TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Hotbutter Spoontoaster

OAO SummerSlam Thread - August/20th/2006.

Card and predictions:

WWE Title, "Championship changes hands on a DQ" Match

Edge (with Lita) .VS. John Cena.

Winner: John Cena.

World Heavyweight Title Match

King Booker (with Queen Sharmell) .VS. Batista.

Winner: King Booker.

ECW World Heavyweight Title Match

The Big Show .VS. Sabu.

Winner: The Big Show.

"Legend .VS. Legend Killer" Match

Hulk Hogan .VS. Randy Orton.

Winner: Hulk Hogan.

Tag Team Match

DX .VS. Vince & Shane McMahon.

Winners: DX.

"I Quit" Match

Mick Foley .VS. Ric Flair.

Winner: Mick Foley.

Singles Match

Rey Mysterio .VS. Chavo Guerrero.

Winner: Rey Mysterio.

I'm most looking forward to Foley/Flair, I guess. Hogan/Orton for the carwreck possibility with Hogan's knee. Hopefully Mysterio/Guerrero can pull out something like their Great American Bash 2004 match.

I agree with all your predictions, although I wouldn't be surprised if Ric Flair won.

You know looking at it on paper, its actually a pretty good card compared to previous SummerSlams, but I think the predictability of it all kinda kills it for most of you guys I think.

Disagree. Last year's Summerslam I thought was great. had a well-balanced card and the matches were damn good. Summerslam 03 and 04 might not have been good but they look to be much better than this year's trainwreck.

Oh, and the fact that none of the IC, US, either of the Tag Titles, Women's, and Cruiserweight titles are being defended on the show.

Yeah, sadly I've been getting used to that happening on the big name PPVs, especially Wrestlemania (aside from this year)

Here is a poll about SummerSlam:

What RAW match are you most looking forward to at SummerSlam?

DX vs. The McMahons 39.22 %

WWE Champion Edge vs. John Cena 16.32 %

Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Orton 26.55 %

Mick Foley vs. Ric Flair 17.89 %

Them marks are silly.

Here is a question, and I'll assume that these polls aren't being rigged (which might be a big assumption. Why exactly is anyone anticipating the McMahons vs. DX? It won't be much as a match and we all just know Vince and Shane have to get their asses kicked.

--SummerSlam preview for tomorrow night:

*Edge vs. John Cena - It's in Boston which gives Cena the feelgood story finish probability. The one thing we do know is that next month there is a TLC match in Toronto between the two. I could see Cena winning and the Edge getting his kind of match as the rematch. These two are likely to go on last, but Edge has done well when put on top, and they always have good house show main events.

*Hulk Hogan vs. Randy Orton - It's going to be a real test for Orton, because Hogan is even more limited than usual with his bad knee. As far as the finish goes, when this feud started, it was made clear when Hogan agreed, that Hogan goes over. Hogan has creative control of his finish, so on the surface, everyone will be thinking if he's picking the finish, he's going over. Personally, to me, Hogan will get over more by losing the right way due to the injury, and I think he's smart enough to understand that. So the question here is has Hogan thought the whole thing through and decided to take in the emotion of fighting hard and losing, or has he not, and will just take the win as planned?

*Ric Flair vs. Mick Foley in an I Quit match - This one is funny, because I could see these two almost getting into it in the dressing room over the finish. Seriously. Both will want to lose. Flair feels his role is to lose because he's unkillable, and Foley, no matter how the interviews go, thinks so highly of Flair as a performer (he was live at a Flair-Steamboat match in 1984 and he thought, at the time, it blew away any WWF match he'd ever seen) and that Flair is the bigger star that he'd want to put Flair over. Since Foley is the one with creative control on this finish, even in an I Quit situation, I think that means he's going to win out by losing. This is going to be a bloodbath and I actually believe it'll steal the show because Foley will have to construct something pretty outrageous to quit. This match and the Hogan match are clearly the two real main events on the show.

