Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

Ultimate Fight Night VI

Personally, here's how I saw the fight

Round One: Diego, 10-9

Round Two: Karo, 10-9

Round Three: Diego, 10-8

So 29-27

Diego and Karo were clooose in round one, it could have gone either way. Round two was all Karo, but not enough damage or control to make it a 10-8. The third was a complete MASSACRE of Karo by Diego. Diego smothered him at every turn, and beat the unholy bejesus out of him. Had the round not ended, Diego WOULD have finished Karo by the end, no doubt about it.

30-26 is a bit silly, but it's only a one point difference. Karo still lost regardless of that point or not.

Edit: I also wanna add that the main event wasn't the only one with bad scoring. Yuki Sasaki handidly won the final round with Lister. If anything, Lister flopping to his back in slow motion like a fish should have damn near made it 10-8. Granted, Lister got some stuff, but he had no fight whatsoever.

No way they'd have a draw.

And how can you give Karo round one? He was cut up and had his back taken. No way he did enough for the first round. 29-28 was the right call.

30-26 should be shot though, you're all right about that.

Karo took down Diego more then once with his judo throws, and usually by UFC standards takedowns count as points.

I gave the 1st 2 rounds to Karo.

Either way, I think there should be a rematch in 07.

Yeah Karo took down Diego with his throws...and then landed on his own back due to the momentum.

Yeah, they looked pretty and all but the judo didn't do much to help Karo out as Diego was reversing position like crazy. I don't think I've seen a better guy at scrambling out of awkward positions then Diego.

I'd enjoy seeing Koscheck/Karo at some point in the future.

Diego looked kind of lost or out of it whenever Karo put him on his back. I mean I know he's good at scrambling and reversing position but I don't think he's ever had a guy on top of him like that giving him shots. I don't mean lost as in "What do I do?" I mean lost as in "Oh fuck I'm not used to this. This hasn't happened before."

Basically he's not used to being in a losing position.

Diego's a great heel though and I think he knows it.

I still think we need the special mixed weight fight challenge between Stephan Bonnar and Diego Sanchez after watching TUF1 and the extras. That was funny shit when Bonnar was calling him Havier and when Deigo was like "I don't care if he's a 205er! I'll take him down and out!"

Quick thoughts:

- Koscheck is still by far the best prospect in MMA, though I kind of expected him to be past the "half nelson as a submission" phase of the wrestling to MMA transition. Oh, and he'd still skullfuck Diego in a rematch.

- Lister's head-to-body ratio is even more recockulous at MW. Also, this fight basically shows that he's still nothing special, as any good Jew Jeetz guy would've gotten Sasaki out of there. Though, the upside is that Sakara looks even worse in the end, thus vindicating my longtime skepticism even more.

- Leben's still Leben, and unfortunately for Santiago that means he's a pretty dangerous guy to trade wild punches with. Pretty "meh" fight otherwise.

- JVF/Rigg getting airtime instead of pretty much any of the other undercard fights is pure shit.

- Speaking of the undercard, Torres basically proved alot of people wrong, as it sounds like he handled Healy easily. Pat's not a top-level fighter, but he's tough and experienced, and tooling him in the 1st is a good win. Meanwhile, O'Brien did what he was supposed to and dominated Midoux, while Kampmann/Wallace sounded entertaining while it lasted.

- I hate Diego, but I must admit that he: is damn entertaining; is a Top 5 WW; and he won that fight. That stupid wetback has some insane, Hansen-level cardio, and Karo simply couldn't keep up with his pace, assumedly because he's a cocky Armenian bastard who didn't take his training seriously enough. However, I think this fight is pretty much where Diego plateaus, as Karo had arguably the weakest stand-up of any of the Top 5 WW's, and showed before he gassed that Diego could be put in bad positions and roughed up a bit.

Cue YPOV telling me how I'm underestimating him.

Koscheck vs. Karo seems like the next most sensible matchup.

+1 for Sasaki's performance though. That was pretty crazy. Why he jumped into guard, I don't know. That was just really weird.

EDIT: I definitely don't think Karo underestimated him, so I think you're not giving him full respect there.

But you're right about the plateau'ing, and you're not underestimating. Like most other welterweights, he will get murdered by any of the top three guys. This was his swan song. His next fight against either Hughes or GSP will bring him back down to earth hard. I still love the guy though.

And Koscheck will get a rematch with Diego soon enough, and it will be more competitive than you think. Kos' solid wrestling background will probably mean he will be able to control Diego better than Karo did and won't get swept, and Diego won't be able to just snake out and take his back. However, if it gets to a scramble Diego can easily get the upper hand. Koscheck's striking is worlds better though. Koscheck would be a solid favourite.

Guest DRH 502

Soooooooooo....it looks like I picked the wrong night to go to bed at 7o'clock. I guess i'll have to catch the replay. Fuck i'm so mad...I wrote this card off as probably sucking minus the main and you folks are pimping Karo/Sanchez as FOTY?? Damn...DAMNIT.

I dunno...Call me optimistic, but I think even if he was to lose, Diego would give BJ, GSP, and Hughes a daymn hard fight. Diego just has that extra gear that only some fighters have, he never seems to get tired, and he never seems to mentally break. Some fighters are technically strong, but not everyone has that extra gear that can keep them fighting, or the mental strength that keeps them in the fight despite horrible positions or situations. Diego has all three.

Granted, I'm not saying Diego would win against them, but I think he'd take them to a fairly close judges decision, which if UFC wanted to make alot of money, could be slightly skewered to Diego.

I think GSP would KO Diego, because his style is all wrong for Diego. But I think he would give Matt and BJ a tough fight. I have trouble seeing Diego take BJ down though.

Koscheck I think would beat Diego the 2nd time around.

Guest Brian

I'd be surprised if either of those three don't sprawl and brawl their way to a victory. I doubt GSP or Penn go to a decision.

I think GSP would KO Diego, because his style is all wrong for Diego. But I think he would give Matt and BJ a tough fight. I have trouble seeing Diego take BJ down though.

After seeing him take the straight right from Karo that snapped his head back against the cage and reacting like it was nothing I'm convinced that there isn't anybody in the UFC @ WW that could KO Diego.

After seeing him take the straight right from Karo that snapped his head back against the cage and reacting like it was nothing I'm convinced that there isn't anybody in the UFC @ WW that could KO Diego.

GSP is a much more powerful and better striker then Karo.

Guest DRH 502

I didn't see Karo/Diego, but I always remember Karo being the type of striker to close his eyes and throw haymakers and pray they connected...

GSP is much more technical, though thats not say he is that good. I wasn't too impressed against BJ, but as someone has pointed out he was fighting not to lose...blah anyway I wish I had this on DVD anyone know where I can get it (and not downloads i'm talkin DVDR) please PM me...my dude is out right now.

Just saw the fight on YouTube, and even though I'm a fan of Karo, I have no problem with the decision, apart from the aformentioned 30-26, which was fucking bullshit. At a stretch I would have almost given it Karo 10-9, 10-9, 8-10 to make it 28-28, but I can see how the judges came to their decision.

Now I just want GSP to win the belt, beating Hughes and then beating Diego.