TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest messiahtype

Curt Hennig vs Randy Savage..

Guest messiahtype

i havent seen alot of savage's territorial work, or hennig's awa work either. thoughts?

Randy Savage.

Hennig was pretty awesome but didn't have Savage's charisma, ability to get people into his match, ability to draw heat, consistent track record of having great matches with so many people, etc. Savage was such a convincing preformer at his peaks (1985-1989, 1991-1992, 1995) and had an intensity level that is so far beyond Hennig.

And I'm not knocking Hennig because I'm a big fan of his.

Now if we're comparing their early work, they were both good. Savage was a great heal in the his territory and in Memphis. Hennig was very good in the AWA (particularly his last year there).

I gotta go with Savage as well. Hennig was a guy who mainly had a great gimmick as Mr. Perfect but for the most part as simply Curt Hennig he wasn't really as cool. Of course, Savage was never really anything but Macho Man to most people so it's hard to imagine him as simply Randy Savage.

I think Savage's career can be nutshelled with his Wrestlemania record...

WM2 - An entertaining match with George Steele on an exceptionally bland card.

3 - MOTN (& Year for some) vs. Steamboat

4 - Fun matches with Butch Reed, Greg Valentine, and Oone Man Gang before going over in the MOTN w/ DiBiase

5 - MOTN with Hogan

6 - Match with Sherri vs. Dusty/Sapphire had the hottest crowd of the undercard

7 - MOTN vs. Warrior

8 - MOTN vs Flair

9 - Nothing

10 - A final cup of WWF coffee vs. Crush

In a span of 6 Wrestlemanias from 1987 to 1992, Savage worked the MOTN in the biggest show of the year in 5. A pretty impressive stat.

Savage had it all. He could have had Hogan's spot and have skills to go along with it.

The guy was a God in the 80's, and even his WCW run up until before the end was good.

He just always got fucked by Hogan. Always.

I'm not really thinking of anything off hand. Hennig was undefeated until roughly WM 6 (?) and Savage was a heel from shortly before WM 5 till WM 7. Then Savage was retired briefly and Hennig was inactive after SS 91. I do know that they tagged at Survivor Series 92 vs. Razor and Flair. I'm not really sure about the WCW years.

Savage is one of my all-time favs, heels these days could stand to study his stuff....Hennig was just okay. Savage got great matches out of the Ultimate Warrior for fuck's sake!

WCW Road Wild 1997 -- Curt Hennig v. Randy Savage.. ;)

About 6 or 7 years too late!

Hennig was very good in the AWA (particularly his last year there).

Didn't he have a good series of matches against Jerry "The King" Lawler for the AWA title with one being a bloody brawl?

Savage is one of my all-time favs, heels these days could stand to study his stuff....

I'm sure a lot of guys are fans and have studied his work, but how do you copy his ring work and character and make it your own? That crazy bastard really is one of a kind.

Unless the person is roid raging and high on meth there is no way to copy Randy Savage the man was the product of the 80's leave it there and stop trying to emulate it. Just because a wrestler has a valet does not mean he has to be the overprotective jealous type nor does it mean that said valet has to get involved in every match causing a DQ finish.

I want to say that Randy Savage's style would be that of Junior Heavy style with comtepmories of Bret Hart, HBK, Benoit, Pillman. Being able to do just about everything from brawling, fighting outside the ring, knowing psychology, not being afraid to go to the top rope and able to work a fast pace match when possible. Savage was able to work the crowd through his mannerisms from his insane crazy "I'm gonna kill you" face expressions to the taunts he did such as the finger point. In his promos it looked like he was going to snap at any second and try to kill the camera man as if it was his opponet....now that's one intense crazy motherfucker! He would be all sweaty, veins popping out of his neck, and his eyes be all big as he is making his threats....I can still see him yelling "FLAIR! ITS NOT OVER YET IT HAS ONLY BEGUN! OOOOOOOOOHH YEAH"

The original Loose Cannon was Randy Savage.

