TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

PS3 .VS. Wii .VS. Xbox 360?

123 members have voted

1. 1. What should I get?/What are you getting?

• PlayStation 3
    • Wii
    • Xbox 360

I'll be getting the Wii. You can talk about graphics and all that jazz, but at the end of the day, the price tag on Nintendo's new console just looks too good to pass up.

I have a 360, and I'll be picking up a Wii (hopefully on release day).

Fuck the PS3, the high price, and all of the "omg it's a computer not a game system" nonsense.

Fuck the PS3, the high price, and all of the "omg it's a computer not a game system" nonsense.

But what about the 4D gameplay?

EA was on that shit 15 years ago.

g007863qeu3.jpg

It has polygons!

Oh and I forgot about Blinx! You don't go comparing your games to stuff like that unless you have something really special. PS3 is a bargain at $600!

But what about the 4D gameplay?

Make it 7D and we'll talk. :P

Mario in space - Why not?

The only interest I have in the 360 is for Dead Rising. The only interest I have in a PS3 is... well, I don't have any interest in it.

The Wii offers me something different, a new way of playing games and a refreshing new control style.

BTW - You can officially consider me a "mainstream casual gamer" now, as well. I barely have any time for this shit and when I do I usually tire of whatever I'm playing after about an hour or so. I think everyone shitting on the new "crazy style" for the Wii is failing to realize that gaming has become tiring, cumbersome and just plain old boring. I'll take Trauma Centre: Second Opinion over GTA4 or Metal Gear or Final Fantasy VII Part 1212343143.6 any day of the week.

In other words: I'll be buying a Wii, for sure, when it launches.

Mario in space - Why not?

As a long-time b-movie/horror fan, I know that "____ in space" pretty signals the creative pits of a franchise. :P

Wii has an uphill battle against it's disappointing previous predecessors. Plus, as I've stressed previously, they don't have Sony / MS' resources. Both of them have massive game studios with many diverse 2nd-party developers under their roof. Not that Nintendo doesn't have good ones too, but it seems either there aren't as many, or too many of them are doing mere extensions of previous franchises.

The only top-tier new developer I can think of in the fold is Retro right now.

And as much as Nintendo's cute, charming, cuddly games appeal to me, they need more mature titles to get that mainstream attention. 360 has it out the rear. Sony is never wanting for it. However, Wii doesn't have a Halo and it doesn't even have a Killzone. Red Steel is looking to be disappointing, and even so there's no Grim Gray Laser Death #2 that Joe Madden and Johnny GTA would like to pick up.

Of course, that's the point behind the Wii60 angle.

Anyway, my current positioning is: Wii 100% definite, crossing my fingers in hope that Assassin's Creed Wii isn't a brutally butchered version with worlds half as large. With Sega not producing anything of note yet, the 360 would merely be a doorstop for a gamer who leans more towards cute-n'-cuddly, odd-ball Japanese-themed games.

Thing is, I *know* that PS3 is going to get those games. 360? I doubt it.

The "in space" concept of Mario galaxy seems more of a "let's show off Mario's ability to circle an entire planet", which when I was watching E3 videos earlier this year I found really cool - not a "we've run out of things to do" scenario. But I know, standard cliche and all.

And hey, Super Mario Paper is always there too.

Also, depending on the sites you go to there's still plenty of people dogging on Nintendo.

Nintendo killed the Metroid guy!

Maybe "in space...." is different for video games. What other one is there? Dino Crisis 3 which is Resident Evil with dinosoars....in space. So it was too convoluted and silly to begin with.

Zelda in space can be next.

Also, depending on the sites you go to there's still plenty of people dogging on Nintendo.

Nintendo killed the Metroid guy!

Maybe "in space...." is different for video games. What other one is there? Dino Crisis 3 which is Resident Evil with dinosoars....in space. So it was too convoluted and silly to begin with.

Virtual Boy killed "the Metroid guy" (Gumpei Yokoi).

Sonic Adventure 2 had the most space-themed levels out of any of the other games. Although the ones in the other games were actually good.

Xenosaga - Xenogears in space! And it sucks hard!

Space Ace - Dragon's Lair, in space! (kinda)

Street Fighter 2012 - either in space or futuristic. whatever.

