TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anakin Flair

Lord of the Rings Trilogy- Special Edition

Just caught the commercial on TV- comming next week, a brand new release of the Lord of the Rings trilogy will be out with new packaging, each movie with two disks containing both the theatrical and the extended cut with all new documentaries.

Well, we all knew this was comming. The questing is- did it come to soon?

So, they expect people who probably already own both versions of the movie to buy another version? Yeah right.

If I ever want the theatrical cuts (which I may) I'll just buy the original DVDs on the cheap. I don't need this documentary crap.

Definitely too soon.

They could have milked it into a 3 movie set first. Then an extended cut set with new box art.

Actually, when you bought Return of the King extended edition, you could order the box on line for about $15 bucks. Also, it was released ina boxed set.

Definitely too soon.

They could have milked it into a 3 movie set first. Then an extended cut set with new box art.

Actually, when you bought Return of the King extended edition, you could order the box on line for about $15 bucks. Also, it was released ina boxed set.

Even so, they shot enough footage to cover the world three times over or something. They shot their load on this one too soon. They could have released this set on the 10th anniversary of the release of Fellowship.

I love the packaging for this new editions, but I'm happy with my extended edition boxed set. For those that have the extended editions, what did you think of the concept art for an alternate final battle scene from Return of the King featuring Aragorn vs Sauron? I never read the books, so I'm not sure if this would've caused a huge gaping plot hole, but I definitely would've liked to have seen those two fight it out.

I saw them, and while its cool they stuck both versions of the films on one disc, there aren't any other extras aside from the new documentaries which has me baffled. As an owner of the theatical versions, I wouldnt mind getting the extended version sets but Id rather pay more and get the 4 disc sets instead. But I'll wait..

I love the packaging for this new editions, but I'm happy with my extended edition boxed set. For those that have the extended editions, what did you think of the concept art for an alternate final battle scene from Return of the King featuring Aragorn vs Sauron? I never read the books, so I'm not sure if this would've caused a huge gaping plot hole, but I definitely would've liked to have seen those two fight it out.

Personally I think LOTR has a weak ending... Even thought it reading the book.

(spoiler thoughts)

Aragorn should have gotten to the cave just after Frodo, and held the ring over the flames while Gollum and Frodo fought, debating with himself, then finally dropping it in. Everything else could have been exactly the same, just with a more satifactory "Aragorn isn't like his fore-fathers" payoff.

So, they expect people who probably already own both versions of the movie to buy another version? Yeah right.

Oh, I know a few lamewads who will buy it. And they'll keep their original extended editions. And they'll keep their original theatrical editions. Actually, I don't think the term 'lamewads' does them justice. I mean, even I sold my original theatrical version of Dawn of the Dead when the Ultimate Edition came out.

Still waiting for the 12 hour uncut director's vision all-in-one HD-DVD collection.

I've been expecting that and one of the Star Wars trilogy for a while now.

Aragorn should have gotten to the cave just after Frodo, and held the ring over the flames while Gollum and Frodo fought, debating with himself, then finally dropping it in.

But that would have rendered the magic spell on the Ring kinda pointless. The whole point was that the ring couldn't be destroyed, as it's power was too great for anyone to resist for long. Thus, it's destruction had to be an accident. No one had the willpower to deliberately destroy it.

Which was a plotline that, truthfully, I never really liked. Evil can't be defeated? Temptation will always overcome you? That's a horrible message. (To put it in Star Wars terms, that's as if the ending of ROTJ was the Emperor tripping over his own feet and falling to his death after he kicks Luke and Vader's asses.)

For those that have the extended editions, what did you think of the concept art for an alternate final battle scene from Return of the King featuring Aragorn vs Sauron? I never read the books, so I'm not sure if this would've caused a huge gaping plot hole, but I definitely would've liked to have seen those two fight it out.

"Huge" and "gaping" wouldn't even begin to cover it. Try using descriptive metaphors like "Grand Canyon" or "Paris Hilton".

Personally, I never saw the extended versions of the movies. How much stuff was put back in, and was any of it really worth the time?

