TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

WWE News and Notes - 8/21-23

August 21st

No new deal for ECW TV has been signed yet, but it’s expected to be signed eventually. Vince wants “significant” rights fees; the original deal was dirt cheap as they needed to get on TV, but now the ratings are so much higher than predicted, Vince is playing hardball. NBC turned down Vince’s demand for a raise in rights fees, claiming there is no money in the Sci-Fi budget for that expense. NBC Universal wants the mobile phone rights, which Vince isn’t willing to give up. Both sides have agreed to repeat showings, but WWE want more pay for that. With no US deal, WWE hasn’t done a production budget for shows after 8/22.

WWE pulled Great Khali off of Summerslam because the house show matches were so terrible they weren’t going to risk putting it on live TV. They put it on Smackdown so they would have plenty of time to edit the match so that it could be aired. Apparently, what you see of Khali on Smackdown is so heavily edited that there are a lot of bad things you never get to see. There was an argument to keep the match on the PPV because they had advertised it, but the majority argument, that the match would be so bad why ruin a good show, won out. The feeling is that they can something out of Khali because of his size, but they cannot risk doing anything with him on live broadcasts. Dave pointed out that they’ve put some “rank amateurs”, like Zeus (albeit in a tag match) on PPV before, but this guy was so bad they got scared off of putting him out there.

The talk among the wrestlers is that the only drug you can get away with doing is pot. While some have beaten the testing, many guys, maybe even most, are getting off steroids. Though, there will always be exceptions.

As things stand, Mysterio will be working wit Chavo until their program ends at which point he’ll be taking time off for major knee surgery that he has needed for some time. Mysterio is believe to knee full reconstructive knee surgery, so he’ll be out at least six months. The angle, and it may be it at Summerslam, as that Chavo is coming out of retirement for one match.

Kurt Angle is working on a bad groin muscle, and it’s an injury he suffered before suspension. There has also been a drop in the level of respect towards Angle buy the wrestlers. At ECW shows, he’s always going to Dean Malenko with ideas to change things, not just for himself but for other people. People are talking openly about it, in a negative way, and Angle is being told to not make it so obvious what he’s doing for his own political good.

The 12/3 ECW PPV was moved from Chicago to Augusta, GA. The Hammerstein Ballroom crowd on 8/1 led to the change, even though some were outwardly saying the reaction was great.

Four new writers were hired, one of whom, John Carle, is described as knowing absolutely nothing about wrestling.

The segments with Vickie Guerrero, Chavo and Rey on Smackdown were Vince’s idea. Dean Malenko was the agent for the angles, and while they were going over it, Malenko was nodding and approving it and told Vince that Eddie would have loved it.

All of the ECW originals who were brought in for the project are considered to be tenuous at best, with the one closest to getting let go Francine, as Vince doesn’t think she is up to WWE standards; at the ONS PPV Vince went up to Laurinitis and asked who hired someone who looked like that (Francine). The only thing keeping here around is they need someone to lose to Kelly in the Bikini contests, but once those are done with she’s likely gone.

The page on the WWE website detailing the steroid policy has been removed. The original wording had it that a positive test meant an immediate suspension, but now the policy is to keep them around to tie up loose ends and doing TV jobs before suspending them.

There is talk among the wrestlers of reforming Too Cool, with Rikishi and Brian Christopher coming back, and possibly adding Ron Killings to the mix. Christopher was backstage at Memphis talking to John Laurinitis about coming back, but was said to have done himself no favors has his behavior has not changed from the last time he was there, when he lasted about a week before getting fired. There has been interest express in Killings, but nothing can be done due to his TNA contract. Killings has been unhappy with his push lately, especially at the last tapings when he was asked to put over A1 and almost quit over it.

It was readily admitted internally that Sabu botched a lot of the spots in his 8/8 match with Angle. Sabu was telling people he was knocked silly from an early suplex and was going on fumes.

