TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Boxing Thread

Librado Andrade got robbed by a crooked ref tonight. Most maddening shit I've ever seen while watching boxing.

SCOOPED!

cripwalk.gif

Also, humorous AND prophetic:

"Funnily enough, I think Andrade actually has Bute right where he wants him."- Steve Farhood, as Andrade eats combo number 92 from Bute in the 11th.

Worst of all is that the HEAD OF THE COMMISSION raised Bute's hand and hugged him before the decision was read. Ref was on the take...man, that made me fuckin' mad.

I like Andrade and could care less for Bute but that wasn't even close to robbery. Bute went down with like 2-3 seconds left in the round and was up in like 7-8 if you speed count. Regardless if the ref took his time to bitch at Andrade or not there wouldn't have been any time left and Bute beat the count fairly.

Bute was up by 8 on what would've been a pretty fair count, but was still wobbly and leaning into the ropes. By just about any reffing standards, that's not considered a good enough condition to stop the count.

Yeah 909, stop being such a n00b... It's not even close with Meldrick Taylor Vs. Chavez in terms of bullshit refereeing.

You want to see bullshit refereeing, go watch Soto/Lorenzo. Stop blowing your load over nothing.

Taylor vs. Chavez wasn't bullshit refereeing. If the fighter is out of it, regardless of the time left in the bout, the fight should be stopped. And when a fighter like Bute is out AND the referee wastes time, that's a load of shit.

It basically comes down to whether you think that a KO is a KO, regardless of what point in a fight happens, IMO. Under just about any other circumstances, the fight would've been waved off as Bute fell towards the ropes again after he came back to his feet. I'm reminded of Merchant's comment on the Chavez/Taylor 1 ending: "Taylor earned those 2 seconds." To my mind, if a fighter is KO'ed in a bout, there's no way he can "earn" an exemption from the rules of boxing.

EHME, I know you're doing your thing, but come on now: at least Taylor managed to stand up straight, coherent or not, as Steele counted. Bute likely would've collapsed again was he not near the ropes.

Taylor vs. Chavez wasn't bullshit refereeing. If the fighter is out of it, regardless of the time left in the bout, the fight should be stopped. And when a fighter like Bute is out AND the referee wastes time, that's a load of shit.

Taylor was not out and was agreeing with what the referee had to say. It should've been a standing 8 count anyway.

It basically comes down to whether you think that a KO is a KO, regardless of what point in a fight happens, IMO. Under just about any other circumstances, the fight would've been waved off as Bute fell towards the ropes again after he came back to his feet. I'm reminded of Merchant's comment on the Chavez/Taylor 1 ending: "Taylor earned those 2 seconds." To my mind, if a fighter is KO'ed in a bout, there's no way he can "earn" an exemption from the rules of boxing.

EHME, I know you're doing your thing, but come on now: at least Taylor managed to stand up straight, coherent or not, as Steele counted. Bute likely would've collapsed again was he not near the ropes.

I wont deny it was controversial, but at the same time 909 is making it way bigger then it should be.

I think it requires an immediate rematch, and Andrade problay deserved it. But this is not the worst referee call, even THIS YEAR.

Roy is going to get killed tomorrow.

:(

Yeah, by Calzaghe's slaps? Sure...

Calzaghe might win a lopsided desicion, but he ain't going to "kill" Roy. Infact, I think Roy has a good chance to pull an upset.

Roy Jones will win tonight against Calzaghe by unanimous decision.

I think Jones will utilize the pot-shot tactics used by Hopkins but with more combinations. Jones still has enough reflexes left to evade most of Calzaghe's offense and coast down the stretch.

I am tempted to say Jones by split-decision given the randomness of judging but I will stick with the original prediction.

I hate how people are hyping this win on Calzaghe's record like he actually accomplished something great... Roy hasn't been shit since 2003. Beating someone 5 years past his best days isn't impressive at all.

Glad Max Kellerman called him out on fighting, Chad Dawson.

To be fair it was a good win for Calzaghe though hardly his greatest challenge.

Roy doesn't have the best record at Light Heavy but calling him complete shit isn't accurate either. Despite less than stellar competition in his recent comeback run most everyone commented on him looking sharper and more motivated than in his last lethargic outing against Tarver. He showed the quick hands, craftiness, and natural power that would make him a decent threat to Joe. Many including yourself even gave Roy a good shot at an upset but now that he lost badly he's suddenly shit and Joe deserves no credit. Come on, you can't have it both ways. Calzaghe did exactly what he needed to do and more than some thought he could do, completely dominate and mess up Jones in exciting fashion. Joe isn't that much younger than Roy with bad hands that have robbed him of what little power he had, fighting just his second fight at Light Heavy after spending most of his career at 168. Calzaghe could have a ton of excuses himself, the difference is that he doesn't need them.

Dawson's effortless win over Tarver wasn't that much more impressive. Tarver is just as old as Jones and has looked even more sluggish and undewhelming since the Hopkins spanking. Why is Calzaghe's win meaningless but Dawson's very impressive? Hmmmm. I sense some bitterness.

At any rate, I wander if Jones/Hopkins II will still take shape. I think the fight would be more competitive than some would think.

Don't get me wrong, Calzaghe still has a great career if he walks away right now but I do think Dawson deserves a chance at him before he calls it quits. Dawson would be an interesting challenge but I think Calzaghe will have the kid's number. Hopefully if it does happen we won't be treated to a wave of Dawson is overrated shit comments from Calzaghe haters everywhere.

Jermain Taylor v. Jeff Lacy next saturday on HBO while UFC is on PPV...........I am ordering UFC, but boxing will surely be DVR'd in the back.

