TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  

Boxing Thread

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I want to see Wlad rattle the last few neurons Evander Holyfield's horrible dirty ass has left. My least favorite heavyweight of all time not named Chris Byrd or John Ruiz.

I think it's safe to say that any top deserving heavyweight that gets a shot at Evander is going to murder the poor old guy in the ring. He's a couple solid shots away from a coma

I think it's safe to say that any top deserving heavyweight that gets a shot at Evander is going to murder the poor old guy in the ring. He's a couple solid shots away from a coma

ARE there any top heavyweights? He just faced a top five guy and from all accounts outclassed him in the ring.

It's a bit surprising that Holyfield has only been KO'ed twice.

I wished the desicion would've went to Holyfield so he could finally retire. Dude wont retire until he wins a belt.

David Haye has tried calling out Holyfield, what a fucking fag.

ARE there any top heavyweights? He just faced a top five guy and from all accounts outclassed him in the ring.

I wouldn't rate Valuev as a top five heavy. The Klitschko's, Chagaev, Povetkin, Haye, Dimitrenko, and Juan Carlos Gomez are all better than him.

But there is only one top heavyweight. Vitali and that's it.

How pathetic is it that the most trumped up heavyweight fighters of our decade (I'm looking at you too Johnny Ruiz) can't even dispatch Evander Holyfield in his 40s?

To be fair, I don't think Holyfield was quite 40 during the Ruiz trilogy, and wasn't far removed from having twice gone the distance with Lewis. Of course, drunken recall isn't always reliable.

While he may not have been 40 by the time he started putting people to sleep with an assist from Ruiz, he was as shopworn as a 50 year old clubber.

Holyfield, from his debut until he really fell off at the end of the 90s was in more wars than any heavyweight, ever. He was the top cruiser in the world by his 10th fight and just about every title fight he had at that weight is a brutal classic. The trend continued as a heavyweight. Outside his demolition of Buster Douglas, he took a beating everytime he went out there (Foreman, Cooper, Bowe, Moorer) whether he won or lost. 12 rounds with Foreman, twice with Bowe and then ko-by, and the first fight with Tyson was a war. The guy should've retired already, but he went 12 rounds with Lewis in 1999, twice. By then he was done. He wasn't particularly "old" but his body and his brain already were.

All the steroids have just made it worse for him, and will continue to do so.

How pathetic is it that the most trumped up heavyweight fighters of our decade (I'm looking at you too Johnny Ruiz) can't even dispatch Evander Holyfield in his 40s?

Selective memory? Sultan recently beat Holyfield pretty soundly; as did Toney, Byrd, and Larry Donald(who interestingly got robbed against Valuev). As much as we all hate Ruiz, he didn't do that bad against the late 30s Holyfield that had just took Lewis to a close and somewhat disputed decision; even dropping him late in their second fight.

It also isn't hard to see why Holyfield's has not been stopped more in recent years. Outside of mutliating Rahman with headbutts, all his wins have been against unranked hand picked tomato cans with all his losses coming to ranked fighters or belt holders not known for big time power or aggressiveness; Valuev is big but hardly a knockout artist. Holyfield has also always been a great survior and unless someone goes all out like Toney he is going to be tough to stop even in his advanced years.

Though not a terrible fighter, Valuev has hardly been the most trumped up heavyweight of the last decade anyway. He's an alphabet title holder who's badly struggled against questionable competition for some time now. If someone like Wlad barely edged out a decision against Evander than you can make a post like this but Holyfiled/Valuev is hardly the measuring stick of a division that is struggling but picking up some steam as of late. I say again there is decent talent out there, the right fights just aren't getting made at the moment because of a combination of injuries and politics. Wlad/Povetkin and the possibly more competitive Vitali/Gomez are steps in the right direction if they ever come about.

In a perfect world I say put Holyfield against a young up and comer like Arreola and see what happens. Arreola could score an attention grabbing knockout or Holyfield could make a credible case for himself. Hopefully Chagaev can put his injuries behind him, take the title from Valuev again, and unify with either Wlad or Vitali.

