TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Connzilla

ECW's next PPV 'December To Dismember'

Justcoz, sure Punk/RVD could be a major feud in ECW but the thing is that I'd figure RVD is history sooner than later, so why even bother?

The more and more I see these DVD retrospectives I can't help but think Vince made all his money for 2 key reasons: 1. He had the NYC/northeast territory and thus the most important markets. 2. The other promoters were too small to really challenge the WWF (Jerry Jarrett), or they made historic bad mistakes (Gagne in the AWA, Crockett's NWA). Vince basically ended up being the smartest of the dumb millionaires.

Yeah, I'm figuring RVD is history too but why not put over Punk first? I don't know.

The more that I watch the DVD's and things like WWE 24/7 - the less I understand as to how Vince doesn't see that wrestling was huge and made money in territories because there were different products that appealed to different audiences - so much that we pay him now to watch old NWA, WCW, ECW, World Class, AWA, etc. It doesn't all have to fall under the McMahon vision of sports entertainment. If it's all under his umbrella and he can profit from it - what difference does it make if it's his vision or Paul Heyman's?

This was the email that I sent billing at wwe.com earlier today - I had ordered the webcast last night. I really expect nothing of this but I'm more or less curious as to whether or not I receive a response.

I had sent an inquiry last night regarding my difficulty with the online stream at the beginning of last night's PPV. I completely missed the entire MNM/Hardys match and a portion of the second match. I would like to inquire about a refund or credit.

Sabu being advertised for the Elimination Chamber was a big reason that I ordered the show and he was removed from the event for storyline reasons with no announcement prior to the show. If it was known several days prior to the show that he would not appear as advertised it should have been announced. A PPV main event should feature the advertised participants.

Also the quality of the show was very poor and ended at 10:18 with about 25 or 30 minutes of PPV time left. I have never been shorted from PPV time like that ever!

Lastly, I ordered an ECW PPV and did not receive the same ECW product that I had known from previous PPV's like One Night Stand and the Rise and Fall of ECW DVD. I received two hours of pretty much a C level WWE show with squash matches that I could see on television for free. Less than two hours if you include the technical difficulty and missing what was said to be the best match of the show.

This was the second PPV I ordered in two weeks and will likely be the last if I receive no feedback or explanation. Your company should show more respect to their paying customers.

Honestly, I don't get why anybody can feel slighted by WWE for ordering the this PPV. If you've watched the television, know the roster, saw the card (or lack thereof) and still bought this PPV... No offense, but you must either be really stupid or really gullible. An Elimination Chamber featuring Test, a broken down Big Show and Lashley as its big stars as a main event is not a fucking draw.

Honestly, I don't get why anybody can feel slighted by WWE for ordering the this PPV. If you've watched the television, know the roster, saw the card (or lack thereof) and still bought this PPV... No offense, but you must either be really stupid or really gullible. An Elimination Chamber featuring Test, a broken down Big Show and Lashley as its big stars as a main event is not a fucking draw.

And you're right - I was stupid for ordering it. I was also gullible in thinking that it may have ended up a good show despite my frustration that they had five months of television to build this thing and literally didn't do anything! Old ECW PPV's only had a few matches announced. The ONS WWE-ECW PPV's didn't have many matches announced. I usually enjoyed those.

I was thinking that the unannounced undercard may have led to some unique impromptu matches.

I figured we'd see a few Extreme Rules matches to satisfy the old ECW fan base.

I thought that maybe we'd see some debuts. Maybe a repackaged Ken Doane or Johnny Jeter?

Get a surprise appearance from someone like Mick Foley or Terry Funk?

Maybe some sick "OH MY GOD!" bumps from Sabu in the elimination chamber?

I thought the crowd would be loud and fun like a typical ECW crowd.

I thought that given CM Punk's recent 'overness' that his star would continue to build, even if he didn't win the chamber match, I figured he'd eliminate Big Show or do something that could go into his legend in the making book.

I thought Vince would let Heyman book and pace this like a ONS PPV or something.

I didn't think they'd give us as little as they did complete with a muted crowd.

Guest netslob
Bobby Lashley, easily the worst ECW Champion since Justin Credible.

now, now, don't say things you can't take back.

I guess my point is that RVD/Punk should be a major feud with RVD eventually putting Punk over and making him a main event level star. If it's just "RVD is leaving and jobs to Punk on the way out" then it's not worth doing.

I'm not going to trash Lashley all that much. I enjoyed him in OVW, and the majority of his SD work has been decent enough. He's just not a real good fit for ECW.

This was the email that I sent billing at wwe.com earlier today - I had ordered the webcast last night. I really expect nothing of this but I'm more or less curious as to whether or not I receive a response.

I had sent an inquiry last night regarding my difficulty with the online stream at the beginning of last night's PPV. I completely missed the entire MNM/Hardys match and a portion of the second match. I would like to inquire about a refund or credit.

Sabu being advertised for the Elimination Chamber was a big reason that I ordered the show and he was removed from the event for storyline reasons with no announcement prior to the show. If it was known several days prior to the show that he would not appear as advertised it should have been announced. A PPV main event should feature the advertised participants.