Lacey has never recovered from the Calzaghe beating and Taylor looked pretty excellent in his last match with Pavlik despite losing and taking another pounding. Taylor should win a pretty comfortable decision. I heard Kessler may fight the winner and that should be interesting.

I disagree that Calzaghe's career will go down as "great" at this point. While he'll rank on a lot of people's all-time lists, it'll be based more on his abilities than who he actually fought at beat. Even with a good late-career run, he's still more likely to be remembered for a decade of questionable matchmaking and reluctance to fight outside of the UK, with the only highly touted fighters he beat in or around their primes being Kessler & Lacy (and alot of people are of the opinion that Lacy may have never been as good as suspected in the first place).

Paul Williams vs. Verno Phillips is at the arena right down the street. Chris Arreola is fighting too.

I'm going, bitches.

If you're an optimist, Chris not being at any of the local clubs recently means that he'll be in somewhat decent shape. If you're a pessimist, he's simply been hanging out at different clubs.

I disagree that Calzaghe's career will go down as "great" at this point. While he'll rank on a lot of people's all-time lists, it'll be based more on his abilities than who he actually fought at beat. Even with a good late-career run, he's still more likely to be remembered for a decade of questionable matchmaking and reluctance to fight outside of the UK, with the only highly touted fighters he beat in or around their primes being Kessler & Lacy (and alot of people are of the opinion that Lacy may have never been as good as suspected in the first place).

Depends on what one means by "prime." You could say Hopkins was young or physically prime when Roy Jones beat him yet he was hardly the crafty mastermind that would go on to take apart fighters like Glen Johnson, Trinidad, Tarver, or even Pavlik in his greatest wins. Hopkins is in his 40s and should be past his "prime" yet since he peaked years after the Jones loss he has been a top p4p mainstay with only true elite fighters in an inspired Taylor and Calzaghe edging out very close wins against him. The word "prime" can be misleading.

It is also easy to look back now and say Lacy wasn't very good pointing to a few shaky moments before the Calzaghe fight that nobody thought much of at the time. Many of those same people were predicting an easy knockout win for him coming into the fight and he was a considerable favorite.

At any rate, Haye was impressive against the always solid and tough Barrett. Don't think he'll beat Wlad or Vitali but he should be a good exciting challenge for them.

Dimitrenko also got a good knockout over the European equivalent to Barrett in Krasniqi. Not as impressive though, he's quick with a strong busy left but he's easy to hit and seemingly one handed.

Depends on what one means by "prime." You could say Hopkins was young or physically prime when Roy Jones beat him yet he was hardly the crafty mastermind that would go on to take apart fighters like Glen Johnson, Trinidad, Tarver, or even Pavlik in his greatest wins. Hopkins is in his 40s and should be past his "prime" yet since he peaked years after the Jones loss he has been a top p4p mainstay with only true elite fighters in an inspired Taylor and Calzaghe edging out very close wins against him. The word "prime" can be misleading.

Hopkins has enjoyed one of the better "late careers" in boxing history, and beating him now is certainly nothing to sneeze at (it's arguable if it means more than Jones beating him "pre-prime," so to speak), but I wouldn't dare say that the Hopkins of today is better than he was 6 years ago. This can be said of many of Calzaghe's biggest name opponents: Calzaghe rarely beat them at the peak of their fighting ability. That really does count for a lot when considering someone's career.

It is also easy to look back now and say Lacy wasn't very good pointing to a few shaky moments before the Calzaghe fight that nobody thought much of at the time. Many of those same people were predicting an easy knockout win for him coming into the fight and he was a considerable favorite.

The predictions in the lead-up to that fight was a great example of mass retardation within the North American boxing community at large. Most fans and pundits wanted desperately for Lacy to be something special, despite absolutely average showings in many of his fights leading up to the Calzaghe match. While Joe was a heavy underdog going in, there were a handful of non-British boxing fans who saw the upcoming fight as an exposing of Lacy.

"Hopkins has enjoyed one of the better "late careers" in boxing history, and beating him now is certainly nothing to sneeze at (it's arguable if it means more than Jones beating him "pre-prime," so to speak), but I wouldn't dare say that the Hopkins of today is better than he was 6 years ago. This can be said of many of Calzaghe's biggest name opponents: Calzaghe rarely beat them at the peak of their fighting ability. That really does count for a lot when considering someone's career."

I don't think Hopkins is better than he was 6 years ago but it would be tough to argue he's declined significantly. While he may not be absolute peak fighting ability as Calzaghe in reality isn't either, Hopkins is still one of the elite p4p and a win over him is a great one. That's how I see it anyway.

Eubank was a great win for Calzaghe as well all things considered. Calzaghe was an untested prospect who had never went the distance and Eubank still only had two very close loses to Collins under his belt. Eubank also made no excuses about making weight on short notice, Joe was the one who was actually having stamina issues in the fight as I recall.

"The predictions in the lead-up to that fight was a great example of mass retardation within the North American boxing community at large. Most fans and pundits wanted desperately for Lacy to be something special, despite absolutely average showings in many of his fights leading up to the Calzaghe match. While Joe was a heavy underdog going in, there were a handful of non-British boxing fans who saw the upcoming fight as an exposing of Lacy."

Not completely fair. Calzaghe was coming off a string of hand injuries that had many speculating at the time that he was done. Lacy was coming off an impressive knockout over Reid who gave Calzaghe a close fight, it isn't easy to see why he was the favorite.

But yeah, I think Calzaghe needs a Dawson or someone in that vain to really complete his record. It would also be interesting to see what Kessler looks like the next time he steps up. Doubtful Joe is even hanging them up now anyway.