Which was a plotline that, truthfully, I never really liked. Evil can't be defeated? Temptation will always overcome you? That's a horrible message. (To put it in Star Wars terms, that's as if the ending of ROTJ was the Emperor tripping over his own feet and falling to his death after he kicks Luke and Vader's asses.)

I think it was more a message of, if you are weak or allow evil to overtake you, you can only be saved by those who are loyal to you. Evidenced by the King of Rohan being saved by Eomer and Eowyn being loyal to him even when times were grim. And also by Frodo being seen as weak at times but ultimately having his ass saved numerous times by Sam. The underlying theme of the films is that friendship, loyalty and love go hand in hand with success. Not that evil is undefeatable. If evil couldn't be defeated and temptation always wins out, the eye wouldn't have fallen.

The evil was beaten in large part by luck though, and I kinda agree with Jingus on that point; it is sort of a silly way to end it. But I suppose Frodo wrestling Gollum and Gollum falling over the edge is better then the was it was written, which was, if memory serves, Gollum getting the Ring, and dancing like a maniac until he just fell off.

Also Jingus, the extended versons are like, 35, 40, and 50 minutes longer, respectively. I think it is worth your while to see them at least once, because even though there's not anything huge that you miss, there's a lot of little things. For example, the Elven rope that Sam had; in the extended versions, you not only see him get the rope, but you are shown some of the rope's magical abilities. Nothing totally necessary, but it does add to the films in certain ways.

Well, okay, there is one huge part you miss, and that's what happens to Saurumon in RotK. Also, the Mouth of Sauron is in the extended versions, and he kicks ass.

The evil was beaten in large part by luck though, and I kinda agree with Jingus on that point; it is sort of a silly way to end it. But I suppose Frodo wrestling Gollum and Gollum falling over the edge is better then the was it was written, which was, if memory serves, Gollum getting the Ring, and dancing like a maniac until he just fell off.

Frodo pushed him and fell himself. Sam pulled Frodo up from the ledge and they took off.

I meant how it was written in the book.

And with that even as [Gollum's] eyes were lifted up to gloat on his prize, he stepped too far, toppled, wavered for a moment on the brink, and then with a shriek he fell.

Frodo pushed him and fell himself. Sam pulled Frodo up from the ledge and they took off.

In the book Gollum gets the Ring and is so overjoyed that he falls off the cliff himself. Tolkien was trying to make a point how the outcome was determined by an Act of God, but it never would have worked on film.

the extended versons are like, 35, 40, and 50 minutes longer, respectively.

Jesus, I could barely make it through the normal length of the third one. I cannot imagine it being 10 seconds longer, let alone somewhere between 35 and 50 minutes. The second one, yeah I could handle a longer version of that and a longer first one would be good if it's tacked onto the end to make it continue being fun. But that third one was brutal.

Guest CWMwasmurdered

I'll probably get the new versions because I'm a fanatic.

Gollum falling is really the only way it was going to work unless Tom Bombadil appeared in a flash and tossed it over.

I've never had a problem with the multiple endings in the third movie but I've also spent my entire life dreaming about seeing LOTR as a movie, so I wanted everything they could fit in to be there.

I also really enjoy the documentries, though that's not normally something I'm too big on. The sheer amount of hard work that went into the movies astounds me and I find all of the people featured to be interesting. I especially liked all of the features about building the sets and the weapons/armour.

Plus how Viggo bought one of the horses for one of the crew members.

Saw them today at Best Bufy, and I must say I like the packaging. But I won't buy them for two reasons. First, I'm happy enough with my Extended Editions. And second, I'm wary about how hte picture quality is. I mean, if they could cram each movie onto one disk before, why didn't they? Or is it a double-sided DVD?

the extended versons are like, 35, 40, and 50 minutes longer, respectively.

Jesus, I could barely make it through the normal length of the third one. I cannot imagine it being 10 seconds longer, let alone somewhere between 35 and 50 minutes. The second one, yeah I could handle a longer version of that and a longer first one would be good if it's tacked onto the end to make it continue being fun. But that third one was brutal.

I'm with you on this one...the ending to RotK was so agonizing to sit through at the theater...just kept going on and on and on and on.

I have the theatrical releases of the Trilogy and have only watched each one once.