Court TV will be covering the hearings regarding Ric Flair’s alimony to his ex-wife Beth. She currently receives $275,000 a year in alimony from Ric, but wants a lot more.

Sean O’Haire has been trying to get back in the company.

Johnny Fairplay and his girlfriend were set to have a second meeting with John Laurinitis this past weekend about coming in. His girlfriend is said to look like Lita, which might help her chances, but Fairplay didn’t help his cause the first time when he was asked what brand he wanted to be on and said “ECW”, which saw him labeled as a “mark”, because you’re meant to say you want to be on Raw, as it’s considered the top brand.

Mysterio did an autograph session Mexico on 8/11 that drew 5,000 people to a shopping mall. He only signed for about half the people before getting rushed out, and the people turned away trashed the mall.

Robert Brisko, a referee, and Eric Langley, a trainer, have quit OVW and it’s now said to be total chaos down there.

Not from WON but the latest Figure Four Weekly: The demotion of Tommy Dreamer apparently came at a great time, because Danny Davis, who owns and runs OVW, was on the verge of ending things with WWE.

August 23rd

Internally, Kurt Angle is severely downplaying how badly injured his groin is (possibly torn), one friend has said that it’s pretty bad. The feeling was that with his mentality and the injury that he had to be pulled from the ladder match for his own good. Angle’s physical problems are not helped by his turbulent personal life, as he and his wife are divorcing after splitting and reuniting and also she is now pregnant with his first son. Angle is insisting to people he is not falling apart and wants to get in the ring to prove it.

Foley got his angle in ECW changed, as the original plan was for Foley, Knox and Test to beat down Flair and Dreamer and Sandman would make the save. The storyline is controversial internally, because Foley ha creative control and isn’t doing anything he doesn’t want to. Also, some were questioning the ECW angle because Foley did the babyface promo and Flair did the heel attack.

Some Summerslam notes: (written before the PPV) Vickie Guerrero is going to turn on Rey and manage Chavo, the Rey vs. Chavo blowoff is set for NO Mercy which will be Rey’s last date before knee surgery, and the DX/McMahon stuff will not be ending at Summerslam.

Lita winning the women’s title was to set up a title match with Trish Stratus on Stratus’ last night, and was done because they have history of feuding and it never really hit its stride due to injuries. While you’d expect Trish to get humiliated on her way out, there is a good chance that she’ll get a happy ending and giving her a positive sendoff.

Chris Masters has left rehab for his painkiller addiction and should be back on the road soon.

Khali’s Last Man Standing match was a temporary blowoff as he is getting knee surgery.

Called the Sabu/RVD ladder match a complete disaster.

Lita winning the women’s title was to set up a title match with Trish Stratus on Stratus’ last night, and was done because they have history of feuding and it never really hit its stride due to injuries. While you’d expect Trish to get humiliated on her way out, there is a good chance that she’ll get a happy ending and giving her a positive sendoff.

They might as well have her win the title and retire it since Trish pretty much carried the division for the last 3 years.

Guest JustPassinBy

I agree. Have Trish win, and then she can give a tearful farewell and retire the title.

Then like 3 months later, the WWE can have a tournament that decides who is the women's champ. They can call it Queen of the Ring.

I agree. Have Trish win, and then she can give a tearful farewell and retire the title.

Then like 3 months later, the WWE can have a tournament that decides who is the women's champ. They can call it Queen of the Ring.

They would never in a million years do something like that, and by having such expectations, you are only setting yourself up for disappointment. That is just not the way the business works, especially WWE.

Guest DRH 502

I know this gets repititive but thank you, sir.

I love reading the WON news and appreciate you taking the time out to post it.

They might as well have her win the title and retire it since Trish pretty much carried the division for the last 3 years.

Or Orton will come out, RKO her and then the next night on RAW claim he may have delayed his destruction of Hulkamania, he did put an end to the legend of Trish Stratus once and for all.