*DX vs McMahons - Because of the McMahons, this match will be like the Foley match in that we'll have copious weapons usage, lots of blood, and probably run-ins from Umaga and the Spirit Squad. I'd hope DX wins and then goes away, but that's not happening. So I see the McMahons winning and this coming back.

*King Booker vs. Batista - I think when this was first put together, Booker was simply a heel to get the belt from Mysterio to Batista, who the company believes is the big star on Smackdown. But Batista has no heel challengers. Since I'm figuring a clean finish in just about every match on the show, I could see them doing a cheap DQ finish and Batista winning here. Either way, this match is going to get lost in the shuffle. There is enough blood and weapons and brawling elsewhere, so they'll have to stick to a wrestling match, and thus far, nobody has exactly praised their house show matches.

*Big Show vs. Sabu - Since it's a Sabu match, you have to have some tables and chairs thrown in. But they can't overshadow the McMahons. Unless this is positioned late on the show, I have a feeling it won't be very long, nor very good, probably with Show winning clean.

*Rey Mysterio vs. Chavo Guerrero - Pretty much spelled out in this week's Observer on this one.

I'm calling around 450,000 buys.

Guest Kobe24KGold

Hah.

Foley and Flair arguing over who gets to lose.

Flair: "I'm losing this match, dammit...WHOOOOOOO!!"

Foley: "NOOO! I'm losing because I'M the REAL piece of crap...BANG BANG"

I bet Flair and Foley become best friends as a result of this feud. If the match is as stellar as both men are diligently planning it to be, I forsee a teary-eyed embrace in the back after the match.

Guest Kobe24KGold

Hah.

Foley and Flair arguing over who gets to lose.

Flair: "I'm losing this match, dammit...WHOOOOOOO!!"

Foley: "NOOO! I'm losing because I'M the REAL piece of crap...BANG BANG"

I bet Flair and Foley become best friends as a result of this feud. If the match is as stellar as both men are diligently planning it to be, I forsee a teary-eyed embrace in the back after the match.

Useless Summerslam fact: At least two members of the Smackdown six have fought each other at every SS since 2002. Its been Angle/Rey & Eddie/Edge, Benoit/Rhyno/Tajiri/Eddie, Eddie/Angle, Rey/Eddie, and now Chavo/Rey.

Useless Summerslam fact: At least two members of the Smackdown six have fought each other at every SS since 2002. Its been Angle/Rey & Eddie/Edge, Benoit/Rhyno/Tajiri/Eddie, Eddie/Angle, Rey/Eddie, and now Chavo/Rey.

:huh:

I just wanted to contribute. ;)

Maybe I'm just not getting it, I just don't get what you mean.

I have tickets for Summerslam. I hope it's not as bad as it might be. But how often does a Summerslam come around New England so I had to get the tickets.

And it'll be my first time seeing Hogan and Flair, even if they are WAYYYYY WAYYY past their prime.

I'm looking foward to Edge/Cena just to hear Cena's pop in front of his "hometown crowd"...It would be great if the crowd turns on him :)

The Smackdown Six (the nickname dubbed by the IWC): Eddie, Edge, Rey, Chavo, Benoit, and Angle. They were programmed heavily against each other in fall of 2002 by then booker Paul Heyman in a variety of matches on Smackdown as well as on PPV. They were the three teams (Edge/Rey, Eddie/Chavo and Angle/Benoit) that made up the tag division when the Smackdown tag belts were first introduced. Post-2002 only Chavo and Eddie teamed regularly as Angle turned heel and Edge was injured. The comment was just a note on the coincidence that some members of the group always seem to face each other at Summerslam.

The Smackdown Six (the nickname dubbed by the IWC): Eddie, Edge, Rey, Chavo, Benoit, and Angle. They were programmed heavily against each other in fall of 2002 by then booker Paul Heyman in a variety of matches on Smackdown as well as on PPV. They were the three teams (Edge/Rey, Eddie/Chavo and Angle/Benoit) that made up the tag division when the Smackdown tag belts were first introduced. Post-2002 only Chavo and Eddie teamed regularly as Angle turned heel and Edge was injured. The comment was just a note on the coincidence that some members of the group always seem to face each other at Summerslam.

