TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Doombiscuit

Civil War - Can someone explain this to me? MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Guest Doombiscuit

Being a UK reader of this forum I was quite confused by all the Civil War pics people started using about a month or two ago. American comics are quite expensive over here so despite wanting to I've never really followed them. However, having just spent two weeks in the States I've now discovered what the whole Civil War thing is about and seen some of the comics (which looked cool). I'm very interested in this but didn't really know where to start. There seems to be so many story arcs and my funds are limited. Is it necessary to read them all? Also is Civil War supposed to be part of the involved superheroes official stories (ie is Spidey now known to be Peter Parker in all Spibdey comics)? Finally are there any plans to release graphic novels of the series as this would be the best way for me to collect it. If there's anything else people could tell me about this series I'd be really grateful. Thanks!

Lately Marvel and DC are releasing just about everything in TPB/graphic novel format as soon as they possibly can so if you can hold out until then and avoid spoilers online you shouldn't have any trouble buying them that way.

Being a UK reader of this forum I was quite confused by all the Civil War pics people started using about a month or two ago. American comics are quite expensive over here so despite wanting to I've never really followed them. However, having just spent two weeks in the States I've now discovered what the whole Civil War thing is about and seen some of the comics (which looked cool). I'm very interested in this but didn't really know where to start. There seems to be so many story arcs and my funds are limited. Is it necessary to read them all? Also is Civil War supposed to be part of the involved superheroes official stories (ie is Spidey now known to be Peter Parker in all Spibdey comics)? Finally are there any plans to release graphic novels of the series as this would be the best way for me to collect it. If there's anything else people could tell me about this series I'd be really grateful. Thanks!

Basically be expected to spend all of your money on Civil War comics, the crossover is one where the main mini-series is shit in terms of being devoid of all depth and substance, that the mini-series only works if you buy and read ALL of the X-Over titles.

So basically you're going to have to buy a shitload of comics to understand and truly "GET" "Civil War": the main mini-series, Wolverine, all three Spider-Man books (Amazing, Sensational, and Friendly Neighborhood...), Fantastic Four, Civil War Frontline, Thunderbolts, Ms. Marvel, and She-Hulk to get the full story since reading just the mini-series will tell you jack shit about the story....

Yeah, you can read the Civil War miniseries alone and get some enjoyment out of that, but you'd really have very little of an idea as to what's going on.

The ironic thing is that Millar and Quesada are always going on about how Marvel crossovers are so 'nicely contained' and easy to get into while DC's are giant messes. Which is such bullshit because you could pretty much read Infinite Crisis alone and get it because it actually explained all the plot points inside the series. Whearas with Civil War you get all this shit going on between issues that just appears unexplained. Like "why's Cable here all of a sudden?" or "ok, why am I supposed to be surprised that Thor just showed up?" or "what's going on with Nick Fury." Or my favorite being the fact that Matt Murdock shows up as Derdevil in issue 3, yet in one of the crossovers going on at the same time, they mention that Murdock's still in jail.

Or my favorite being the fact that Matt Murdock shows up as Derdevil in issue 3, yet in one of the crossovers going on at the same time, they mention that Murdock's still in jail.

It's been revealed that Iron Fist was impersonating Daredevil while Matt Murdock was in jail.

Or my favorite being the fact that Matt Murdock shows up as Derdevil in issue 3, yet in one of the crossovers going on at the same time, they mention that Murdock's still in jail.

It's been revealed that Iron Fist was impersonating Daredevil while Matt Murdock was in jail.

Yeah, I know, but in issue 3 of Civil War it shows Murdock (not Iron-Fist-as-Daredevil) with Cap and the rest of the fugitives.