TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

PS3 .VS. Wii .VS. Xbox 360?

123 members have voted

1. 1. What should I get?/What are you getting?

• PlayStation 3
    • Wii
    • Xbox 360

I remember how much better Madden 2002 was then 2001, and it makes me not so worried that I might not be getting a next-gen Madden game until 2008.

I saw this video posted on another message board. Thought it was pretty funny.

(Might be NSFW)

I thought it was really weak.

PS3 would more aptly be a snooty dominatrix or something.

The apple ads they're derived from are really terrible anyway.

but... isn't Ps3 supposed to be the "flashier" "more visual" system (with its better graphics but not so innovative gameplay, ie really dumb hot chick)?

(Not sure if that was just a response to me or the original post on it...)

Yeah, PS3 should be like a 6'2", busty model, but as cold and unyielding as stone. Perhaps with a bad Madonna-esque faux-British accent.

While Wii girl could remain as-is, dumb and "fun" but more modestly equipped. However, she should wear pretty much the same clothes every single day and always drag you shopping for new earrings, shoes, etc.

360 should be, like...a blinged-out wigger/punk chick, likely equipped with her own piece.

Where are you getting that from?

PS3 = high maintenance chick with a killer figure and who has connections and can get you into places.

XBox = Sorostitue girl who knows just about *everybody* and looks pretty damn good all the time. A bit more easy going than PS3 but still all about image, however she has taken a liberal arts class or two and actually knows chaucer.

W!! = The artsy chick. Not really concerned about money as much as she is about trying different things, ALTHOUGH almost predictably so. Artsy chick has been "being different" the same way for years now. Nonetheless, is willing to experiment more than the other two. She's not ugly but doesn't dress up at all.

If you're making an attempt to be objective and truthful, yeah. However, that was never the point of the Mac/PC ads anyway, so why would a parody be?

PS3 = conformist goth chick that makes claims of social political changes but is really a follower and has no idea of what is going on.

Wii = cosplay chick that goes to conventions on the weekend and has a temp office job during the week.

360 = college party girl that is willing to do anything but likes to keep it to the classics.

Plus, I wouldn't want to use my PS3 as my only Blu-Ray player either. Thing would probably die in a few months.

Good point.

But Sony wants you to play BR so when it dies, you can just buy another one.

Just like the good ol PS2.

RE: High-Def. I'm far from an expert on high-def. I don't own an LCD or Plasma TV but plan on buying a Wii (not High-def) and either a 360 or a PS3.

Now, my question is.. does the 360 (and presumably) look passable on a "regular" tube tv?

...and alternatively does everyone think that the Wii will look fine on an LCD screen? I'm assuming all of the next-gen systems let you set the aspect ratio in the system settings.

RE: High-Def. I'm far from an expert on high-def. I don't own an LCD or Plasma TV but plan on buying a Wii (not High-def) and either a 360 or a PS3.

Now, my question is.. does the 360 (and presumably) look passable on a "regular" tube tv?

...and alternatively does everyone think that the Wii will look fine on an LCD screen? I'm assuming all of the next-gen systems let you set the aspect ratio in the system settings.

Looks fine to me, man.

In more "Sony is Evil" news from Joystiq:

The $600 PS3 with HDMI output won't come with a HDMI cable, so you'll need to shell out some extra cash for one (I've seen em as cheap as $30 at Wal Mart but if you go to a CC/BB you'll be paying over $50 easy).

Im surprised people aren't complaining that there isn't an HDMI switch as well..

Buy your cables at monoprice.com.

Im betting HDMI cables will be a part of bundles people are required to purchase at places like Best Buy if they want a PS3 at launch simlar to what happened with the 360.

And I lucked out, I had to buy a DVI/HDMI adapter which I managed to find online for $10 because my tv only has DVI, but I got an HDMI Cable with my first HD Directv System and then I got another with My HD Tivo, and I got an HDMI cable with my upconverting DVD player, so I have 3 now, plus a ton of component cables.

The PS3 vs Wii - Apple Style video was lame. Pointing out its obvious bias and gratuitousness is more or less a 'duh' kind of statement, so I'll resist. I think the PS3-girl is more attractive and would be, uh... more fun to play.

The comments to the video are amusing in that random-intraweb kind of way. wii is voor kiddo's en mario lovers

ps3 is er voor Gran Turismo in hd.. kan niet wachten let maar op ps3 euned elke console (weer).

It's hard to believe I've been without console video games for almost a year (lost the ps2 in November). Good times.

In terms of next-gen systems, my interest lies soley with PS3. If RE5 proves to be anything like RE4, it's a game I'd love to buy at its release. The Final Fantasy series and Devil May Cry are also the main titles for me. Other than that, FPSs, fantasy, and adventure/action are the genres I stick to.

Consider me uninformed, though.