I'm sure there are mo'.

Zelda in space can be next.

It would be Star Wars, though.

I was going to get a PS3, but because I now have to wait six months, screw it, a 360 it is.

I think the "Mario in space" bit would have been cheesy IF they actually did stupid stuff like give him a spacesuit and all that jazz. As it stands, I think it's a pretty clever idea in execution, and perfectly fits with the past notions of Mario visiting different "worlds".

Mind you, Mario in Space could be what we saw when the 64 came out. Its just that silly intro, and you can move and do whatever with the remote before going into the game.

http://www.wii-x2.com/index.php?id=270

What you are about to read is speculation. None of this have been confirmed!

From IGN forums

I absolutely SWEAR to you all that you'll be getting the price, release date, list of games that will launch with the system, and a list of what comes with console itself on the 14th.

You know the drill, though. I can't spoil who my source is as he would kill me. I've known him for 9 years, and I'd trust him with my life. He got into Nintendo (or more accurately, NST) in 2000, by taking the classes at Digipen and getting on from there, as many Digipen students do.

I've seen how many people are complaining about how if Nintendo doesn't spill all on the 14th, they're going to be extremely upset, complete with the "Nintendo is stupid" rants and sudden lack of faith in the company. I can't sit back and let you people get upset over a lack of information at conference that is still six days away. You will get the information you want on the 14th.

The price will not disappoint. The date will not disappoint. The games will not disappoint, obviously. What comes in the box might disappoint a few of you, though. Nintendo is going to pack in the console itself of course, with two Wii remotes and two nunchuck attachments. As far as my source knows though, you won't be getting the classic controller packed in. Nintendo will also be deciding on the 13th, the day before the conference in other words, whether or not to add an SD memory card to the list of things included in the box.

To make up for the lack of the classic controller at launch, Nintendo is planning to pack in Wii Sports. The whole point behind the Wii is to get everyone in the family interested in gaming. Nintendo figures that two Wii remote and nunchuck controllers and Wii Sports will be an immediate hook for the audience they're aiming for. Many people remember those NES sports games as some of their favorite NES games. (RBI Baseball, anyone?) Nintendo is hoping to snag older fans back with this Wii Sports title. They're also hoping that older non-gamers (specifically, the parents that had kids that played games during the NES era) see the ease of the controller, remember that their kids played the NES versions, and gain an interest in Wii Sports themselves.

If you don't believe me now, you will in six days. So sit back, play your Gamecube for a few final memories before you pack it away and replace it with the Wii, and be ready for the 14th. You'll all be very happy.

http://www.play-nintendo.com/news/06090902.html

We have word from a trustworthy source that at least 26 classic titles are headed to Virtual Console for launch. Take note that this is not a final set; more could easily be added at any time, per the publisher's decision and formal announcements.

Below is the most recent list that our source has laid eyes on, listed in alphabetical order:

1. Bonk's Adventure

2. Castlevania

3. Duck Hunt

4. Excitebike

5. F-Zero

6. Kid Icarus

7. Legend of Zelda, The

8. Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

9. Mario Kart 64

10. Metroid

11. Mortal Kombat

12. New Adventure Island

13. Ninja Gaiden

14. OutRun

15. Pac-Man

16. Prince of Persia

17. Punch-Out!!

18. R-Type

19. Rayman 2

20. Sonic the Hedgehog

21. Star Fox

22. Super Mario 64

23. Super Mario Bros

24. Super Mario Kart

25. Super Mario World

26. Tecmo Bowl

Additionally, there are at least five brand new, never seen titles in the works for launch on VC as well. Our source was not able to comment of specifics of these games, only that they are currently being developed.

Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

God damn, I hope the Wii comes out in October, I'm getting one straight away.

I think the Wii is going to be insanely successful. For those people who are only going to buy two of the three new systems, I could see the majority of people that buy a 360 pick up the cheaper Wii, and those that buy the PS3 will also pick up the cheaper Wii. Then on top of all of that, all of those casual gamers who don't want to spend too much, or the parents trying to save a few bucks but still make their children happy could go for the Wii since it's cheaper.

And now, if it comes with two controllers and a game, that's even that much more inviting. Over time, it wouldn't shock me one bit to find out that there are more Wii systems in homes than 360 or PS3 systems.