Also the quality of the show was very poor and ended at 10:18 with about 25 or 30 minutes of PPV time left. I have never been shorted from PPV time like that ever!

Lastly, I ordered an ECW PPV and did not receive the same ECW product that I had known from previous PPV's like One Night Stand and the Rise and Fall of ECW DVD. I received two hours of pretty much a C level WWE show with squash matches that I could see on television for free. Less than two hours if you include the technical difficulty and missing what was said to be the best match of the show.

This was the second PPV I ordered in two weeks and will likely be the last if I receive no feedback or explanation. Your company should show more respect to their paying customers.

Again. You'd have a case for the Sabu thing if WWE did not put the disclaimer (*Card subject to change).

Again. You'd have a case for the Sabu thing if WWE did not put the disclaimer (*Card subject to change).

Yeah, again, I'm not expecting to win the argument. The message was more or less to let them know that they wronged their audience. Do you really think that I believe I'm getting a refund? An advertised PPV main event should be treated differently - especially when promotion for the PPV is built around that one advertised match! Also, I've been to house shows, this is going back a number of years, when the Ultimate Warrior walked out of WWF. They announced it prior to the start of the show and notified people that Psycho Sid would be replacing him and refunds were available at the box office prior to the second match of the card. Just saying.

Yeah, again, I'm not expecting to win the argument. The message was more or less to let them know that they wronged their audience. Do you really think that I believe I'm getting a refund? An advertised PPV main event should be treated differently - especially when promotion for the PPV is built around that one advertised match! Also, I've been to house shows, this is going back a number of years, when the Ultimate Warrior walked out of WWF. They announced it prior to the start of the show and notified people that Psycho Sid would be replacing him and refunds were available at the box office prior to the second match of the card. Just saying.

True. But you should have thrown in more smarky lingo just to piss em off if you didn't really want a refund back. And I went to the Great American Bash this year and as everybody knows, no one was there. They didn't say shit about it before the show.

and Lashley hasn't even defended the title yet!

Well, this PPV turned out so terrible that Heyman was fired over it. At least he show will be remembered for something now.

and Lashley hasn't even defended the title yet!

It could be worse just think what if Great Khali was champ!

They still do house show refunds for no shows these days. I went to Smackdown over the summer, and Undertaker was advertised for the show (against Great Khali, ick) and he ended up not making it. Refunds were allowed until the second match and they subbed him with Batista (his first match back from injury).

But still, it was awful shitty to take Sabu out of the main event, especially seeing as he was physically able to compete.

My only regret about last night's show?

I wish they would have presented that show at the Hammerstein Ballroom. At least it would have made for fun TV.

To those who say "Those who ordered this, got what they deserved" I partially disagree. I mean yes, if I was expecting ONS or ONS II, then yes I got what I deserved, but the thing is WWECW TV hasn't been all THAT bad, sure it hasn't been "ECW" but there was still an ability to put on some good, entertaining matches on a weekly basis. This PPV basically did the opposite of what a PPV should do which is take the best aspects of the TV product and highlight/showcase them on PPV.

The Elimination Chamber was SO awful that I pretty much refuse to accept that it was on accident and just hapened to play out that way. There is no way that once they started the match, Vince couldn't have chimed in through the headseat to the ref to tell the workers they need to go an extra 10-15 minutes because of all the time left. It is done ALL THE TIME on PPVs when they are either behind or ahead of time.

As far as the excuse of eliminating RVD/CM Punk, being that they needed them gone for Lashley. Well that isn't the point. They could have easily had RVD and CM Punk just go at it with each other for a good while longer, while Test and Lashley beat on each other. If they wanted Punk and RVD out of the match in the order they got eliminated, then fine, so be it, but there was no excuse for three eliminations to take place so fucking fast before any true payoffs to the match had taken place.

To those who say "Those who ordered this, got what they deserved" I partially disagree. I mean yes, if I was expecting ONS or ONS II, then yes I got what I deserved, but the thing is WWECW TV hasn't been all THAT bad, sure it hasn't been "ECW" but there was still an ability to put on some good, entertaining matches on a weekly basis. This PPV basically did the opposite of what a PPV should do which is take the best aspects of the TV product and highlight/showcase them on PPV.

The Elimination Chamber was SO awful that I pretty much refuse to accept that it was on accident and just hapened to play out that way. There is no way that once they started the match, Vince couldn't have chimed in through the headseat to the ref to tell the workers they need to go an extra 10-15 minutes because of all the time left. It is done ALL THE TIME on PPVs when they are either behind or ahead of time.

As far as the excuse of eliminating RVD/CM Punk, being that they needed them gone for Lashley. Well that isn't the point. They could have easily had RVD and CM Punk just go at it with each other for a good while longer, while Test and Lashley beat on each other. If they wanted Punk and RVD out of the match in the order they got eliminated, then fine, so be it, but there was no excuse for three eliminations to take place so fucking fast before any true payoffs to the match had taken place.

I agree with everything that you have said here, and you raise a very interesting point here... Was the EC match botched on purpose?