Oh ok, now I get it. Thanks.

I doubt Hogan will want to lose clean to Orton (I just can't see it) so I'm just begging, BEGGING for Brooke to either accidentally cost her dad the match or just completely turn on him and side with Orton. I'd mark out big time for that.

I doubt Hogan will want to lose clean to Orton (I just can't see it) so I'm just begging, BEGGING for Brooke to either accidentally cost her dad the match or just completely turn on him and side with Orton. I'd mark out big time for that.

It doesn't have to be clean. They can work a spot where Orton tricks Brooke into hitting her father in the knee or just generally heel shenanigans and Orton wins that way. Hogan can look strong for fighting with a severe knee injury, save a potential return match with Hogan healthy and gives Orton heat for taking out Hogan. It allows each men to go over. Hogan by toughing it out against the odds and Orton for delivering his promise to "end" Hulkamania.

Hogan has put over people before if he knows he'll get something out of it.

As for Foley/Flair, the match itself isn't interesting but the booking will be. I'm curious to see exactly what Foley has in store for this. He planned this entire storyline out dating back to 2004 with Steamboat in ROH. This was the storyline he pleaded to use with Vince. Putting over how important it was for him. Foley must have something big in mind for this.

It's rare to see a political battle over who does the job which makes this whole thing even slightly curious.

I guess I'll give my complete thoughts on the show on how I think they should do this...

Opening Match

ECW Title

Extreme Rules

Sabu Vs The Big Show

*Pretty standard deal that’ll involve a table spot with Sabu and a couple chair shots but it’ll include Heyman, Bashams, Angle and RVD. I expect TBS to remain champion after a virtual non match because they can’t put the title off TBS just yet when a stronger TBS/Sabu match and a RVD/TBS match does more for ECW.

Time: 8-10 minutes

Mysterio Vs Chavo Guerrero

*Mysterio is leaving for 6 months to recover from his injury and hopefully repair his integrity after the past 8 months involved in this ridiculous character and angle. Finish seems rather predictable but I would like them to have a straight 8-10 minute wrestling match before the obvious Vickie “betrayal”. I just fear what is to come now with Chavo. Just drop the Eddy shit and stick Chavo back with the Cruiserweights.

Time: 8-10 minutes

I Quit

Mick Foley Vs Ric Flair

*The most intriguing match on the card and it has nothing to do with the actual match itself but rather the booking schematic that will be crafted in probable intricate detail from Foley and to see how much Flair will go along with it. Foley has been calculating this entire storyline and the eventful blow-off for awhile. He even did a trial run for it with Ricky Steamboat. That shows dedication. Foley will try to emulate Funk in this match by making it a straight brawl but that doesn’t mean the classic Foley trademarks like thumbtacks, (flaming) Barbie and wired boards won’t be utilized. Im hoping they go with a creative finish here.

Time: 15-18 minutes

Bonus Match

? vs. ?

*This is a extreme stretch and the only reason I suggest it is because they still have time to fill and it’s not like they haven’t placed bonus matches on shows before. It should be a US title match but I wouldn’t count out a Undertaker impromptu match against someone like Kennedy or whatever.

Time: 5-8 minutes

World Title

King Booker Vs Batista

*It should be short and indecisive. Booker was originally just a heel transitional champion but due to a complete lack of star power on Smackdown, they need to stretch the program out for at least another month. I’ll expect Batista to destroy Booker swiftly and that’ll lead into a overturned decision with Booker retaining via DQ. Crowd will shit on it but it’ll give Booker more heat and give the program additional life.

Time: 5 minutes.