The only thing that intrest me about the PS3 is the fact that the more crap you put into something like this, the more security exploits you leave in it.

Mark my words. PS3 will be the single most hackable console of this generation. Although they are making way on the 360, the PS3....its going to be the new Xbox.

Wait, the PS3 won't come with an HDMI cable? Sony is pushing that PS3 has HDMI and they don't even include the cable? That is some bullshit.

Wait, the PS3 won't come with an HDMI cable? Sony is pushing that PS3 has HDMI and they don't even include the cable? That is some bullshit.

If you can afford $600 for a PS3, you can afford the extra $30 or so for a cable..

It will have component output, but apparently component output downconverts the PS3's BR Discs to DVD rez although Im sure it would play PS3 games fine..

Thats an arguable point.

I'm sure a rig that can run Gears and Oblivion isn't ALWAYS the same rig that can run, let's say, this forum.

And getting a new card, processor, etc. is WAY more than a 360...

Yuna, for FPSs and Fantasy and the like, may I recommend Oblivion and Gears of War?

It'll save you hundreds of dollars...

Yay, spend less money for less quality. Hey, why buy a Lexus when you can buy a Kia instead and save thousands?!

Flamebait aside, I am amazed at the amount of online support Wii is getting, not just here but also at huge sites like GameFAQs. I'm very interested in seeing whether that's going to translate into anything with the mass market. I don't really expect it to mean that Wii will actually be competitive with PS3 in terms of total sales, since Nintendo always is more popular on the internet than they are overall. Still, even compared to other Nintendo systems, the Wii online support is pretty extraordinary. Interesting.

Yuna, for FPSs and Fantasy and the like, may I recommend Oblivion and Gears of War?

You may, but... I don't own an Xbox 360. Nor will I ever, really. For many reasons, it's not my type of system.

For the most part, I've satisfied my gaming appetites on PC games, what little there actually is that is both good and playable on my system. Things like Still Life, Vampire the Masquerade Redemption, and the Syberia series seem surprisingly rare. Which is sad, as all four had great stories (the former two being of the dark/mature variety) and flawless animation that never lagged on my system.

In looking up similar games, particuraly in role-playing, the results are disappointing.

Thanks for the recs. anyway. ^-^

Yay, spend less money for less quality. Hey, why buy a Lexus when you can buy a Kia instead and save thousands?!

Flamebait aside, I am amazed at the amount of online support Wii is getting, not just here but also at huge sites like GameFAQs. I'm very interested in seeing whether that's going to translate into anything with the mass market. I don't really expect it to mean that Wii will actually be competitive with PS3 in terms of total sales, since Nintendo always is more popular on the internet than they are overall. Still, even compared to other Nintendo systems, the Wii online support is pretty extraordinary. Interesting.

You're surprised that there's a lot of Nintendo fanboys at GameFAQs? Have you paid attention to the recent character battles?

Also, depending on the sites you go to there's still plenty of people dogging on Nintendo. "The Wii is an overclocked gamecube," "More of the same old crap," "The only thing on it that interests me is a Gamecube port that should have been out last year," etc.

I'm shocked too at the Wii support, because while it appeals to me a lot, it doesn't seem to be mainstream enough to be a major player in western markets. Joe Madden wants his favorite game in HD with the same controller he's used for 10 years and with top of the line graphics. He doesn't want to play it in a new way with slightly-better-than-current-gen graphics, IMO. Johnny GTA never wanted a Gamecube because the games all "looked gay." There weren't enough games with "mad grafx where you can gun mother****ers down." Of course, the whole point of Wii is to get people to play games who don't have those preconceptions--but it seems far less likely to happen outside of Japan.

I think Wii will be a hit early on, but will it have staying power? Or will it fizzle out like Gamecube and Dreamcast?

I wouldn't been on Wii being a huge winner in Japan just yet, though. Microsoft never even tried to capture the market (how about Blue Dragon, huh? And that other RPG...?). Yet, Nintendo was still a DISTANT number 2 in Japan with the Gamecube, behind PS2. You'd think with no real MS threat they'd do better, but it was pretty much total PS2 domination. However, things have changed with the DS, which basically is ruling Japan and a huge success in other markets, but that's a portable, not a console.

I'll say Nintendo will finish with at least a good 38% of the Japan gaming market this gen. Sony probably 58%. I'll be optimistic for the 360 and leave that remaining 4%. That's still a lot of creepy otaku who love Kasumi, transplanted Americans, and bruised bananas.

Outside of Japan it's really up in the air, but Nintendo has to do better this time than with GC.

Sony is going to have to make some monumental screwups to not stay #1. You don't go from #1 to dead last that quickly otherwise.

Atari suffered from the industry crash.

Sega suffered from 2 bad stopgaps, and the arguably the worst *major* system launch in history.

Nintendo had an unpopular format (cartridges), bad timing, and yet they still were very successful, albeit way behind PS1.