TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Macaroni

Brian Pillman's Jump to ECW

Guest Macaroni

Ok, so a while back I found a video of Brian Pillman's debut in ECW, the (in)famous "Smart Marks" promo. Now, what confuses me is that when the lights come back on and Pillman's in the ring, at least one Pillman - related sign appears in the front row, and the people go nuts. Since I didn't follow ECW at the time (being Canadian and all), how did everyone know he was coming, and why was it such a big deal? Apologies for my n00b-ness, but this happened during a time where I was partially in / partially out of pro wrestling...thanks to everyone who helps out though!

People don't realize but the Internet and insiders magazines was in full effect in 1996 especially when it came to ECW. It just never made tv in WCW and WWE because internet fans back then did not act like "smarks" at WCW and WWE shows and try to keep it kayfabe.

I still think it was a mistake for Pillman to leave WCW. He was getting a huge push with the Horsemen and the feud with Sullivan. His career and life probably would of last longer.

People don't realize but the Internet and insiders magazines was in full effect in 1996 especially when it came to ECW.

Totally. Back then I got most, if not all, of my info from the RSPW news group mailing list.

I still think it was a mistake for Pillman to leave WCW. He was getting a huge push with the Horsemen and the feud with Sullivan. His career and life probably would of last longer.

How do you come to that conclusion? WCW was pretty nurtuting for self-destructive lifestyles in the 90's. His life probaby would have ended the same way.

Yeah, people forget that WCW had guys die under its watch too...Louie Spicolli, Bobby Duncum Jr., the Renegade (well, technically the last two had left WCW already, but still).

Pillman never even wanted to leave WCW. Pillman's contract was coming due soon, and he knew that while he'd be able to get the same deal he was already on, it wouldn't be anything special and that he'd be kept in the midcard. His idea was to convince Eric Bischoff that he (Eric) had created this hot character so that Eric would give Pillman a big raise, and therefore Pillman would have to get a main event level push in order to justify the money Pillman would be getting.

Hall, Nash, Pillman as the nWo would of been awesome but with Hogan around Pillman would be nothing but midcard.

Ding, ding, ding.

I think the plan was for Pillman to jump Kevin Sullivan out in the audience at GAB in the Falls Count Anywhere match. The Horsemen would have been huge again, and I'm sure Hogan would have shut them down even quicker than they eventually were. At least I believe that would have happened.

Pillman was never going to be part of the Bash as he was gone long before it happened.

Apart from that, if he had stayed Pillman would have gotten hot and then had his legs cut out from under him by the usual suspects.

yea remember at uncensored 96, the announcers kept asking where is pillman cuz he was supposed to be in the doomsday cage match? this was after he had already left the company no?

He at least made an apperance at the Doomsday cage if IIRC..

His last appearance was on a WCW Worldwide broadcast, interfering in a Flair/Savage (IIRC, might have been Savage/Benoit) matchup that was taped months prior.