I love both guys but I also have to give the nod to Savage. Sometimes Hennig appeared to just zone it in and it made his matches pretty bland (ala vs. Brutus Beefcake at WrestleMania VI). Savage was just insane and I loved every bit of it. The poster who previously said Savage's WM record says it all is definitely correct. When I think of Hennig I only remember his matches against Bret Hart but when I think of Savage I remember the battles against Hogan, DiBiase, Dusty Rhodes, Ultimate Warrior, Jake Roberts, etc. That pretty much says it all in my opinion.

Guest Askewniverse

They didn't face each other at the PPV. Hennig defeated DDP and Savage lost to The Giant.

November 24, 1992 - Survivor Series: Randy Savage & Mr. Perfect over Ric Flair & Razor Ramon by DQ..

Bash at the Beach 1997: Scott Hall & Randy Savage defeated Curt Hennig & Diamond Dallas Page when Hennig turns on DDP..yu

from http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com

That's the only matches they were in together that a quick search turned up.

They didn't face each other at the PPV. Hennig defeated DDP and Savage lost to The Giant.

Why didn't the schedule match take place?

"Hennig was very good in the AWA (particularly his last year there).

Didn't he have a good series of matches against Jerry "The King" Lawler for the AWA title with one being a bloody brawl?"

I've seen two.

I recall the first isn't so much a match as a interpromotion exhibition. Henning does some of his stooging, Lawler does his face stuff, non finish to protect both guys.

The second is a career vs. title match that gets off to a slow start with generic heel/face reaction stuff. It picks up once it turns into the Lawler show with the King blading and taking his crazy apron bumps to tease stoppages. A cool moment sees Lawler doing his "Hulk Up" only to get pounded off the apron and splatter on the floor with a back bump. Decent match but Henning isn't one of Jerry's better opponents.

But Bockwinkle/Henning 1 hour draw is also spoken off highly and the last ten minutes or so I've seen were fucking intense. Bockwinkle was the best when it came to firing people up.

Henning did better than say what I've seen of Savage's work against Lawler in Memphis. They were having a killer blood fued but when they get in the cage, Savage runs through his tried and true arm bar stooging...WTF? This is cage match in Memphis for cyring out loud. His peril is shit, grounding one of the best face bumpers of all time, just not good stuff.

I really haven't seen much good Savage stuff from Memphis actually. There's an Austin Idol match where he throws away the Elbow Drop in the opening minutes so Idol can no sell and make the big comeback. (And people complain about Wrestlemania V) While his brother stole the show in the Rock n Roll Express matches(Yeah he has the Morton/Piledriver spot.) Don't get me wrong, his promos rule, and he's always good for jobber squashing. But I haven't seen any worthwhile Savage from Memphis.

The thing you guys are overlooking with Savage is the fact that he pre-planned all of his matches in great detail. Look at Mania III, V, VII, VIII for example. Good matches, but they were all practiced and planned months before the matches took place. Flair and Steamboat don't even consider their WrestleMania matches with Savage that great because the matches were planned in advance. To me, a match is better when it is done on the fly.

The thing you guys are overlooking with Savage is the fact that he pre-planned all of his matches in great detail. Look at Mania III, V, VII, VIII for example. Good matches, but they were all practiced and planned months before the matches took place. Flair and Steamboat don't even consider their WrestleMania matches with Savage that great because the matches were planned in advance. To me, a match is better when it is done on the fly.

I'm not overlooking that, I just don't care. It might be different if I was getting in the ring with Savage but, speaking as an observer, Savage was a better performer than Hennig by far - whether the matches were planned or not. The long list of Savage's awesome performances far surpasses such a list from Hennig. Granted, Hennig lost some years to injury.

Guest Oblivious Heel
To me, a match is better when it is done on the fly.

God only knows how many matches you forget or never heard of because they were worked on the fly.

I think a great worker is someone that can adapt to a match on the fly, not someone that flies his opponent to his home in Sarasota, Florida to rehearse for WrestleMania III or WrestleMania VIII. Granted, those matches were great, but when I see Ricky Steamboat on Byte This knocking his own classic match because he was driven crazy by Randy Savage preparing for the match it kinda loses it's luster.

I don't care if the matches are as scripted as most of the promos are, as long as the match is good when I see it. All fueds in the WWE are practiced at house shows and in dark matches at tv tapings before they start on tv for the most part.

Just out of curiosity, who all planned out their matches?

I know DDP did, and I guess Savage too. Who else?