DX Vs McMahons

*Speaking of stretching things out, this supposedly is the climax to that entire Vince/Shawn ordeal we have painfully suffered through since last November. Has a feud ever lasted this sustained without any significant storyline advancement beyond the re-introduction of a stable from 6 years ago in an attempt to boost merchandise sales. While the whole storyline has failed to evolve from whatever original intent had, it should end tonight. At least the McMahon involvement.

These matches are always the same and they haven’t been worthwhile in some time. Umaga/HHH will get set up here, where I expect Umaga to neutralize HHH and leaves Shawn to defend himself. This was Shawn’s war to begin with and it should end by his methods. They alluded that DX might have someone in their camp but I don’t think anything actually comes out of that unless one of the S.S members turns on McMahon and assists DX in the win.

Time: 18-24 minutes.

Hulk Hogan Vs Randy Orton

*One man desperately needs a win for credibility and the other needs, well nothing. Hogan stands to gain absolutely zilch from this from a personal standpoint except one thing. He can put Orton and himself over at the same time and that is a rarity for Hogan to accomplish (intentionally at least). Hogan’s knee injury is the perfect justification to put over Orton for tonight.

Hogan gets booked strong for fighting with a severe injury, Orton gets repute for living up to his name and actually beating a legitimate legend on a grand scale.

By doing this it’ll accomplish much more but as always it is up to Hogan.

Time: 10-12 minutes

WWE Title

Edge Vs John Cena

*I think a key aspect of this match is the presence of Lita and that’s why I think it vital they work a spot with Lita getting ejected from ringside because it accomplishes a variety of things such as a big pop and gives this match a new story to work with. Creates a alternate subplot for Edge to work with here. Likely Cena goes over here and Edge uses Lita’s ejection as the catalyst for his lost and this subsequently sets up the TLC match at Unforgiven.

Time: 12-15 minutes

The strongest match on the card will clearly be from Foley and Flair. I predict this match will get insane praise from smarks despite not being as a strong as indicated.

Ok lets be realistic, does anyone think Hogan is going to let Randy Orton go over? I mean you can say its a "passing of the torch" kinda thing all you want, but this is fucking Randy Orton. If Hogan didn't let HBK go over, I will be surprised if Orton goes over.

As much as Hogan needs to put a new guy over in a major way, this match ain't it.

The build after Brooke was taken out has been shitty, and with Hogan's knee fucked up the match isn't going to be good at all.

I like Randy Orton as a sleazy heel, and that's what he was at the beggining of the fued. Now it's just back to his Legend Killer shit that they pull out everytime the dude has nothing to do.

Plus, if Hogan and austin are going to have a match at WM then loosing to Orton along the way would be stupid. Just like this whole fued has been, after the first 2 weeks.

Hogan needs to put over a young guy, maybe even Orton, but not in this match.

The build after Brooke was taken out has been shitty, and with Hogan's knee fucked up the match isn't going to be good at all.

EFA.

Carlito is gold in that Summerslam exclusive video on wwe.com. "I've never been in a sack race before but I think I can handle the sack pretty well..." *music stops* "wait a minute no I didn't mean it like that".

Where is all this Hogan/Austin stuff coming from...again? Austin knows Hogans game so he isn't and hasn't been willing to play ball by Hogans rules.

Ok lets be realistic, does anyone think Hogan is going to let Randy Orton go over? I mean you can say its a "passing of the torch" kinda thing all you want, but this is fucking Randy Orton. If Hogan didn't let HBK go over, I will be surprised if Orton goes over.

Still can't believe HBK didn't win....he was awesome as a Heel again. I'll never forget and delete that HBK promo in Montreal, LOVE IT!

They really should add Lashley vs Finlay for the US title at least based on the Smackdown match..

I was thinking the exact same thing. All the secondary titles are totally ignored at a Big 4 PPV.

My Picks

Flair

Show

Orton

Booker

Edge

Chavo

DX

I'm interested in the reaction Cena gets tonight. East Coast crowds hate him, but he's from Mass.