I think its cool that they are including the W!! Sports games..I couldn't see them selling well anyway because they are just really generic games, but they seem to be a good "demo" of how to use the controllers and whatnot. An SD card would be great but they are cheap anyway..

The virtual console thing to me is irrelevant (although Id love it) because I dont have a broadband connection to the net.

I'm not so sure about Wii's prospects. I kind of get the vibe that the Wii hype is more like, snakes on a plane or Serenity type hype, it really seems to be concentrated on the internet.

I've not heard anyone who's any sort of casual gamer even mention the Wii or heard of it. I had to explain what it was and what makes it unique to people (to be fair, someone did say 'oh that actually sounds really cool' when i explained the wii-mote, but the point is I had to explain it), whereas I am always hearing about people talk about goods and bads of PS3. There's also the fact that it is almost too cheap price-wise compared to the xBox 360 and PS3. Those of you who really follow retail can attest to the fact that the cheapest item rarely wins. If anything, if the item is priced too low, it's seen as a "lower end" thing compared to the real items. It kinda doesn't make sense but it also kinda does.

That can all change though once it comes out but I don't feel the hype beforehand. It feels too "internet" and "hardcore" to me. I could be wrong though.

What is the quickest that a system has been released after announcing the release date?

In Japan, the Super NES was released a month after it was UNVEILED. Like, it was in October 1990 that they first showed off the system and Super Mario World, and it was out in November. I guess things were a little different back then.

What is the quickest that a system has been released after announcing the release date?

That would be probably the Sega Saturn's US launch.

Sega announced that they were "stealth launching" the Saturn that same day; retailers were about to recieve the Saturns and it was available for $399. Sega execs thought this was brilliant. People were going to rush out of the show and buy Saturns, along with crappy ports of Virtua Fighter, Daytona, and...well, that's about it. There was like nothing for months because even 3rd party developers didn't know of the plan.

Then Sony announced "$299", and Sega was screwed.

I'm not as optimistic as Downhome on the Wii, or as pessimistic as metr0. Now, Downhome was about the only one here to get a DS *right* away when it just had a bunch of really gimmicky launch titles. Not that they were bad, but the system's true potential didn't come until much later. On the contrary, most of the Wii's early titles are at worst solid updates to classic series, and at best look incredibly cool and fun.

As for people metr0 talked to not knowing anything about the Wii--where are you finding these people? I see parents at EBs, Gamestops, Wal-mart and Target constantly asking about the Wii. I see regular gamers asking over and over if they're available for reserve. The guys at my local EB said they can't wait for Nintendo to announce the details, if only because they're sick of hearing about it and having to tell people they don't know.

And as for the folks not knowing of it--well, system isn't out for months and there's been no TV advertising. Sony is throwing up billboards in major cities with all sorts of vague, stupid promises. Kutaragi comes up with several winning quotes to make himself look like a smug ass every month. In contrast, Nintendo has Reggie saying he's not on the Wii60 bandwagon, and that was like last month.

If anything, if the item is priced too low, it's seen as a "lower end" thing compared to the real items. It kinda doesn't make sense but it also kinda does.

PS1 was cheaper than Saturn. Game Boy was cheaper and technologically inferior to Game Gear. DS is, horsepower wise, much weaker than the PSP and all it's media features.

People look at a Coby DVD player for $25 bucks and a more expensive, feature-rich DVD player from a brand name for much more--and yeah, the cheaper item looks like crap.

However, game consoles aren't completely interchangable, because game libraries are what ultimately matter. Xbox did well, but it was almost always more than the PS2. However, the PS2's game library was 10 times better.

Kudos to Downhome for posting that info. Looking great. I own like 3/4 of those VC titles in some form, though. :P

2 Wiimotes? That sounds very likely considering the whole vibe they were going for from the beginning. Is that with 1 nunchuku attachment or two? The attachment is a gotta-have.

And yeah, TGS isn't going to be the reveal--Nintendo almost came out and said this already. It's only a few days away anyway. And don't expect a stealth-launch, even if there's nothing Sony could do about it. Nintendo isn't going to stealth considering they'd probably not have many games available, and they would lose a good 2 months to milk pre-orders.

I still say early November, with late October at the earliest.