Arreola stops Walker in a wild sloppy brawl.

Guest Agent of Oblivion
Did you start watching Holyfield in 1998, Agent?

I didn't say he wasn't good, just that I can't stand the fucker.

Not quite sure how I feel about that. Especially given that their first fight card of the year will be anything but the kind of card you'd want to ease a new broadcaster in on.

Really looking forward to that card, on that matter.

Few fights announced today...

Chris John vs. Rocky Juarez will be on that Diaz/JMM card. John beat Juan Manuel Marquez in a parking lot back in Indonesia a few years ago. It'll be his first fight in the US..and John is said to be boring. Rocky is also boring unless his opponent comes at him with reckless abandon, so, boring.

Apparently Ruslan Chagaev is going to face a Costa Rican guy named Carl Drumond. Never seen him. That'll be on the internet PPV.

Jose Luis Castillo is going to fight some bum on TV Azteca, January 17th. Broadcasted in Spanish, but I'll watch. If he makes weight. I won't make plans.

Barrera is also going to fight a bum, waiting for the winner of Campbell-Funeka. Marco needs to hang it up.

And lastly, Vitali signed to fight Juan Carlos Gomez.

Anyone else really looking forward to Pacquiao-Hatton?

I am... I think it's a really good fight and it will be a non-stop brawl.

Hatton training with Floyd Sr really helps him. Floyd Sr, and Freddie Roach are the two best boxing trainers in the world today IMO, and I think Hatton has a really good chance to beat Pacquaio.

Berto/Collazo this weekend as well.

Yes. Hatton's best against plodders and Pacquiao isn't one of those, but Pacquiao fought a shot De La Hoya. Pacquiao's last fight is still not a very good indicator of whether or not he can fight near welterweight.

That said I think Hatton will get stopped late.

Collazo is a good opponent for Berto. It'll be a tough, close fight.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

I think Pacquiao's going to fuck Hatton up. I won't say his success against De La Hoya means anything, but I will say that Pac's strength and conditioning looked tremendous. No reason to think that won't carry forward.

I thought Berto lost to Collazo tonight. I don't think it was a robbery, even though that 116-111 was crap. 114-113 for Berto is acceptable, and that's what the other two judges had it scored. Hopefully Collazo gets a rematch.

Guest Agent of Oblivion

Just watched that. I had it 114-113 Berto as well. Collazo looked a little gassed towards the end, and didn't have enough behind his shots. The one real good smack he landed early was with Berto off-balance. Deserves a rematch, though, I agree with that.

What do people here think of Taylor vs. Chavez? Do you think it was a legit call at the end?

I saw it recently and watched the HBO Legendary Nights special shortly after, and I'm surprised at how many people justified it. I'm a fan of Chavez so I was glad to see him win, but I still think the guy wasn't out so much as he was just distracted by his corner jumping on the apron. That fight beat all the skill out of him though. I was amazed at watching some of his more recent fights, not even in the 00's, but in the nineties, and seeing how his skills had deteriorated. He's practically retarded now. It's a shame, he was pretty fucking slick and quick as hell in that fight.

I've always thought it was a good stoppage, even considering that Steele had a friendship with Don King and even possibly was paid off. During Hearns-Barkley, he gave Hearns a chance even though Hearns was completely out of it. He may have learned from that, but I doubt it. There was still time left, and as seen recently in Mayorga-Mosley, one second is really all you need to finish someone. One more punch could've killed Taylor.

I've always liked Chavez, but there were a few moments in his career that made me wonder about officials being bought.

Pacquiao/Hatton hit a bump in financial negotiations, but appears to be back on. Good!

Pacquiao talked of walking away from the deal and trying to arrange a clash with Floyd Mayweather Junior, who is still intending to end his year-long retirement,

I'd rather have seen a Pacquiao/Mayweather fight, although the Pacquiao/Hatton fight should be a great one. Hopefully Pacquiao can be Hatton, setting up a Pacquiao/Mayweather superfight after Mayweather comes out of retirement.