TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

PS3 .VS. Wii .VS. Xbox 360?

123 members have voted

1. 1. What should I get?/What are you getting?

• PlayStation 3
    • Wii
    • Xbox 360

PS3 - $500/$600 - Released, November/17th/2006.

Wii - $250 - Released, November/19th/2006.

Xbox 360 - $300/$400 - Out now.

Of the three, Wii looks to have the best value for what *appears* to be available by the end of the year.

If 360 gets a few more good exclusive games to go with Dead Rising, I'll seriously consider it.

As far as PS3 goes, it better have some VERY good titles for me to pick it up anytime soon. GTA 4 and Metal Gear Solid 4 appear to be exclusives, but when will they arrive?

I already have a 360 and since I'm anti-Sony, the Wii is next. As soon as I pre-order one that is.

I'd get an Xbox 360 because I really liked my Xbox. I said I wouldn't buy a Gamecube but I did anyway. I would have to try that contoller a few times and like it in order to buy it. Playstation 3 would have to have a massive price drop and Blu-Ray would have to be the dominant media format before I buy one.

The 360 is, in my eyes, an unmitigated disaster. Out for a damn year and there's 2...maybe 3 games worth a damn on it that aren't suck/gussied up ports? And one of those games worth a damn just came out this week. Unacceptable. Then again, 360 has the market cornered on bloated muscle-headed guys with guns killing people in ultraviolent FPSs, so if that gets your rocks off I suppose you'll love it. The BC is a joke and I don't have the right TV to make its games look sensationally next gen anyway.

I've always been one for the more odd, distinctly Japanese games....which right now Nintendo has gravitated more so towards than the other folks. Not saying I'll only get a Wii, but only the Wii looks like something I'd want to play at launch.

The PS3's lineup is loaded with big-name franchises of games I hated, or don't want to play. MGS4 can rot in hell. Killzone sucks. Warhawk? Pft. Genji was mediocre and even at 10 bucks pawn shops have problems getting rid of it. Sony will have the backing of Capcom, Konami, Namco, and more--so whenever the price of the PS3 drops to significantly less than Arm, Leg, and a few Organs USD I'll likely pick one up. However, over the entire lineup nothing appeals to me but Assassin's Creed, an "exclusive" until Ubi decides to release the 360 one they were working on forever.

So if it comes to 5+ launch games for the Wii, with anywhere from another 8-12 between then and the first quarter of 07....vs. maybe one or two on PS3/360 each, that's a complete no brainer.

Maybe I'm just not e.

Guest Princess Leena

I'll never buy a console near release, so I don't care about release games.

PS3, I'm hoping Blu-Ray fails miserably so the price plummets enormously. I want to pay for a gaming system, not state-of-the-art data storage when I don't give a hoot about HD, anyway.

360, I must agree, has been pretty awful so far. Not many original games that catch my eye that warrant buying a $400 system... and most of the games that interest me (i.e. sports) that were released with XBox games have been WORSE than the XBox version.

Wii, I'll be giving more of a chance. At least they're trying new things, instead of just improved graphics like the other two. But, as with Gamecube, I don't know if there's enough games that I'd enjoy. Even if they can get ports from other systems, it would be great.

Guest wildpegasus

Wii for sure. The download games things is a big seller for me. Plus there's Zelda.

Maybe a PS3 in the far future.

I'll never buy a console near release, so I don't care about release games.

PS3, I'm hoping Blu-Ray fails miserably so the price plummets enormously. I want to pay for a gaming system, not state-of-the-art data storage when I don't give a hoot about HD, anyway.

360, I must agree, has been pretty awful so far. Not many original games that catch my eye that warrant buying a $400 system... and most of the games that interest me (i.e. sports) that were released with XBox games have been WORSE than the XBox version.

Wii, I'll be giving more of a chance. At least they're trying new things, instead of just improved graphics like the other two. But, as with Gamecube, I don't know if there's enough games that I'd enjoy. Even if they can get ports from other systems, it would be great.

That's pretty much my opinion, more or less.

If Nintendo's selling point was more than "Wii has a motion sensor controller! When you move the $10 tv universal remote control up Mario jumps!" maybe I would care. It's cheap and will sell alot of systems due to the Smash Brothers marks.

PS3 is about pushing Sony's new technology in BLU-RAY will it make games better probably not but the fanboys will think so.

The staight edge bo 360 is the reason Bill Gates resigned. This system gets ports of the hottest PC FPS games and Xbox live seems like the better way to play games on the net.

I think I'm leaning more towards the Wii, which I can get for around $300 with a game at launch, for Christmas this year. I'll deal with it for a year, and see what the PS3 costs for Christmas 2007. Unless MGS4 and GTA IV tempt me to get a PS3 earlier.

Right now, I'm not planning on getting anything.

Nothing on the 360 other than Oblivion interests me.

Wii has Mario Galaxy, Zelda, and the virtual console

PS3 has Final Fantasy, MGS, the next RE, and the next GTA.

