international law by sending beer across the border?

Guest Vitamin X

Doubtful, but I definitely am not going to ship it using the Postal Service- I'd most likely send it with DHL or FedEx or UPS.

I googled the legalities of it and it's illegal to use USPS for shipping alcohol, and it depends from state to state but most likely you'll just get a warning to start with if worse comes to worse. The key is to just ship it and not tell the guy what's in there, if anything just say it's like soda or something.

You guys are probably a lot less strict on that crap than we are down here.

EDIT: Here's a good thread about doing that, at least from the U.S.

Take a look around and if you see any Canuck beers that catch you eye let me know. If not my fallback beer will be the Great Lakes Orange Peel ale I've been into recently, if that sounds good to you.

Guest Vitamin X

I'll take anything local that you might recommend. I'm into IPAs and Stouts, but yeah. You want the Dogfish 90 or 120?

Oh also, PM me your addy. I get paid sometime this week (gotta love working as an independent contractor) so I can send it to you by next week, probably.

The TSM Beer Exchange is on.

b60626364.jpg

Si, si. While I hardly have any inclination to partake year-round (not that it's available year-round any way), I do find myself with a taste for the Pumpkin Ales during the season of the witch.

Guest Vitamin X

That might not be a problem either way. If I'm using a courier service (which I'd have to since USPS is anal about mailing beer, so DHL probably) they should just come to your door, I'd imagine.

So of course it would figure the day after you propose the beer exchange the place near my work starts stocking the 60 Minute IPA but I'm still down for an exchange if you can think of some other good suds to recommend.

Guest Vitamin X

Dude I can get you fresh beer you can't get anywhere else from a ton of breweries here, including Rogue. I could even get you a fifth of the Oregon Hazelnut Rum which is only distilled down here. Widmer has a great brewery also. Oh, and there's the 120 minute IPA as well.

I'm going to look around for the Suffikator as well for Nighthawk, even though he didn't ask for it from me.

If the beer exchange between myself and VX goes well I'll request that next. Speak of that, gimme your info X. I get paid next week so once the cheque goes through I'll start looking for your brews.

Dude I can get you fresh beer you can't get anywhere else from a ton of breweries here, including Rogue. I could even get you a fifth of the Oregon Hazelnut Rum which is only distilled down here. Widmer has a great brewery also. Oh, and there's the 120 minute IPA as well.

Hey X, where did you find the 120 Minute? I didn't see it at Whole Foods last time I was there.

Guest Vitamin X

If your foray into beer is anything like mine, you'll go with Miller Lite at first because it's cheap, easily obtainable, and pretty drinkable, smooth. I like it best out of all the cheap domestics.

Then you'll drink Corona, Rolling Rock and Guinness and figure out the difference between light and dark beers.

Then you'll drink more imports (simple ones at first- Newcastle, Bass, even Heineken) and all of a sudden that typical American shite isn't all that appealing anymore and you don't mind paying more to get a case of the better stuff.

Then you'll find a great microbrew or a strange beer and it changes everything. For me, that was Anchor Steam which I first tried at a natural foods store in Miami. Now, I just go for anything local and a lot that's not- Bear Republic, Widmer, Rogue, Mactarnahan's, Laurelwood, Deschutes, Ninkasi, Full Sail, pretty much anything I can find that I haven't tried before.

Don't even get me started on liquor. I'm wondering if I'm the biggest alcohol snob around these parts (TSM, not Oregon.. no, definitely not Oregon) or what.

Guest Vitamin X

Hey X, where did you find the 120 Minute? I didn't see it at Whole Foods last time I was there.

I saw the 120 minute at Whole Foods, funny enough. I had to look for it for a bit then I was like OH SHIT SCORE.

If worse comes to worse though, I have Belmont Station here (ironically not located on Belmont anymore) which is the greatest beer store known to man.

I saw the 120 minute at Whole Foods, funny enough. I had to look for it for a bit then I was like OH SHIT SCORE.

If worse comes to worse though, I have Belmont Station here (ironically not located on Belmont anymore) which is the greatest beer store known to man.

I always do my beer shopping at the Whole Foods out by Bridgeport Village. I've never seen the 120 Min there, so the selection must vary by store..

Where's Belmont Station? I'm going to be in P-town on Sunday and figured I could pick up a few things.