My only regret about last night's show?

I wish they would have presented that show at the Hammerstein Ballroom. At least it would have made for fun TV.

I thought it was stupid to book the show in Georgia, but that crowd wasn't really that bad last night.

Anyone who paid for the last two shows and is kicking themselves for it now, better think about this: what will you do for the next two shows?

Well, if it means anything the Smackdown PPVs this year have all been pretty good, although Armageddon traditionally stinks and the card looks the weakest for a SD PPV in a while.

Personally, I think anybody who purchased Survivor Series or D2D after knowing what the cards were got what they deserved.

First, no way I'm ordering either Armageddon or NYR - Rumble might be a stretch as well but maybe for $5 I would, same with the major other shows, Mania, SummerSlam, etc. But I'm done ordering any shows outright for the full price - its either $5 with others throwing money in or else they're not worth it anymore. These past two shows just ruined it for me, and I've had little issues throwing down on most ppvs for well over ten years.

And to be fair, Survivor Series had a TON of potential on paper. With DTD, I expected the book to be given almost outright to Heyman since they hadnt booked the rest of the card anyway, liked they didnt care about it, so figured Heyman could be given free reign to book a mishmosh of entertainment, like some older ECW ppvs were booked. When that was clear Heyman had little to do with the creative on this show, it had no chance.

Exactly, especially on your last point. That match, in theory, should have been able to showcase and get over ALL of the six guys in there, but ESPECIALLY guys who you have to protect to some extent to build for the future of the company (is that an oxymoron statement at the current rate it is going though?). Van Dam clearly is not positioned the same he once was, and whatever the reasons behind it, its stupid because he is over and the fans want to see him continue to be over. The same goes for Punk and the same goes for Sabu. The Punk treatment more than anything bothered me.

Regarding the timing of the ppv going off, my only plausable guess on what the fuck was the deal there is that they gave 15-20 minutes possibly for Sandman-Holly originally or with losing Al Snow as well for a match, they lost a few matches on the card overall and just didnt bother to change the times of the matches already booked before the change was made to go with Holly in the EC and/or Snow not being able to make it for that match. Meaning whatever the case the company REALLY doesnt care about the product or its viewers of such product. If there was a full show originally booked and you had to make changes, you still should go the full allotted time originally one way or another.

I think some of you took what I said the wrong way........people were jumping up and down about why Punk and RVD were gone so quickly that is why I said what I did.......it doesn't mean I think Lashley is some great champ but that was the direction they were going. I was explaining the things I was as to why the WWE would do things that way......

RVD is positioned differently due to his own stupidity.......I understand alot of people like the guy but he fucked himself. He gave everyone in that company who was against him all they ever needed to be able to say "told ya so". Vince McMahon really has no reason to trust him at all now........

I hate knowing that a guy that I've followed closely dating back to 2003 when he was working in front of 70 people in a gym in Indiana could actually win a WWE world title("valueless" as it might be, it's still something) and I don't have any desire to see it happen live.

Exactly how I feel. I don't watch the weekly show and only caught the PPV because we got it free here in the U.K. I'm glad that Punk's career has taken such a (surprising to some, although I always thought he'd be a decent fit in WWE) upswing, but I don't care enough about the product to watch him.

It's gonna be worse if and when Castagnoli debuts.

As soon as Lashley won, Vince should have came out and said " I know what you guys wanna see: Bikinis!"

I dont see anymore point in complaining about the show. Heyman got all the blame for any and all problems and they sent him home. Mission accomplished.

I think people are overracting a little.

But it was bad. Like an extended version of the weekly show, with a disappointing Chamber match and a decent Hardys/MNM opener which the crowd kinda flagged at midway through.

It sounds like a horrid show but I don't know if I'd go "Worst PPV ever" for it from the sounds of things. If it had a decent *** tag match with the Hardys/MNM and the EC was a decent main event (in spite of the disappointing booking) then that would keep it above worst ever status.

For the record, the Worst PPV Ever cannot have anything decent on it. Nothing. Even total crap like Fall Brawl 98 had a decent Raven/Saturn match on it that I liked. Of course this is a thread for a different section.

Wade Keller is saying it was Vince's call to only promote two matches ahead of time so as to focus the hype on those matches.

However, Bryan Alvarez is saying that EVERYTHING on D2D, as well as the decision to promote just the two matches, is down to Heyman and he's been in complete spin mode since Sunday night.

Summing up this whole ECW relaunch. Vince knows more about promoting wrestling than everyone on this board combined, trust me. I wouldn't have thought him capable of thinking the likes of Holly and Test would be accepted-even though I've liked some of their work-much less the rotating guest stars we had on ECW for a while. Maybe this is the alcohol making me state the obvious but did he really think he could take the brand and make it his own? I gave it a chance for a while, argued with some people on here over not giving it time, but like on most of the WWE, I've about given up after decades. It would have been easy to have a Smackdown 6 type group leading the brand, maybe Van Dam, Sabu, Punk, Benoit, Mysterio (without the Guerrero garbage) and a sixth such as Sandman but giving the fans what they want doesn't seem to be a priority anymore.