TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

The Beer Thread.

Can anyone confirm or deny whether Newcastle Ale has changed their ingreidients in any way in the last few years or so. My brother-in-law swears up and down it tastes different then it used to, and not in a good way.

On my birthday I had some Polish beer called Żywiec porter.

Pretty good, but at 9.5% alcohol, I got slightly buzzed off of one. Which is good, you know, within the context of my massive alcohol abuse problem.

While deciding to drink much less, I also decided that when I do have a beer, it should be of much higher quality. Which works because a BevMo opened right up the street from my new apartment. They have a lot... but no Suffikator, sadly.

I might get hell for this, and I pride myself on not being a bud light/miller light/ect guy, but Schlitz is an amazingly drinkable beer, as long as it's real cold. I would never get it just for taste, but if I want to get wasted off beer, Schlitz is the way to go. It's cheap as hell, doesn't taste like piss and goes down real easy. Never had a bad hangover off of it either.

So I'm pretty sure my least favorite beer of all time is Milwaukee's Best. I feel pretty bad for Milwaukee if this is truly the best they got.

Guest Vitamin X

Out of the three cheap domestics, I also like Miller way more than Coors or Bud. Has a nicer taste to it. But I like PBR because it's cheap and it has a really great flavor for it, for the price. In fact, ironically enough, it's placed in the medal competition for American-Style Lager for the past couple decades at the Great American Beer Festival, winning the gold a few tmes. Makes you wonder why they still brag about an award they won in 1887. Anyways, interestingly enough, PBR is also made by the same folks who brought you Colt 45, Old Milwaukee, Olympia, Rainier, and Schlitz Malt Liquor (the one with the fuckin' bull). Safe to say Pabst is the leading expert in beer bong fueling these days.

I'd put Miller at the top of those 3 as well. I was a Coors guy, but it just isn't as good as I first remembered.

This needs a bump. I've lately fallen in love with Bell's Java Stout. Coffee stouts in general are a can't-miss beer, but this one in particular is extraordinary. So rich and malty, but not overly so. A new favorite.

Also, I recently tried Brooklyn's Black Ops. Split this with a friend because, as much as I appreciate high-quality beer, I can't yet bring myself to drop $20 on a single, 25-ounce bottle. I sing a different tune now that I've had it; in spite of its strength (11% alcohol; plus it's bottle-conditioned so it's probably stronger), this goes down incredibly smooth. Definitely picking it up again on my next trip to Whole Foods.

It wasn't available here (NC) for the longest time, but just showed up a couple months ago. We never got Bell's around here until about two years ago and Stone didn't show up until around summer time.

The company that distributes beer to Jacksonville is pretty slow about getting in new beers, so I'm sure the Breakfast Stout will find its way here eventually.

Stone's Ruination is, hands down, the best of the Stone beers I've tried and likely one of the best double IPAs I've ever had. Their pale ale is decent for what it is, but I'm not a big fan of straight pale ales, anyway. I like getting their regular IPA on tap at this one bar I go to, but never do I pick it up stores. There are better, cheaper IPAs; Bell's Two-Hearted Ale immediately comes to mind. The smoked porter is good, but I like my darker beers really malty, so I don't get this one very often. The Arrogant Bastard is terrific; has anyone had the Double Arrogant Bastard? Can't get it here yet and I'd love to try it.

The Arrogant Bastard is terrific; has anyone had the Double Arrogant Bastard? Can't get it here yet and I'd love to try it.

Double Bastard is damn good. Also tried their Imperial Russian Stout, which may be my favorite out of any of the Stone beers I've tried.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I'm drinking this:

delirium.jpg

Nummy. The Delirium Nocturnum is at the liquor store, so I shall drink that soon.

nugget_nectar_ale.jpg

Troegs in general is tasty stuff. Nugget Nectar is beyond that though. Fantastic beer. Local bar to me is tapping a firkin this week as a part of Beer Week.

They also have a meet the brewer later with a firkin of Rogue Double Dead Guy!

Tis a good week.

WeyerbacherMerryMonksTripel.jpg

Split a 25-ounce bottle of Weyerbacher's Merry Monks Belgian-style Golden Ale with my girlfriend. Never been huge on Belgian and Belgian-style ales, but I liked this one OK. Smooth enough and without as strong a fruity/floral bite that a lot of Belgians have.