Called the Sabu/RVD ladder match a complete disaster

Why because of a few botches or because the ending? I thought the ladder match was fine except for the ending.

Johnny Fairplay and his girlfriend were set to have a second meeting with John Laurinitis this past weekend about coming in. His girlfriend is said to look like Lita, which might help her chances, but Fairplay didn’t help his cause the first time when he was asked what brand he wanted to be on and said “ECW”, which saw him labeled as a “mark”, because you’re meant to say you want to be on Raw, as it’s considered the top brand.

I don't care for Johnny Fairplay, but that's one of the dumbest things I've ever read

I don't care for Johnny Fairplay, but that's one of the dumbest things I've ever read

He could always come back and say he isn't good enough for RAW yet and thinks he needs to spend time in the little league before making his way to the big time. That might make them smile. Course Fairplay coming in would make me want to hurt people because he's worthless in every way possible.

I figured Trish's send-off would be a backstage skit involving her finding Carlito in a shower with another diva, let's say Mickie James, and then spits in her face (an apple or some shower water, whatever is more convient, and tells her that she's not cool. What else would this Carlito/Trish stuff mean.

Or Orton will come out, RKO her and then the next night on RAW claim he may have delayed his destruction of Hulkamania, he did put an end to the legend of Trish Stratus once and for all.

Actually, knowing WWE, which can't figure out if they're pushing Orton or not, don't be surprised if Orton jobs for Trish.

I swear that I remember someone saying that Meltzer said that "The Game" was being sued.

He's not being sued, they're trying to void his trademark on "The Game". No litigation.

Really stupid. Wouldn't he be more of a "mark" by saying, "I want to be on RAW because it's the top brand!"

So, it could lead to a lawsuit?

No way.

It'll get thrown out of court.

This isn't like the Hulk Hogan/Incredible Hulk deal.

Game has Interscope behind him, and he's a musician, not comic book character, and that was the 80's. everybody was sueing everybody then.

Called the Sabu/RVD ladder match a complete disaster

Why because of a few botches or because the ending? I thought the ladder match was fine except for the ending.

There were more than a 'few' botches; it seemed like every other move was blown, and usually blown badly. It was a complete trainwreck of a match that you'd usually find on some Indy show in front of 50 people.

you're more of a mark if you say

" I wanna be on RAW!! and work with.. Trevor Murdoch!! Can i please?"

any TALL guys: try and sign with wwe. they'll treat you like the biggest star in the company and pay for all the surgeries you need.

dont do drugs and stay in school..

i dont get the ppv venue move for ecw.

whats the point of the move? and how does it affect them? it's a ppv so you want a good audience to perform in front of, unless theyre preparing for more guys from the othe shows and a Big Show ironman submission match.

the Foley stuff wasnt a big deal to me. the less Mike Knox the better.

dont understand the stuff with Angle. He's their top guy. As long as the long term plan isnt feuding with Show I'd be happy. And what happened to the new style he was supposed to be doing?

NEW WRITERS is not the answer for the millionth time!!

I'm sure Eddie would LOVE this stuff... if he was injured and was coming back. Aside from HHH you dont see guys featured who are not on tv. But the stuff they're doing is uninteresting to the live and tv audience

Why dont they make every storyline revolve around dead superstars?

Or jus have random guys feud with Rey just by bringing up the same stuff. "Hey Vito you're gonna fued with Rey next. You heard from Vicki's dressmaker that Eddie said blah blah blah"

what the hell's going on with OVW?

I figured Trish's send-off would be a backstage skit involving her finding Carlito in a shower with another diva, let's say Mickie James, and then spits in her face (an apple or some shower water, whatever is more convient, and tells her that she's not cool. What else would this Carlito/Trish stuff mean.

Assuming The Writers even remember those 2 are linked in a storyline together. I wouldn't be surprised if that pairing is never mentioned again.