As far as the games go, if price weren't an issue, it'd be PS3 hands down, since I am a huge modern FF mark. I dont even like the other rpgs I try to play, just the FFs. But no way in hell I'm buying a 600 dollar system, or even a 500 dollar one. Or even a 400 dollar one. In fact, 300 is my absolute limit. Which should point to Wii, except I know myself enough to know that I'm going to be crying inside when the new FF and MGS come out and I can't play em. So basically I'll keep on playing Ps2 for another year or two, then look at the respective game libraries and prices and see how it shakes out. I basically need at least 3 "i must buy this now" games on a system before I go with it.

I won't be buying a new console before one or two years. I still have a lot of games left untouched and, when the time will come to make a choice, there will be a drop in prices (hopefully). PS3 is way too expensive and only MSG 4 caught my eye. Oblivion sounds very interesting, but it's not worth buying a 360 only for this game. So I'll wait until there's more games out and I'll make a choice. If I have the time and money, I'll be buying all three.

A question : is anyone a fan of the new "Bad asses in huge metallic armors, fighting in the near future" trend that took over the "Thugs from the 'hood" of last year ? It seems that half of next-gen game are using this theme.

PS3 has Final Fantasy, MGS, the next RE, and the next GTA.

Resident Evil 5 and GTA IV are both coming out for the Xbox 360, too. Wii also has it's own Resident Evil game coming out, different to Resident Evil 5 on the PS3 and Xbox 360.

Well I own a 360.

But I'm all about the Wii right now just for the controls.

The only way I'll get a PS3 is if it turns out that the BR's bad PQ is from the software and not the hardware. But I won't get it until the price drops to atleast $400.

Guest Askewniverse
The only way I'll get a PS3 is if it turns out that the BR's bad PQ is from the software and not the hardware.

There are several factors that can have affect the PQ of a title. The video source is probably the most important thing. If the source isn't very good, the PQ won't be great.

The only fair way to compare the PQ for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD is to watch the same movie on both formats.

Guest DaGoodz

Got a 360 right now, gonna sell it and get a PS3 when it comes out.

360 is decent but the games are terrible, I do enjoy playing NCAA 2007 on it though.

Wii's game lineup looks awful to me, I have no interest in that system.

The only way I'll get a PS3 is if it turns out that the BR's bad PQ is from the software and not the hardware.

There are several factors that can have affect the PQ of a title. The video source is probably the most important thing. If the source isn't very good, the PQ won't be great.

The only fair way to compare the PQ for Blu-Ray and HD-DVD is to watch the same movie on both formats.

First BR vs HD-DVD comparison.

And right now, it seems that the problems are with the software. The codec that the BRs are using are MPEG2, which is old and isn't that good as others.

But this is the wrong thread for this discussion.

I'm currently looking at a Wii itself.

However, whichever way the RPGs go, is the system that will be my main system. So while I'll likely get the Wii first, if PS3 takes hold of the RPGs again.... Well, I'm getting a PS3. Hopefully Wii gets some legitimate RPGs so I don't hafta make that awful choice.

...maybe I can send in a protest letter to NISA to produce games on the Wii.

Are any stores taking preorders for the Wii or PS3 yet?

Guest wildpegasus

The Wii is just destroying everyone in the poll here. If polls like this and the GameFaqs one are any indication it looks like the Wii is going to be the new #1 system.

Wii will possibly be number one for the sort of people who go to Video Games forums, but that's not really representative of the worlds population.

Personally, I voted Wii, but I'll have to get a 360 or PS3 as a second system for proper next gen games of the franchises I like such as GTA, PES or even the new WWE games.

I can see a lot of the people on this board who are voting Wii also getting a 360 or PS3, and ultimately that may be where the console war is won.

If I do get one, it will more than likely be the Xbox360. I am simply uninterested in most everything that will come out for Wii, and the PS3 is simply too goddamn expensive.

The more I think about it, I'll probably just end up upgrading my computer before dropping $400 on a new system.

I am so totally uninterested in this generation, but I'm sure I'll eventually get a PS3, because it has Metal Gear and the good fighters.

PS3 has MGS4, FFXIII, and Virtua Fighter 5 announced already. Those 3 games are themselves enough for me to want the system. Nevermind all the other good titles that are generally out on Sony systems (Ace Combat, Gran Turismo, etc). The Wii is just hilariously overhyped, almost as much as the Xbox 360. What good titles are announced for the system, outside of a Zelda game that will be released on the Gamecube as well? Mind you, I'll buy a Wii the second I see some significant 3rd party support. The Xbox 360 is a dirt-poor man's PC. So if you don't have a good gaming PC, I guess it's viable. Even so, if you're not interested in sports games and crummy console FPS games, it's probably not worth getting at all.

What good titles are announced for the system, outside of a Zelda game that will be released on the Gamecube as well?

If you're seriously asking that question, you're too lazy to even look at a list of announced titles.

By the way, the 3 titles that have totally sold you on PS3 aren't even coming out this year. MGS4 Q1 07 if you're lucky. FFXIII is probably '08.